23 replies to this topic

#1 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Esquimalt Ribfest starts today!

Ribs, brews, bands, cars, etc.

This three day event in Bullen Park in Esquimalt features five different ribbers, seven brewers/wineries, live music, car show, bubble soccer, etc. etc.

Funds raised support the Esquimalt Firefighters Charitable fund which in turn supports several local charities.

Free shuttle bus from the in front of the RBC Museum.

I'm not affiliated, just a cool event in my neck of the woods.

#2 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

I'm there tonight with friends from the Harbourside Rotary club. maybe Saturday with the family. no entrance fee is a big advantage over the beer fest.
  • Mike K. likes this

#3 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 09:52 PM

We didn't go to Ribfest this year....but did anyone fall ill afterwards?

#4 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:37 PM

We didn't go to Ribfest this year....but did anyone fall ill afterwards?

i was reading the esq facebook page a few people did say they felt ill after they left

#5 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:18 PM

i was reading the esq facebook page a few people did say they felt ill after they left

I'm sure it happens.....and after the facebook attention, won't happen again next year.

#6 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:37 PM

Went Sat evening. Had a ball! The weather cleared, was not too cold, field wasn't too muddy, local beer, LOTS of folks appreciating the music and dancing, got some beef ribs, had leftovers for breakfast on Sunday.

Surprised I hadn't really heard of it before. Will definitely go back next year!

• AllseeingEye likes this

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:29 PM

/\....yup one of the more under the radar local events for sure. Since we moved into the Gorge-Selkirk area in 2011 we've gone 3-4x and never been disappointed. Hit it up under the right circumstances - good weather and band etc.,- and its a nice party. And who in their right mind doesn't like BBQ???

#8 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:20 PM

I usually hear about these sort of events after they happened. Not listening to local radio I don't know how well these things are advertised, if at all.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

I usually hear about these sort of events after they happened. Not listening to local radio I don't know how well these things are advertised, if at all.

join facebook pages for the city.. most city events tend to get posted on city facebook pages.. esquimalt is pretty good for this (Esquimalt also has a pretty active facebook page not run by the city) they post their movie nights, their music in the park events, reminders for their market..

• AllseeingEye likes this

#10 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:17 AM

I went on the Friday this year. Ribs were good, didn't get sick as I am hearing reports that some people did. 

Like eating out anywhere, you always take that risk that the food you are eating has not been handled properly including being stored at proper temperatures, held and proper temperatures, if insect control is being used etc,

The poor weather cut the attendance down a bit from other years, but still lots of people came out even when it was raining.  A couple of years ago there must have been 50-60,000 people through the Rib Fest over it's 3 days. Surprised so many Victorians don't even know about it. This year was it's 6th year.

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 04:56 AM

Ribfest, Great Canadian Beer Festival and the Victoria Cheese and Meat Festival returning this weekend

Esquimalt Ribfest, Great Canadian Beer Festival, Victoria Cheese and Meat Festival

https://www.timescol...weekend-5798492

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 04:25 AM

Esquimalt’s Ribfest is asking for the township to match $1 million in community contributions gathered over the last decade to build a turf field at Esquimalt High School that would become the community’s first all-weather playing field.

The move would put Esquimalt’s recreation facilities on par with the rest of Greater Victoria’s urban municipalities, many of which have multiple turf fields.

Ribfest committee chair Tom Woods, along with other supporters of the project, made their case to council Monday night.

About 35% of Gorge Soccer Association’s 1,650 members are from Esquimalt, said association president Aaron Walker-Duncan, who spoke in support of the proposal at council.

“We have a real challenge in finding good, all-weather field space,” Walker-Duncan said. The club’s membership continues to grow, and it’s becoming harder to find  playing spaces for the community, he added.

https://www.capitald...alt-high-school

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 March 2023 - 04:26 AM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:33 AM

Tom Woods! He was my rugby coach in high school, and was also the police liaison officer at ECS.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 02:52 PM

Tom Woods! He was my rugby coach in high school, and was also the police liaison officer at ECS.

Sheesh, name dropper...

• Matt R. likes this

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:44 PM

I flip flop between telling people I’m Tom Woods, Ismo, Mike K. and Aastra depending on location. So far I’m batting zero.

“Don’t you know who I am?!”

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 06:36 PM

Join thousands of hungry patrons for a weekend feast of ribs cooked by world-class rib teams — washed down with craft beer, cider and wine — while being entertained by live music from local bands at Esquimalt Ribfest.

This year the event, established in 2013, boasts six big-rig barbecue companies, eight local craft brewers and more than 20 live performances on stage. The tasty fun runs from Friday to Sunday at Bullen Park.

https://www.timescol...ribfest-7513439

#17 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 06:33 AM

Does anyone know if there is handicap parking available?

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 06:34 AM

There’s more booze vendors than rib vendors at RibFest!
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 06:36 AM

I understand "Booze Fest", features nothing but ribs.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 06:41 AM

BoozeFest is coming up this Halloween. It’s kid-friendly.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users