UNDER CONSTRUCTION
University Heights, building A
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 3956 Shelbourne Street
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
University Heights, building A is proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental and retail complex at Cedar Hill ... (view full profile)
Learn more about University Heights, building A on Citified.ca
Photo

University Heights Shopping Centre

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#101 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

So the house I grew up in is in the very bottom right, the furthest one into the corner.

Those greenhouses were mostly there as I grew up.  The path running up the right side of them was our route to K-mart, you can see it ends then there is a crosswalk across Shelbourne.

Those houses likely went up in the late 60's early 70's when the building boom was on. 

If you go back there now there are 100 foot trees every where.

#102 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

So, I would assume this should get approved without much issue.  It is in line with the Shelbourne Valley Action Plan, and being a long time resident of Gordon Head myself, I personally support this.

Any thoughts on what may be the possible concerns with this development?

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

...Any thoughts on what may be the possible concerns with this development?

The usual: too tall, too dense, and no one is thinking about the children. I can hear the NIMBYs now: "I support development, but I don't think this is the right place for it".

#104 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

i thought there might have been more on the shelbourne st side rather than the mckenzie side, sort of like at mayfair the focus is douglas st rather than finlayson. maybe it was because of the gas station on the corner, which isn't part of this project, or the location of the parkade, or the corner of mckenzie & cedar hill already has the library, fairways & the school so they want to build on what's already there. *finds rendering*

it looks like that's what they're thinking, this is how it will look from the library. so cedar hill & mckenzie will be getting the major changes rather than shelbourne.

cedar hill mckenzie.JPG

btw pdfs of this project are on this page
http://www.saanich.c...ordon-head.html

Edited by amor de cosmos, 23 December 2017 - 10:02 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#105 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 09:56 AM

I don't see anything on Saanich's website but I wouldn't be surprised if this development of University Heights sets off more improvements to Cedar Hill Rd around there. It got proper bike lanes etc north of there but south of that intersection I can see getting the complete streets treatment, maybe to Cedar Hill X Rd, like they did on Tattersall, Tillicum & Cook St in recent years

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

Oh ya the street in front of the school is pretty weak.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#107 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

Took another look at the linked page. It makes mention of 360 residences, but does not mention whether they would be condos or apartments. I think apartments would be really good at that location to add some rental stock to Gordon Head. That said, they might then become heavily occupied by university students.

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

It’ll be rentals, most likely, but with this project still several years out I’m sure they’d rather leave the option for either open.

My sense is the two Shelbourne Street buildings are disposable and the gas station does create an impediment.

Now that being said, from a residential perspective it would be far more desirable to leave along Cedar Hill than at Shelbourne AND McKenzie.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:02 PM

Save the movie theatre, or else.   :farmer:

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Save the movie theatre, or else.   :farmer:

I don't see how all of UH can be rebuilt (with the exception of Home Depot) and possibly keep the theatres open. However, once everything is complete, new theatres would be a great tenant in the revamped development.

#111 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

Ya, I'm no engineer but I don't know how feasible to demo the existing mall and build new structures atop the current theaters. If not, then it would be great to have an equivalent designed into the new complex. Losing those theaters for good would be a loss for the neighbourhood.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#112 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

Why don't they leave the existing buildings and put the new residential east of them on the Shelbourne Street side, with more underground parking than there is now?

#113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:04 AM

Why don't they leave the existing buildings and put the new residential east of them on the Shelbourne Street side, with more underground parking than there is now?

There's nothing about the existing buildings worth retaining. You may just have to accept that the theatres will disappear - at least temporarily - during the makeover.

• jonny likes this

#114 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

I really hope we see new theatres built here. It would be great for the neighbourhood. 

• Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#115 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

I really hope we see new theatres built here. It would be great for the neighbourhood. 

And if not here, the (soon-to-be) former Sears space at Hillside could be redeveloped into a multiplex.

#116 van-island

van-island
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

If this goes ahead as proposed, I will be flabbergasted. Council spent a lot of political capital on implementing bike lanes on Shelbourne, ostensibly to move toward the Shelbourne Valley Action Plan vision of making Shelbourne a "people place" instead of a traffic sewer. If they let this proposal go ahead as-is, that political capital will be wasted, at least in this section of the street.

Like Uptown, this proposal abandons its surrounding streets in favour of a private, internal street, which will suck commercial activity away from Shelbourne into the interior of the development (as the developer and their tenants prefer). With the focus on the internal street, this will likely leave the units on Shelbourne with reduced foot traffic and marginal tenants as a result... the upshot of which will be that no one will care if this section of Shelbourne remains a traffic sewer.

If Saanich is serious about making Shelbourne a community hub with a priority on non-vehicle users, then a UH redevelopment needs to enrich its surround streets, not abandon them.

#117 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

We are really lacking in movie theatres in the CRD.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#118 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

University-Heights-redevelopment-plans-to-go-before-Saanich-design-panel.jpg
An artist's rendering of the planned redevelopment of University Heights Shopping Centre in Saanich. Depicted in the rendering is the six-storey 'building B' at right and the nine-storey 'building A' at left. Both will incorporate a mix of uses that include retail and commercial spaces with residences above.

University Heights redevelopment plans to go before Saanich design panel (with renderings)

http://victoria.citi...h-design-panel/

• Nparker, sebberry, jonny and 2 others like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#119 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:36 PM

LOVE it.  Total homerun

#120 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:41 PM

This rendering appears to show an articulated bus.  Funny.

Also, a movie theatre does not appear under envisioned tenants.  Guess Landmark is out.

Attached Images

• University-Heights-rendering-A.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users