Photo

[Saanich] Vandekerkhove hay/buffalo farm (1947 Burnside Road)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

Correct, the land has been assessed as of very low quality for farming.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

Huh.  I wonder what kind of revenue he gets from the sale of the trees...

• todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:00 PM

5,000 trees will bring some cash. Won't be a windfall though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

5,000 trees will bring some cash. Won't be a windfall though.

No, they don't look like the highest quality, but the extraction cost is pretty low.  Could be firewood grade.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

Huh.  I wonder what kind of revenue he gets from the sale of the trees...

Revenue for trees will not be much if it's only good for firewood, but hey... revenue from bird poop will be a gold mine if they can make bird poop soup from it.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

I dunno, maybe it's better. Those strike me as skinny trees though.

#27 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:49 AM

Seems like the land is good for growing more than rocks after all. Colin Plant is reporting that Mr V. has a "report from a Biological Consultant that the soils and aspect of the land will support agricultural production".

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

Today's TC says he bought it 2 years ago.  And spent $100k pitching it as a sewage site.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

The TC also wrote a story a while back about Mr. V's donations to Atwell's campaign.

Know it all.

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:20 AM

The TC also wrote a story a while back about Mr. V's donations to Atwell's campaign.

Atwell's was the largest donation but he also contributed to Haynes and Desjardins. Arguably the 3 were the strongest supporters of the Watkiss Way application (although there is nothing to suggest that the donations had any bearing on that decision). This could get interesting though. V. is 80 and it sounds like he is going on tilt. Who knows what he will say or do next as time isn't on his side.

Edited by spanky123, 08 November 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:39 AM

A CRD document referred to the land being assessed at under $600k meanwhile the CRD surmised it could be acquired for under $1 million.

I'd say the land may be assessed at $600k but had the CRD decided it would be used for sewage treatment the value would have lurched well above that. If the land had been purchased for $600k and $100k went into pitching the idea to the CRD, I can imagine that had the site been a serious contender the costs for the pitch would have gone even higher and the final price tag to the tax payer would have been closer to $2 million.

Atwell pushed for a second round of debate following Saanich council's nix of the plans to situate a sewage plant at the site.

The Watkiss proposal, which looks to use about 12 acres for a treatment facility, was on the agenda again after being brought forward by Saanich Mayor Richard Atwell, who voted in June to send the proposal to the CRD.

“After an examination of the public reaction to the decision, from Saanich residents and indeed from citizens across the region, I have elected to bring this decision back to council for reconsideration,” he said Monday, reading from a memo to council.

The land is owned by Allan Vandekerkhove, which has raised questions about campaign donations made during last November’s municipal elections. Vandekerkhove donated $5,000 to the campaign of Saanich Coun. Fred Haynes, while a numbered company listing Vandekerkhove as its director gave $10,000 to Atwell’s campaign.

Haynes, who also supported sending the Watkiss proposal to the CRD, said his lawyer told him there is no conflict in the situation. Haynes said he simply feels the Watkiss proposal deserves a closer look.

http://www.timescolo...plant-1.2007049

Know it all.

#32 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:05 AM

A CRD document referred to the land being assessed at under $600k meanwhile the CRD surmised it could be acquired for under $1 million.

I'd say the land may be assessed at $600k but had the CRD decided it would be used for sewage treatment the value would have lurched well above that. If the land had been purchased for $600k and $100k went into pitching the idea to the CRD, I can imagine that had the site been a serious contender the costs for the pitch would have gone even higher and the final price tag to the tax payer would have been closer to $2 million.

Atwell pushed for a second round of debate following Saanich council's nix of the plans to situate a sewage plant at the site.

I really doubt that $2M would have even been close to the number. I can't see V's team going to all of this effort for a million or two.

Now that V has cut down 200 trees and gone public about his intent, wouldn't it be interesting if Atwell brought forward the motion to recommend Watkiss Way to council a 3rd time?

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

As a west side sewage treatment site or as a regional sewage treatment site?

Know it all.

#34 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

As a west side sewage treatment site or as a regional sewage treatment site?

Either. Probably too late at this point but with the controversy about Rock Bay being the only option on the table maybe he feels that he has another chance and the threat of a clearcut and buffalo will swing the one council member necessary.

#35 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

As an aside, I think that the document refers to the Burnside Rd property and not the Watkiss Way one.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

Isn't that the official designation of the land, though?

Know it all.

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

Farmland is assessed way lower than actual value.

#38 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

Farmland is assessed way lower than actual value.

As long as it is in the ALR then its assessed value should be what it is worth! Agreed that the development potential, once removed from the ALR, would be much higher.

#39 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

I have a really hard time believing that this property is going to be successfully removed from the ALR. Saanich has some pretty strong opinions about removing land (observe the whole Alberg bit) and unlike the Alberg property, I don't think the ALC has ever stated that they want this property removed from the ALR.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

Half of council had no problem with supporting the idea of a sewage treatment plant. That shoukd be reason enough to believe that future development is possible.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users