PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1161 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:17 AM

I like the idea of probing a COV, Saanich, possible YMCA co-pro ... which would render actual municipal borders irrelevant.

Perhaps it could be a baby-step towards amalgamation :)

#1162 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:39 AM

does it matter? it’s on the border.

Well it sort of does. I am not sure the CoV has any authority to build a rec centre in another municipality.

• Midnightly likes this

#1163 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:41 AM

I like the idea of probing a COV, Saanich, possible YMCA co-pro ... which would render actual municipal borders irrelevant...

Can you imagine the bureaucratic hurdles it would take to get this sort of multi-jurisdictional facility even planned, yet alone approved, funded, built and operated?  :wacko:

#1164 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:14 AM

Can you imagine the bureaucratic hurdles it would take to get this sort of multi-jurisdictional facility even planned, yet alone approved, funded, built and operated?  :wacko:

It would likely be a s_it show to try and get underway.

BUT - (and although it's not a direct comparison) we already do this with any public facility that is owned and operated by the CRD.

Panorama Leisure Centre (for example) is a CRD owned facility.

So are the two downtown theatres owned and/or operated by the CRD.

Then there's our water and sewer systems.

I'm certainly not saying it would be easy, or even doable ... but you'd probably find quite a few folks who would note that it's something they'd like to know more about the potential of.

#1165 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:18 AM

...I'm certainly not saying it would be easy, or even doable ... but you'd probably find quite a few folks who would note that it's something they'd like to know more about the potential of.

I think the Mayfair Lanes site is an interesting idea, worth exploring, but I just don't see the various parties being able cooperate to bring it to fruition.

#1166 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

I think the Mayfair Lanes site is an interesting idea, worth exploring, but I just don't see the various parties being able cooperate to bring it to fruition.

Perhaps it would need to be a CRD facility?

#1167 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

I confess to have not followed this one closely, but my instinct tells me that if the current team is re-elected, CoV residents can look forward to years of cost overruns and a 2022 pre-election commmitment by Mayor Helps to audit the Crystal Pool boondoggle.
  • Nparker, Daveyboy and Awaiting Juno like this

#1168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,250 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:49 AM

and that’s just one of the hidden costs of not being amalgamated.

#1169 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:46 PM

would the site actually be big enough? i haven't walked those grounds but i have driven past a number of times and remember when it was once a bowling alley..  the building they plan to build is fairly substantial  considering the size of the pools,  and the additional facilities it provides (space for change rooms, gym space, classrooms/daycare/activity rooms) then add a bit of parking (i don't think mayfair mall would allow parking lot sharing)

#1170 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:21 PM

I am sure the Mayfair Lanes site would be large enough with underground parking. If I had to guess at a likely alternate site for the new pool it would be the city-owned parking lot adjacent to Royal Athletic Park on Caledonia. It would have to include underground parking. I've pasted the existing CP onto the parking lot to show how easily it would fit.

Capture.JPG

Honestly though, any new facility that doesn't supply ample parking is not worth constructing. It would be foolish to repeat the mistake of the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre again.

#1171 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:05 PM

I am sure the Mayfair Lanes site would be large enough with underground parking. If I had to guess at a likely alternate site for the new pool it would be the city-owned parking lot adjacent to Royal Athletic Park on Caledonia. It would have to include underground parking. I've pasted the existing CP onto the parking lot to show how easily it would fit.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Honestly though, any new facility that doesn't supply ample parking is not worth constructing. It would be foolish to repeat the mistake of the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre again.

do you know how much larger the new facility will be compared to the current one? ( i imagine it would be a fair bit larger) and i do fully agree with you there on parking...parking is a HUGE part of building a new facility if you want people who don't live directly in the north park neighborhood to use the facility..  i may be one of the few.. but i do think it's current location isn't a bad one.. it's relatively central in Victoria.. and if Victoria is paying for it, it shouldn't sit on the boarder of another municipality it should be somewhat central within its municipality

#1172 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:34 PM

Skip the parking, just keep adding density until there's enough within walking distance and great transit that a massive expensive parking facility isn't needed.  Use the density to help pay for the facility.  Everyone wins!

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1173 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:48 PM

Skip the parking, just keep adding density until there's enough within walking distance and great transit that a massive expensive parking facility isn't needed.  Use the density to help pay for the facility.  Everyone wins!

What sort of density are you promoting that would supply a self sufficient core for a 50m pool?  When families get home after work, make dinner, eat, get ready for swimming lessons, get to Crystal Pool, get their kids ready.....when you add in walking or biking, it means the density needs to be directly around Crystal Pool.

With no legitimate parking, other existing pools are more accessible.

• pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#1174 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:29 AM

Skip the parking, just keep adding density until there's enough within walking distance and great transit that a massive expensive parking facility isn't needed. Use the density to help pay for the facility. Everyone wins!

With all of the density we’re seeing today, record-breaking supply volumes, in fact, taxes continue to go up to pay for anything but major projects like the pool for which we’re dependent on higher levels of government funding and a huge amount of taxpayer financed borrowing.

Unless taxpayers not only want to build this massive project on their dime and with borrowed funds, unless the facility has ample parking the taxpayer will be heavily subsidizing the operations of the project following construction. Right now a lot of people specifically don’t go to Crystal because they can’t park at the pool, and that’s a serious issue for individuals with mobility challenges.
  • Nparker, Bingo, sdwright.vic and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 08:02 AM

Skip the parking, just keep adding density until there's enough within walking distance and great transit that a massive expensive parking facility isn't needed. 

The problem with that theory is that a "massive" parking facility is already needed in this area of the city. Between daytime commuters and events at RAP and the SOFMC, street parking is vastly inadequate now. A larger rec centre will only exacerbate the problem. Revenues from including "extra" parking at a new Crystal Pool complex will eventually cover the additional cost of its construction.

#1176 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:53 AM

According to the OCP, (as I mentioned in another thread) nearly 100% of Victoria's population group over the next 20 years will come from the 55+ demographic with the greatest component being 65+. Walking 500m in the winter rain may seem like a viable option when you are in your 20's, but when you are 65+ many people prefer other means of transport.

• Midnightly likes this

#1177 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,250 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:08 AM

so let’s get the pool away from a bad transit route. #6 requires a transfer for anyone coming from james bay rockland jubilee vic west or burnside gorge or oaklands.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 October 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#1178 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

so let’s get the pool away from a bad transit route. #6 requires a transfer for anyone coming from james bay rockland jubilee vic west or burnside gorge or oaklands.

A pool location at Blanshard and Hilliside would be closer to the major bus routes in and out of Downtown

#1179 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,250 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

it could also have the social housing component that was hoped for at central park before someone pointed out it could not be done there.

#1180 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

Things are looking anything but "crystal" clear when it comes to the new pool project.

https://www.cheknews...project-508397/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users