PROPOSED
760 Tolmie Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 760 Tolmie Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 24
760 Tolmie Avenue is a proposal for 700-block of Tolmie Avenue at Oak Street through to Roderick Street to bui... (view full profile)
Learn more about 760 Tolmie Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich Core - Saanich] 760 Tolmie Avenue (Mayfair Lanes property) | Residential; retail | Up to 24-storeys

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#61 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:10 AM

Anymore posts that don't have to do with the construction of the Real Canadian Superstore will be deleted.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#62 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

Back to the Real Canadian Superstore.....

I would like to see them get the thing built so that I can shop there. I have used the one out in Langford a few times lately and it has been worth the drive out there. I also shop a lot of the Real Canadian Wholesale Store.

I shop in these places because they carry stuff in the sizes I need. I have four boys - though Max is only 2 months old - and they eat more than I do. We go through about five to six litres of milk a day. We consume about a kilo of meat a day. I buy flour, rice and onions in 20kg sacks.

Shopping at these stores, and Fairway, is the only way food will not bankrupt me. The other option is to work more hours than I do or move out of town.

Real Canadian Superstore has a very good selection of products in their store in Langford - the selection of varieties is good.

I do produce some of my own food, the main thing being eggs. I also buy a lot of produce from Glanford Greenhouses - much better than anything else in the core of the city but a bit pricey.

So, does anyone know where this project is at?

#63 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

5 to 6 liters of milk a day? WOW!
You should buy a cow and hook it up to your plumbing!

#64 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

I am banned from getting a cow, my wife agreed to the chickens bu tmad eit utterly clear no cow or goat. I would get rabbits, but everyone else vetoed the idea of meat rabbits.

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:10 PM

How about a sea lion?

(for milk, not for meat)

#66 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

I like the Superstore in Langford a lot, more than Costco. I feel their food is far superior, they have very good household staples and I like the physical store much more (maybe the green paint?).
I know Loblaw's is a giant corp. too but at least its a Canadian one. But I do want the Saanich store to get done, way too much gas and time gettng to L'ford and back.

#67 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

I thought Superstore was holding off to building the mayfair location due to a downturn in the marketplace and were going to wait and see. I mean can you imagine the competition in the area.

#68 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:41 AM

Parent company Loblaw's is in some financial deep water and AFAIK are holding off while they turn the ship around. Have you seen the new commercials emphasizing local producers? A good angle for them methinks.

#69 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

I went to the Duncan WalMart SuperCentre just after it opened and you wouldn't recognize it as a WM on the inside. Extremely clean and organized, well lit, wide aisles, nice flooring, low shelves, state-of-the art displays, neat touches like the freezers only illuminating as you approach. The grocery department had better produce than any supermarket in Victoria and it was even displayed better. Granted, the store was fairly empty that day and the self-checkout system is to be avoided at all costs, and it's just a WalMart after all is said and done, but the T&C Wally will be even larger - 200,000 sq ft! A nearby RCSS simply can't repel firepower of that magnitude. Game over. The site will be developed for condos.

#70 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

Two years people could have been using Mayfair Lanes now...pathetic...

Empty lot frustrates bowler

Mayfair Lanes site remains empty after two years

By Andrew A. Duffy, Times Colonist
January 10, 2009

For 43 years it was Victoria's largest bowling alley. Now all that's left of the former Mayfair Lanes is a wind-whipped empty lot and what looks like either a dirty swimming pool or an ice rink, depending on the weather.

Skateboarders occasionally scale the chain-link fence to access makeshift jumps, and litter is scattered across the lot.

[...]

aduffy@tc.canwest.com
© Copyright © The Victoria Times Colonist
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#71 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

And even though I don't bowl I could still have been enjoying the Natchos and Pitcher of Beer special for 25 bucks...

#72 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

43 years? '65/'66

I'm almost positive it's a few years older than that.

#73 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

I've talked to Loblaws personally and its still at least a year out, if not more. There was talk about it moving a year ago, but it didn't go anywhere.

#74 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Two years people could have been using Mayfair Lanes now...pathetic...

Thanks for posting that.
This irks me to no end. Compound the loss of Mayfair with the T&C lanes and you've eliminated 2 sources of recreation. For what?

#75 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for posting that.
This irks me to no end. Compound the loss of Mayfair with the T&C lanes and you've eliminated 2 sources of recreation. For what?

Another good argument for imposing some sort of demolition/completion bond in the future.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#76 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

43 years? '65/'66

I'm almost positive it's a few years older than that.

1965 is kinda late for Googie architecture.

#77 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

^ Interesting!

A whole new type of architecture I was unaware of. What are some other notable local examples?

#78 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

^ Interesting!

A whole new type of architecture I was unaware of. What are some other notable local examples?

I love it! I didn't know it was called Googie. Pluto's Diner?

#79 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Pluto`s was a standard gas station before being kitted out faux-googie style 20-odd years ago.

Denny`s Restaurant could be I suppose. Previously mentioned elsewhere here was the controversy over the Seattle googie Denny`s.

Also the Royal Trust Building (now the Mosaic).

There isn`t much here. Probably because Victoria was too conservative but maybe there wasn`t much of a building boom at the time.

#80 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

Great photos of Mayfair Lanes. Inside and outside. Claims it was built in 1963.

http://www.flickr.co...s/22586505@N00/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users