Tower in North Saanich turned down

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

This is a fascinating topic. Check this out:

A combination of factors may have originally caused birds to migrate. Advances and retreats of Pleistocene ice sheets across what is now Canada and the northern United States may have affected the distribution and movements of birds. The Pleistocene Ice Age ended some 11,000 years ago, and some scientists believe that migratory instincts evolved during that time. Other experts point out that the Pleistocene glacier comprised only a hundredth of the time span birds have existed on the planet, perhaps not long enough to condition them to migrate.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

I see. Birds didn't even migrate before? I thought birds migrated because they didn't like cold winters. Don't tell me winters are newer than Mt. Baker.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

I'm not really clear on it. Somebody was saying all sorts of birds survived the most recent ice age...in the Yukon. Apparently there was an un-glaciated section there even while there was ice all the way down to (what is now) Seattle.

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

What just happened to this thread?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

The weird reflex kicked in. When people act bizarre it's a normal response to act equally weird so as to fit in. One group pretends that cell phone towers heat up bed frames, so other people decide to level a mountain.

Perfectly normal reaction.

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:11 PM

Are you suggesting blasting the mountain might cool the bed frame?

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:39 PM

If [url=http://omega.twoday.net/stories/863141/:f0db0]this person[/url:f0db0] is to be believed, electrical wires touching the brass bed cause cancer.

I am against leveling Mount Baker. As it is an active volcano, that would simply bring the surface closer to the molten lava. I propose extending the summit to 100,000 feet so that in the event of an eruption, the lava is ejected harmlessly into space.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:41 AM

^And if nothing else, the view alone would justify the move. Plus economic benefits from revival of the tourist industry (our shoreline would become Mekka for photographers from around the world).

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

I propose extending the summit to 100,000 feet..

Good call. Extra shade during the summer months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users