Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#301 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

I've heard that Starbucks on Government Street(beside Eddie Bauer) will be closing soon, not renewing their lease.

Also Cafe Artigiano is looking for a new location and will be closing their store in the Bedford Regency soon.

My source is a coworker that frequents both these coffee shops.

#302 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

This must be the first Starbucks to close in the CRD. I'm sure it won't be missed though, there are two a stones throw away and yet another three blocks up Government.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Anyone else heard that a Starbucks is to open in the Belleville/steamship terminal buikding?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#304 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

^ there is a sign out front that says so...

#305 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,875 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Anyone else heard that a Starbucks is to open in the Belleville/steamship terminal buikding?

And it's been quoted in the MSM more than once.

#306 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,104 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

6 am to 8 pm every day.

Matt.

#307 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

There we go. Now it's starting to make sense why the Gov't/View location is closing.

Know it all.

#308 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,154 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

Here is a behind the scene shot of the Starbuck's command center while under construction. It is located on the east end of the building looking towards the Empress.

This location should work very well.

Starbucks.JPG

#309 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

Probably... But those in the know will walk two blocks south to discovery coffee...

#310 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

While doing renovations to their Douglas and Roderick Store, Tim Hortons has a trailer selling their goods (if you wanna call them that) in the parking lot.

#311 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Update on the Belleville terminal Starbucks. It turns out it's not a real Starbucks but a licensed store (whatever the heck that means) but the Starbucks employees I spoke to about the new space seemed to indicate that it wasn't part of their "network" so to speak. I wonder if this is a new model for the chain and if licensing is how they can still push product but not worry about employing people directly.

Know it all.

#312 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,154 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

^ Wow, I thought ALL Starbucks were corporately owned.

#313 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,104 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

There are lots of licensed outlets, like the Marina coffee house in oak bay, or bc ferries, that 'Proudly Brew' Starbucks coffee. Gives you access to their products, but it's not a full Starbucks store, so you can't use Starbucks gift cards, products are not all the same, etc.

Maybe this is the same kind of set up?

Matt.

#314 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Update on the Belleville terminal Starbucks. It turns out it's not a real Starbucks but a licensed store (whatever the heck that means) but the Starbucks employees I spoke to about the new space seemed to indicate that it wasn't part of their "network" so to speak. I wonder if this is a new model for the chain and if licensing is how they can still push product but not worry about employing people directly.

Starbucks has sold licenses to sell their products for a long time. See http://www.starbucks...licensed-stores for more info.

#315 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've heard that Starbucks on Government Street(beside Eddie Bauer) will be closing soon, not renewing their lease.

Also Cafe Artigiano is looking for a new location and will be closing their store in the Bedford Regency soon.

My source is a coworker that frequents both these coffee shops.

i can confirm the closing of Cafe Artigiano, there lease was up and we decided to keep the space.  Stay tuned for what will fill that space :)

• Matt R. likes this
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#316 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

^whats happening in the upstairs space?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#317 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,875 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

i can confirm the closing of Cafe Artigiano, there lease was up and we decided to keep the space.  Stay tuned for what will fill that space :)

I hope the meeting/board rooms become available again. Had a VERY good exerience renting one last year for a party (with full catering through the hotel) and was disheartened to learn that it was no longer available this year. :-(

#318 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

^ Wow, I thought ALL Starbucks were corporately owned.

Starbucks locations that are not stand-alone, strip mall, storefront or mall food court tend to be licensed stores.

For example, airports, train stations and transit hubs, post-secondary campuses, Target stores and Safeway stores, etc., those are all licensed locations. It's different from a franchising system because a big company like Aramark or HMSHost tends to be awarded blanket contracts servicing a region or a general type of building/location (i.e. HMSHost operates pretty much 90% of airport Starbucks locations, and those two companies have worked together in that respect for a solid 20-25 years).

The only exception I can think of is the store at the Tsawwassen ferry terminal is actually a company-operated store, despite its location suggesting it would be licensed.

The easiest way to tell it's not a "real" Starbucks is that there will be a small sign near the register stating that your purchases will not earn you stars toward your Gold Card, and you can't redeem your free drink/food item. They can accept physical paper coupons, like the comp certificates given out when your drink is messed up. But for some reason, most licensed stores cannot process rewards transactions; not sure why that is still an issue.

Edited by bluefox, 13 December 2013 - 09:19 PM.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

I always thought that any location that isn't a full-on Starbucks will state "proudly serving Starbucks coffee." I've seen that at YYJ's Starbucks but I've never seen that in YVR or other Starbucks locations in airports within the US or abroad ...so does that mean those locations are or are not the real deal?

Know it all.

#320 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

^whats happening in the upstairs space?

nothing, I closed the Ledge due to lack of revenue.  The space is sitting dormant until I decided to do something else there.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users