Photo

Butchart Gardens

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

...get out and watch the Saturday night fireworks while they're still staging them..

I imagine this Saturday will be the last fireworks display for the season.

#62 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

I believe that is correct and it'll be a full house assuming the weather cooperates. Its definitely worth the effort IMO.

We got there last Saturday at 5:30 to 'claim a spot' with blankets and chairs and there were probably already 1000+ people sprawled on the viewing field. We found a good spot, put our stuff down, wandered through the gardens for an hour then had the picnic dinner and returned about 8:30. When the area is completely packed I'd estimate they can accommodate 3-4000 people.

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

Last summer I had the very good fortune of arriving moments before the fireworks started and getting an amazing spot in the VIP section. The secret to my success? Attending with a BG employee. It really does pay to know people in high places.

• Matt R. likes this

#64 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:30 PM

Looking at heading there for our staff party, but that won’t happen for a few weeks yet. Usually we head out last week of September. I think it’s probably still pretty nice.

Matt.
  • weirdie likes this

#65 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 06:09 AM

On Monday evening, Butchart Gardens wrote on its website: “Due to the latest provincial health order, The Butchart Gardens regrets to announce that our Christmas evening viewing will be delayed until December 8th.” The company said anyone who booked a ticket or dining reservation between Nov. 27 and Dec. 7 will be contacted. No one from Butchart Gardens returned calls for comment Monday.

https://www.timescol...ions-1.24244337

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 November 2020 - 06:09 AM.

#66 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:18 AM

We're booked at B-G on the 12th so fingers crossed but its very looking doubtful at this point, especially looking at the very long list of outright cancelled Christmas events in today's T-C. I think this is why many people including us got our trees and lights up early....gotta have something to look forward to because this is obviously going to be unlike any other Christmas.

Even Global Morning News ran a story this morning about BC Hydro advising the upwards of 20% of BC residents who say they are going to set up more outside light displays than usual to compensate for lack of 'other' Christmas activities and simply to 'feel more normal', to use more LED lights etc., in order to keep a lid on costs. And one of the biggest costs interestingly is apparently those outside Santa, reindeer, elf and other figures which are inflatable, of which we have three. Interesting I would not have guessed that.

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:24 AM

Meanwhile Vancouver is debating going after people who are displaying too many Xmas decorations, because it's a nuisance.

You can't win.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:27 AM

Meanwhile Vancouver is debating going after people who are displaying too many Xmas decorations, because it's a nuisance...

A nuisance for whom?  :whyme: 

There are days when I think we'd be better off to just let the pandemic run loose. Humanity could really use a good pruning.

Edited by Nparker, 24 November 2020 - 09:41 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#69 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:34 AM

Meanwhile Vancouver is debating going after people who are displaying too many Xmas decorations, because it's a nuisance.

You can't win.

Yeah I shake my head at this . Your allowed to shoot up drugs on the street but they are considering a law stating the time your allowing Christmas lights to be on . It made me think maybe Ben had secretly moved to North Vancouver and was commuting.

• Nparker likes this

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:40 AM

...It made me think maybe Ben had secretly moved to North Vancouver and was commuting.

The really sad thing is that Comrade Ben isn't the only politician with this sort of thinking.  :(

#71 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:41 AM

Interesting I would not have guessed that.

That you would own 3 xmas inflatables?  :)

I love those things BTW.

And a big thank you to anyone putting out xmas decorations and lights. We could all use some cheering up.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#72 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:56 AM

The really sad thing is that Comrade Ben isn't the only politician with this sort of thinking.  :(

I think they said on the news they’ve received 3 complaints over 5 years . Better get on that right away . 

• Nparker likes this

#73 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:56 AM

Butchart had a good plan in place this does seem like overkill. You could see these numbers coming from a month away why the snap decision

Edited by todd, 24 November 2020 - 10:02 AM.

• AllseeingEye and lanforod like this

#74 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:59 AM

I think they said on the news they’ve received 3 complaints over 5 years . Better get on that right away . 

Found the scrooges!

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#75 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:18 AM

If you don't live next to a problem you can't understand why it is a problem. If you live next to a problem then you can't understand why the problem is allowed to go on.

The purpose of many bylaws is not to fine people but to define reasonable behaviour. If your neighbor's Christmas display is a strobe light pointed at your window and on all night, you'd hope there would be some way to get relief.

If your neighbor plays a shrieking sound once per minute (as in Bayview) you'd hope there is a bylaw that offers relief if the neighbors refuse to be reasonable.
  • Redd42 likes this

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:21 AM

From BG: Due to the latest Provincial Health Order, The Butchart Gardens regrets to announce that our Christmas evening viewing will be delayed until December 8th. If you have booked a timed ticket or a dining reservation between November 27 and December 7, we'll be contacting you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#77 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:47 AM

If you don't live next to a problem you can't understand why it is a problem. If you live next to a problem then you can't understand why the problem is allowed to go on.

The purpose of many bylaws is not to fine people but to define reasonable behaviour. If your neighbor's Christmas display is a strobe light pointed at your window and on all night, you'd hope there would be some way to get relief.

If your neighbor plays a shrieking sound once per minute (as in Bayview) you'd hope there is a bylaw that offers relief if the neighbors refuse to be reasonable.

Earlier on in the pandemic, a gal posted on the OB facebook group about the incredible noise she was having to endure because some kind of drilling machine was chipping away the rock on the lot next door that is being redeveloped.. Mean while her and the hubby were trying to work from home and the kids were trying to do their schooling from home. I must live at least 8 blocks from her. I could hear the noise. I was shocked at all the negative comments she got for complaining. 

#78 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:53 PM

You can't win.

North Vancouver, and the Mayor shot that one down immediately without debate. The proposal was brought forward by staff, i.e. senior management. Specifically, the bylaw amendment would have required people to turn off Christmas lights after 11 PM due to complaints.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:03 PM

Good. +1 for the mayor.

Know it all.

#80 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:15 PM

I got a little bit wild with the lights last year I wanted to simulate a psychedelic experience they were more moving than flashing but that was just 2020 I’m going classic Christmas this year

Edited by todd, 24 November 2020 - 01:16 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users