Rising Sea Levels

• Please log in to reply
1531 replies to this topic

#1141 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,565 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:49 AM

What argument? All I have done is given information?
If two years is not useful information re the climate change debate as I said then how useful is one year?

See my chart. You comparing just 2023 to other years is ridiculous.

#1142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:51 AM

Furthermore, wells are drying up and not refilling to earlier levels because of densification in rural areas tapping into existing resources. We promoted new homes with suites, and now we have them everywhere. We also promoted more garden suites, which have an effect on limited resources like wells.

The CRD is not friendly to water line expansions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1143 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,565 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:59 AM

What argument? All I have done is given information?
If two years is not useful information re the climate change debate as I said then how useful is one year?

My example was 24 years. Yes your one or two year change is dumb.

#1144 Tony

Tony
  • 604 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 01:49 PM

What argument? I provided information. The last two years precipitation has been significantly below normal. Total precipitation for the summer of 2023 was significantly below normal. These are facts and will have consequences on the 2024 fire season.

The recent dryness is a concern that Fire Rescue Fire Smart coordinators should be worried about. She has an opinion on climate change. I made no statement about climate change.

My comments were not as you seem to suggest  support for a stance around the  argument about climate change. The climate change issue is more than just rainfall and temperatures.

For me the best measures that we have in  respect to the climate change debate is atmospheric CO2 levels. If you believe that increased levels of CO2 result in overall temperature increases for the plant,  then the recent ( 200years) continued rapid increase in CO2 would indicate that our climate will change as it has in the past. If you believe that the increase in CO2 levels has been significantly affected by human activity over the last 150 years then we are major contributor to any climate that results. 

Arguing over specific temperature or precipitation data is of little use. Such data is so variable and may or may not accurately reflect the long term trends of climate change. Most people believe that our planet climate has changed warmer/colder over long periods in the past and will continue to change.

The discussion seems to be:  to what degree human activity is and has contributed  to the ongoing current state of climate change that naturally occurs: how fast is change happening and is it faster because of human activity: should we worry about climate change : can  or should we spend resources to try and reduce CO2  emissions etc. etc.

Climate change is real. It is a matter of do we make a difference positive or negative with they way we are and have been living for the last 200 year. If we do make a difference is it worth doing something about it?

Edited by Tony, 24 February 2024 - 01:55 PM.

#1145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 02:07 PM

Normal means, if today it’s 20 degrees C, and tomorrow it’s 30 degrees C, normal is 25C. But it never actually happened, there was no day with a peak of 25C.

What was normal, was 20 degrees one day, 30 the next.

Watcher’s graph shows us a range that is typical, and 2023 was in that range.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1146 Tony

Tony
  • 604 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:13 PM

Normal has many different interpretations. For this reason I clearly defined my definition of normal for the dryness of last summer as the average of the amount of rain for the  time period. in Watchers graph. Based on that definition 2023 summer rainfall was 42% less than normal.

#1147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:39 PM

If it has so many interpretations, then we can’t even define normal.

Know it all.

#1148 Tony

Tony
  • 604 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:47 PM

No if your discussing what you mean by normal you give a definition. If you have agreement on the definition then the discussion can continue.

If two people have a different definition of normal they are not able to have a useful discussion.

#1149 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,565 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 01:17 AM

Insurance panic looms for Greater Victoria homeowners facing climate impacts

Coverage prices could rise due to the impacts of climate change-fueled disasters

Climate change isn’t a direct cause of earthquakes but can still trigger “slow earthquakes,” according to NASA. Major storms including hurricanes can also create atmospheric pressure and spark a quake.

_________

While there is good news for the financial security of insurance companies, homeowners can also rejoice as Marcoux reported they can expect more money in their pockets. Marcoux said homeowners can suspect insurance rates to see a drop because the industry is currently shifting from a market where coverage is expensive and hard to find, to one that’s cheaper and readily available.

https://www.vicnews....impacts-7321974

That’s quite an article. It continues to astound me that that reporter has a job in this field. She writes some crazy rambling stuff. Amazing.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 February 2024 - 01:18 AM.

#1150 Tony

Tony
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:22 AM

I hope it is a club reporter and that it is used by an editor as a learning opportunity for this reporter.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1151 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,565 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:26 AM

Marcoux said homeowners can suspect insurance rates to see a drop because the industry is currently shifting from a market where coverage is expensive and hard to find, to one that’s cheaper and readily available.

Great shift by the industry!

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1152 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2024 - 11:43 AM

Great shift by the industry!

and completely the opposite of what the headline says.  :badpc:

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 03:22 PM

They are on the verge of going full AI anyway, to provide the content that can be wrapped by advertisement.

I don’t think there is any other industry so protected by government dollars and still unable to fulfil its simple role.
  • phx and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#1154 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,565 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 03:24 PM

Yuo. So screwy.

We need local media!

Yet they are useless. They just read social media then make an article. So lame.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 February 2024 - 03:26 PM.

#1155 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2024 - 05:38 PM

AI can probably already do a better job, given the info. But there’s no AI that can pound the streets.

#1156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:04 PM

Neither do the journalists.

Know it all.

#1157 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:05 PM

I don’t (intentionally) consume any local media. Only social media. Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t think I’m missing anything 🤷‍♂️
  • Nparker likes this

#1158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:05 PM

Nothing.

There are, maybe, ten serious journalists in this entire city. Maybe 20? And there must be hundreds of people employed as “journalists.”

Know it all.

#1159 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,026 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:07 PM

I don’t (intentionally) consume any local media. Only social media. Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t think I’m missing anything ‍♂

I stopped consuming all traditional news media at the start of the pandemic and I can't say that I miss it in the least.

• dasmo likes this

#1160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:07 PM

It’s like cutting cable. You miss it for the first month. Then you never look back.
  • Nparker, Victoria Watcher and max.bravo like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users