Photo

Coffee/tea | General discussion on cafes in Victoria and coffee-related topics

• Please log in to reply
1142 replies to this topic

#141 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Hornby Island Roasting, but they roast an amazing bean, I get my coffee special order as it is unfortunately only available on Hornby itself and a handful of select grocers on the North Island...I apologize ahead of time if this is too "commercial" it wasn't my intention...but anyhow I'm very good friends with the brother of the roaster, Dale and I'm getting my order coming down this weekend, If anyone is familiar with the bean and would be interested in picking up some beans (can't remember exact cost, but its similar to Saltspring Island and all the other smaller roaster's around here, let me know and I'll up my order for when it comes down this weekend...either message on the board or privately...

#142 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

Not sure if this has already been mentioned:

Part of it, I think, is because Victoria B.C. Canada is one of the most desirable places to live in this country. You could say the same for Seattle… or Vancouver. We are a happy lot – perhaps happier… and coffee, generally the better coffee, makes people happier. And more alive. Even sexier perhaps… if I can be so bold...

Currently, we are on the eve of a potential financial melt-down in international markets… And yet on Vancouver Island, there are more jobs than people, more hope than sadness, more optimism than pessimism. It is really an Island.

http://coffee.bc.ca/...in-coffee-world

#143 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Speaking of coffee, it looks like the Blenz outlet @ Broad & View (side of Bay Centre Mall) has now shut down. With the conversion of the Yates Street location (St Andrew's Sq) to a Mirage outlet recently... does the signal a Blenz retreat from our market?

Serious Coffee is going to be taking over the old Eugene's on Broad. I wonder what will then occupy the soon-to-be-former location in the yellow building @ Yates/Broad?

#144 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

I hope so, Blenz coffee is terrible.

#145 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

Serious Coffee is going to be taking over the old Eugene's on Broad. I wonder what will then occupy the soon-to-be-former location in the yellow building @ Yates/Broad?

Thats a bummer - Serious Coffee seemed to help clean that corner up substantially.

#146 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Any rumors/ ideas yet on what might be moving into the old Serious Coffee location at Broad & Yates?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#147 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

Thats a bummer - Serious Coffee seemed to help clean that corner up substantially.

Maybe the new Coast Mountain Sports will bring more 'eyes on the street' to that corner of Yates?

#148 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

Speaking of coffee, it looks like the Blenz outlet @ Broad & View (side of Bay Centre Mall) has now shut down.

I don't drink coffee, so I couldn't comment on the quality of what they put out, but almost every time I went there to grab a snack on my break, the staff would be outside, around the corner, smoking. You'd go inside the store and there'd be no one to be found. Their pastries were alright, but I'm not surprised that it's closed what with so many better options within a couple blocks.

#149 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Trouble brewing on Saltspring Island

Saltspring Island has a new coffee roaster in the works, and Robert Bateman is steamed.Mr. Bateman, the famous artist and environmentalist, has joined island neighbours to oppose expansion plans by the Salt Spring Coffee Co., a carbon-neutral, fair-trade operation that's an entrepreneurial success story for the area. From Print Edition, 06/04/09

"A single wood-burning stove does more damage than our operation. Ask Mr. Bateman how many wood-burning stoves are in his neighbourhood," he said.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#150 Newlywednotnearlydead

Newlywednotnearlydead
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Ah Saltspring. Thank god that such a place exists as a mecca for these types of people. Could you imagine living next to a pompous douchebag like Bateman?

#151 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Must be nice not worry about things like industry and jobs.

#152 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Does anyone know what will occupy the former Serious Coffee at Blanshard/Yates?

#153 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Does anyone know what will occupy the former Serious Coffee at Blanshard/Yates?

There was a serious coffee at Blanshard and Yates?

#154 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

There was a serious coffee at Blanshard and Yates?

Oops... I meant Broad and Yates. :)

#155 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Oops... I meant Blanshard and Broad. :)

Aren't these streets parallel to each other???

#156 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Oops... I meant Blanshard and Broad. :)

3rd time's a charm:

What will occupy the former Serious Coffee space at Broad and Yates?

#157 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

Apparently the landlord's girlfriend wanted to open her own coffee shop so when the Serious lease ended they were given the boot.

I'll give it a year.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#158 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

Recently I've been buying cappuccino from the Five Corners Cafe on Fairfield. It's a stand set up in the front corner of the yard of a small character house, near Fairfield Fish and Chips. They make really, really good coffees and sell muffins and cookies supplied by Patisserie Daniel. They also offer barbecue hot dogs (veggie, beef or turkey or child-size) and have a huge selection of different sauces (I recommend No. 18, Sweet with Heat). It's cash only.

#159 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

I love that 5 corner's cafe! I don't understand how it's legal in this day and age but neighbourhood stuff like that should be encouraged. They make great smoothies too!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#160 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with the Keurig K-cup coffee makers and coffee?

I don't particularly like the idea of being forced to use one type of K-cup, but the amount of water I waste washing my coffee maker everytime is bugging me. This would also be good for work where we don't really have clean facilities for dishes.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users