Photo

38-year-old condo building going solar

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Bah, they made it on their own for less than $1k per unit, already spent.  So be it.  At least nobody mandated or taxed them to do it.

Agreed, but you'd never convince me to do this unless it was somehow mandated by law. I could spend the $15.66/month it would cost me additional on my strata fees on something else.

#22 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:21 PM

But these are green jobs!!!!
  • VicHockeyFan and Mixed365 like this

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:01 PM

But these are green jobs!!!!

I could hardly see the sky there were so many workers on that roof.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

It's a saving of ~$35 /yr per resident on energy costs. 

Dockside green hung their hat on some pretty questionable **** as well.  The appearance often matters more than the reality.   Hence why a couple cans of paint on a house will get you a few thousand on resale.

• rjag likes this

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Dockside green hung their hat on some pretty questionable **** as well.  

They sure did, and got more national and North American media than any other development here.  But it did not live up to expectations.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

They sure did, and got more national and North American media than any other development here.  But it did not live up to expectations.

Probably a good business strategy though.  Until the condo market collapsed. 

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

The market only collapsed at Dockside. Everywhere around them projects kept going up while Dockside sat idle.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:32 PM

He must be a good salesman.  

vka-solar-0601-jpg.jpg

Bruce Mackenzie, Central Park strata council president, right, and electrician Michael Geldreich, of Power to the People, with some of the 60 solar electric panels installed on the Pembroke Street building's roof.   Photograph By ADRIAN LAM, Times Colonist

www.facebook.com/michael.geldreich.52

Ah ok, the TC got the names backwards.

So the salesman, head of the strata council is the Master Franchisor for Handyman Connection:  

https://ca.linkedin....nzie/12/636/790

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

...The appearance often matters more than the reality...

I believe this is Seaterra's motto - correct? Of course it sounds better in latin: Species utrum magis saepe quam sit in re

#30 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

So what's the strata going to do when a future development casts a shadow over the panels?

That's an interesting point...I would if council would take this into consideration in terms of approving re-zoning applications.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

Just like views, the City is not responsible for what people choose to do with their properties and what a future development may hinder.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#32 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

Maybe the residents looked at the ROI and decided to do it because they liked the idea despite the poor ROI. Can't blame them for that. Their money, their choice.

#33 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

Maybe the residents looked at the ROI and decided to do it because they liked the idea despite the poor ROI. Can't blame them for that. Their money, their choice.

The ROI at current hydro rates isn't so great (although better than letting the money sit in the contingency fund if it isn't needed).   Fact is those rates are going up 6% next year and more after that.  Could turn out to be a decent investment.

#34 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:18 PM

Solar panels are warrantied for 25 years.

And counting on the sun being still shining 25 years from now seems like a reasonable gamble.

That said the ROI on this doesn't seem great.

They need to be cleaned far more regularly than that and the output power will start to drop before the warranty runs out. I doubt anyone did this for the ROI. If they feel good about using renewable power then that must have been factored into the investment.

#35 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

They need to be cleaned far more regularly than that and the output power will start to drop before the warranty runs out.

The seagulls, don't forget about the baked on seagull poop.

• Nparker likes this

#36 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:06 AM

They need to be cleaned far more regularly than that and the output power will start to drop before the warranty runs out. I doubt anyone did this for the ROI. If they feel good about using renewable power then that must have been factored into the investment.

Hosing off the panels once a year I'm sure will make or break this installation.

#37 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Someone I know just bought a unit in this building, I'll have to ask her about all this.

• sebberry likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

This thing seems cool:

http://smartflowerso...artflower-plus/

color-change-image--blue-transparent.png

#39 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

Hmm.. Too much complexity.  40% more output but I guarantee that you would be better off installing 40% more panels.   Interesting idea though.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

Hmm.. Too much complexity.  40% more output but I guarantee that you would be better off installing 40% more panels.   Interesting idea though.

You might be right.  The mechanics of that thing looks a bit daunting and perhaps delicate.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users