PROPOSED
Fairfield Block
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1601-1609 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 3
Reliance Properties has announced plans to rehabilitate the historic Fairfield Block building on Douglas Stree... (view full profile)
Learn more about Fairfield Block on Citified.ca
Photo

Fairfield Block

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

This is another feel-good story for the downtown area. Looking forward to additional information as it becomes available, Jon.

Fairfield-Block.jpg

Affordable housing eyed for fixed up Fairfield Block building

http://victoria.citi...block-building/

Affordable housing has been announced as a key part of a plan to purchase and rehabilitate the historic Fairfield Block building on Douglas Street at Cormorant Street across from Victoria City Hall.

Jon Stovell, President of Vancouver-based Reliance Properties, made a statement on VibrantVictoria indicating the company has an option to purchase and "fix up" the three storey mixed-use commercial and transient accommodation building while maintaining the homes as affordable rental apartments. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

I'd have thought it would be a good spot to add a thin tower, using the existing massing as a podium.

• 2F2R likes this

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

Without parking any market condos built on top of the Fairfield Block would be a potentially tough sell.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

Maybe some tiny car free rentals like at the Rocket, just actually plan ahead for bikes.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#25 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Maybe some tiny car free rentals like at the Rocket, just actually plan ahead for bikes.

Those can go next to the rooftop gardens they use to grow 97% of their food.

#26 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

"affordable" market rents won't be as low as what the tenants currently pay. the result may be more people on the street.

#27 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:54 PM

Seeing as the site is built out to the lot lines and the potential developer indicates no desire to increase the building height, I'm guessing they will ask for some "give" from Council elsewhere in the city to make this project work.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:30 PM

Great. And if that's the case, what's wrong with that?

Know it all.

#29 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

Seeing as the site is built out to the lot lines and the potential developer indicates no desire to increase the building height, I'm guessing they will ask for some "give" from Council elsewhere in the city to make this project work.

We'll take Fairfield Block, a rundown building across the street from a new marquee development, and you approve our sensible plans at Northern Junk.

#30 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

Great. And if that's the case, what's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it, just saying that's my hunch.

Edited by Fernwoodian, 15 September 2015 - 07:55 AM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#31 attica

attica
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

Helps has offered more density...the developer needs to step up and take it in order to keep the SRO. Anything less would be really disappointing.

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:16 PM

I wonder if perhaps any unused density here will be transferred to Northern Junk. Do we do that in Victoria?

Know it all.

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:36 PM

I wonder if perhaps any unused density here will be transferred to Northern Junk. Do we do that in Victoria?

If we don't, we should.

#34 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

The City of Vancouver has had a heritage density transfer program for a long time. I don't think Vic has one.

#35 Skycap

Skycap
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

What is the status of this project?  Colliers has had the listing as "Pending Sale" for a year.  

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

Might be tied in some way with what happens with the Northern Junk proposal.

Know it all.

#37 jstovell

jstovell
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

Reliance Properties will be purchasing the Fairfield Block early in the new year. We will be looking at various options for the property.

• Nparker likes this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the confirmation, Jon.

Know it all.

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

It would make an awesome podium for a 20 storey residential building.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:39 PM

It would make an awesome podium for a 20 storey residential building.

Agreed 100%

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users