Photo

Rising Sea Levels

• Please log in to reply
1357 replies to this topic

#621 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 07:51 AM

When people started saying climate emergency/crisis I just thought they had something up there. Hypothesis was completely correct.

#622 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 08:06 AM

Words are the most powerful weapon there is. The pen truly is mightier than the sword. It the benefit I see of this AI wave coming in. It might make the general population more guarded about what they read and hear.

#623 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 08:07 AM

...It might make the general population more guarded about what they read and hear.

Wanna bet?

#624 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 08:11 AM

No way!

#625 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:39 AM

So if a 70-year-old comes out of their apartment and uses a misting station at 4pm, then goes home, how long does the relief last?  Surely a cooler-than-normal bath or shower at home is a much better option.  Probably the best option is drinking cold/ice water.  Something almost every senior has good access to.

The funny thing is, if these misting stations were to somehow actually become popular and if crowds of law-abiding people were to sit around enjoying them late into those (very few) warm summer nights that we get around here, the stations would probably end up getting shut down. You know, because of the public disruption (livability is important), or to conserve water, or for some other ironic and ridiculous excuse.

Probably the best option is drinking cold/ice water.

Your suggestions are impractical. You'd probably also advise people to wear practical clothing and hats. You'd probably also advise people to avoid doing physically intensive chores and activities in direct sunlight during the warmest hours of the day. You'd probably also remind people that the sun moves, so the very same unpleasantly exposed spot at one hour of a very warm day could become a pleasantly shaded spot at a different hour of that same warm day.

(You might be able to tell I have extensive experience trying but failing to make straightforward reality-based recommendations to people, through all the seasons of the year. Dressing warmly in the winter is still a concept that hasn't gained much traction in my circle. Why bother if you can just crank up the heat at home or in the car, or simply surround yourself with electric heaters at work? And complain bitterly whenever you're in a situation where you can't just crank up the heat?)

• Nparker likes this

#626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:47 AM

The other week, experts told us this will be a very hot, dry summer for us.

Let’s see how that pans out.

Sunday’s forecast is calling for a 14C peak.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#627 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:52 AM

I’m just pointing out that the measures Victoria is taking are likely to have no impact.

#628 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:02 AM

I’m just pointing out that the measures Victoria is taking are likely to have no impact.

It's true, I doubt any efforts by any single city will have any impact in any way, positive or negative.

Let’s see how that pans out.

Sunday’s forecast is calling for a 14C peak.

Taking one day is silly...  I remember a Sunday about 7 years ago where the peak was 12C so already the temp has increased by 2 degrees...

#629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:17 AM

It’s no more silly, than highlighting the hottest day of the month, but we do that. I doubt the media will focus on the coolest day of the month.

It’s coming in just a few days, but so far no excited media coverage.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#630 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:22 AM

As we all know, dry summers are standard procedure on southern Vancouver Island, whereas truly hot days are rare. We had three very hot days in a row a couple of years ago? And maybe five very hot days in a row back in 2009 or whenever it was?

They may be right, it might end up being hot. But I'll believe it when I see it. At this point I'm still in "I hope so" mode, as I normally am in June when the weather is doing that familiar alternation between nice days/wet days/chilly days, and you've got your fingers crossed that we won't get one of those discouraging "June-uary" periods.

I've lived my entire life in southwestern BC. Over those decades we've probably experienced fewer than 20 very hot summer days that were hot enough to be legitimately disruptive and/or potentially dangerous. On the other hand, we've probably experienced hundreds of very cold winter days that were cold enough to be legitimately disruptive and/or potentially dangerous. I think many people underestimate the negative psychological effects when you don't get at least one decent run of genuinely warm weather. Last year we had enjoyable weather through September into October and I gotta say, I really tried to take advantage of it, because we've also had years when autumn was in the air before the end of August.

Edited by aastra, 13 June 2023 - 11:22 AM.

#631 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:25 AM

It is heresy to infuse the climate emergency narrative with facts.

#632 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:40 AM

It’s no more silly, than highlighting the hottest day of the month, but we do that. I doubt the media will focus on the coolest day of the month.

We got the “extreme weather warning” already, windy and cool. Look out!

#633 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:51 AM

It is heresy to infuse the climate emergency narrative with facts.

You mean anecdotes...  Now I've never thought emergency is really the right word, this is used by media and some of you folks.  I do not hear this day to day from people, but there is a change occurring and its a little more rapid than you 4 million year example of the climate changing.  Man has had some effect certainly.  The media will always over compensate to get a decent headline.  We know this, it causes discussion on most of the boards here.

#634 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 11:57 AM

But media only tells one side. The apocalypse side. Global warming is extremely beneficial to Canada. But not a single story on that. It’s hypocritical.

#635 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 12:13 PM

But media only tells one side. The apocalypse side. Global warming is extremely beneficial to Canada. But not a single story on that. It’s hypocritical.

100% it does... and has for the last 50 years I've been around...

#636 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:08 PM

We got the “extreme weather warning” already, windy and cool. Look out!

We did?

It’s certainly cooling down. It was even drizzling today. That wasn’t in the forecast.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#637 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:14 PM

...It was even drizzling today. That wasn’t in the forecast.

I discovered the inaccuracy of today's forecast just now when I walked up to Save-on-Foods to get some groceries. It was windy and drizzly.

Why should I have unquestioning faith in climate models that allegedly predict the weather for the next century, when the local forecast isn't even correct from hour-to-hour?

#638 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:46 PM

Ah but here you are being just as silly..  You are right highlighting the hottest day is silly, highlighting a record or an average increase might not be as such.  Now if they said every day this month will be 30C then sure.  

#639 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 02:03 PM

Do gardens self-combust, or explode into balls of fire?

This just in from the CRD. This is what we’re talking about.

IMG_0269.jpeg

Know it all.

#640 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 03:19 PM

As long as these international parties for the global elite continue to take place around the planet, I refuse to accept the current climate situation as an emergency.

https://unfccc.int/s...0 May to 4 June.

...Of the roughly 7,500 registered delegates and observer organization representatives, about 1,400 have opted for the Secretariat's new “virtual-only” badge. It allows full remote participation, including access to the meetings and events via the virtual participant platform, without physical presence in Bonn...

https://sdg.iisd.org...-unfccc-cop-28/

https://unfccc.int/cop28

...COP28, which will be hosted in the UAE in 2023 at Expo City Dubai, will be an important global event coinciding with the UAE National Day, adding that the event will welcome high-level participation, including over 140 heads of state and government leaders, over 80,000 delegates and more than 5,000 media professionals...

https://www.mofaic.g...-2022-uae-cop28

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users