Photo

Butchart Gardens

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 06:15 PM

I discovered that the fireworks were canceled only after I arrived at the gardens last Saturday, with a friend from out of town. It was disappointing, but on the plus side, the grounds were semi-deserted so we could walk around without the usual crowds.

I got some almost expired fireworks if you got a boat. obviously will notify MCTS
  • Nparker likes this

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 07:01 PM

Butchart Gardens was an item on Jeopardy tonight. But the contestant guessed Busch Gardens by mistake for some reason. So it was like he knew it but didn't know it. The same contestant got another one wrong shortly thereafter in similar fashion (he said Blue Velvet or some such thing when he should have said National Velvet).

#123 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 07:13 PM

Butchart Gardens was an item on Jeopardy tonight. But the contestant guessed Busch Gardens by mistake for some reason. So it was like he knew it but didn't know it. The same contestant got another one wrong shortly thereafter in similar fashion (he said Blue Velvet or some such thing when he should have said National Velvet).

Bullshit*.

*testing swear words.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2023 - 07:13 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 07:21 PM

Alice in Chains* is not on our bad word filter.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 07:42 PM

No worries. Jeopardy and cussing are like bread and butter.

#126 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 07:53 PM

In recent years there seems to be a Victoria-related item on Jeopardy about ~once per year or thereabouts.

#127 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 08:02 PM

Alex Trebek decreed that there had to be at least one Canadian question in each show.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 11:03 AM

Butchart Gardens closing for two weeks at the end of January to allow staff to rest

https://www.victoria...-staff-to-rest/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2024 - 11:03 AM.

#129 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 11:57 AM

Very strange phrasing - "allowing staff to rest." 

I typically get my rest during the 16 hours I'm not working, and on days off.

Makes it sound like Butchart staff have been overclocked, going all-out in their back-breaking labors involving stringing up lights and putting up the same Christmas decorations they've used for decades. Weird.

• Nparker likes this

#130 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 12:00 PM

^ They close every mid-end January do they not?

#131 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 01:17 PM

Makes it sound like Butchart staff have been overclocked, going all-out in their back-breaking labors involving stringing up lights and putting up the same Christmas decorations they've used for decades. Weird.

I have no doubt the whole team has been run off their feet during the insane Christmas season.
  • aastra likes this

#132 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 01:24 PM

That’s because it’s not true. VB has editorialized a very basic press release:

The Butchart Gardens will be closed to the public from Monday, January 22 – Sunday, February 4 inclusive. Thank you very much for your past support, we look forward to welcoming you back on Monday, February 5, 2024.

We are extending all 12 Month Passes that are valid between January 22 – February 4, 2024 by the total number of days we will be closed (14).
  • max.bravo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#133 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 January 2024 - 01:39 PM

^ They close every mid-end January do they not?

Yeah, they have for the past several years I believe. This really shouldn't be news anymore.

There are a lot of businesses that do similar, especially small restaurants. Thai Lemongrass in Cadboro Bay is a good example.

Edited by lanforod, 04 January 2024 - 01:39 PM.

#134 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 02:08 PM

Dutch bakery closes too. Many places do after new years. The Xmas season can be just brutal for certain industries.

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 02:32 PM

It’s also a very slow period of time. Might as well take advantage of that slow-down if you’re not going to be making decent revenue.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#136 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 02:41 PM

That too. Great time for upgrades and repairs. I know it’s barely winter but spring break is 10 weeks away. That’s only five more schedules.

#137 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 03:41 PM

It’s also a very slow period of time. Might as well take advantage of that slow-down if you’re not going to be making decent revenue.

Are there even flowers blooming to look at?!

Perhaps they could be like the RBCM and just charge people to look at a closed exhibit!

Edited by spanky123, 04 January 2024 - 03:43 PM.

#138 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:05 PM

...Perhaps they could be like the RBCM and just charge people to look at a closed exhibit!

That only works if you're a taxpayer funded government entity.

#139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 08:27 PM

That’s because it’s not true. VB has editorialized a very basic press release:

The Butchart Gardens will be closed to the public from Monday, January 22 – Sunday, February 4 inclusive. Thank you very much for your past support, we look forward to welcoming you back on Monday, February 5, 2024.

We are extending all 12 Month Passes that are valid between January 22 – February 4, 2024 by the total number of days we will be closed (14).

:confused:

Butchart Gardens to close for two weeks in late January

The closure from Jan. 22-Feb. 4 will give staff time “to rest and renew,” says a spokesperson

The break will give staff time “to rest and renew,” said spokesperson Jill Smillie.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2024 - 08:27 PM.

#140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, they have for the past several years I believe. This really shouldn't be news anymore.

The Coho has been going out of service for 50 years, it's still annual news.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users