39 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

Cancelled.

After moving it from Thetis to Elk Lake due to gross stuff in the water, Elk lake is suffering from a similar problem.

http://www.cfax1070....ria-polar-bears

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

Why don't they just move it to the ocean?

• tedward and VictoriaSportsNews like this

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

With all the sewage floating around?  Nah!

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

The "ads" running on CFAX say it's too late to get permits for anywhere else.

Sidney is still a go.

http://www.peninsula...olar-bear-swim/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

The "ads" running on CFAX say it's too late to get permits for anywhere else.

Since when does a group of people need a permit to go for a dip in the ocean? 

God we're so backwards here.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

Since when does a group of people need a permit to go for a dip in the ocean? 

God we're so backwards here.

It's ridiculous.  Our government is too inept to even organize a 2-minute dip, with a week's notice. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

So you organize it on Facebook, a thousand people will show up.  A St. John's Ambulance is arranged so that it "just happens" to be passing by at the time of the dip.  CHEK news is there to cover a staged bicycle theft and manages to turn the camera on the swimmers "just in time" to catch the event.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

Meanwhile if you're operating a dispensary...
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

Why are permits needed for a public beach whether its a lake or the sea??

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

Why are permits needed for a public beach whether its a lake or the sea??

I think when you create an "organized" event, liability issues come in.  You and I can go play some pick-up basketball in the park, but if we organize and event, we need more permissions.

#11 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

Polar Bear Swim in Sidney

https://www.facebook...23296214498570/

#12 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC (Saanich)

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

The swim IS ON in the ocean at Dallas Rd. I called CFAX to let them know and the guy who answered the phone was saying that they were only announcing THEIR event that they sponsor as cancelled. I pointed out to him that the PSA says "it is too late to issue permits" and "there will be no polar bear swim in Greater Victoria" - I repeated this three times, he still did not hear what I said, couldn't believe it. He finished with, "as said, there is no polar bear swim that we are involved with."  Okay, Star Wars style spoiler alert: Greater Victoria is CFAX 1070, OMG!!! 

Here is the post at Victoria Sports News about the swim at Dallas Road: http://victoriasport...on-in-victoria/    -- the Times Colonist was swift enough to pick up on it after I posted it.....

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

chris@victoriasportsnews.com

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook
www.victoriasportsnews.com
www.athleticsillustrated.com
www.victoriarunseries.com

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

Swimming at Dallas Road eh!

The media should do an exit poll to find out how many people REALLY think we need sewage treatment.

#14 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

It's fine. Although dumping raw sewage into the ocean is not a great thing, regardless if the straight acts as flushing toilet-like thing, we should treat it first. But it is clean otherwise the very sensitive marine life would be washed up everywhere......

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook

#15 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

The CFAX add claim no Polar Bear swim in Greater Victoria area but Sidney is part of GVA in Fact one can drive to Sidney after work quicker than to Langford

• sdwright.vic likes this

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

That ad has been bugging me.  I didn't think Sidney separated from Greater Victoria. 

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

Doesn't Greater Victoria technically begin in Royal Oak?

I mean those two welcome to Greater Victoria signs are along the Pat Bay in Saanich in Royal Oak and along the Trans Canada in View Royal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

Doesn't Greater Victoria technically begin in Royal Oak?

I mean those two welcome to Greater Victoria signs are along the Pat Bay in Saanich in Royal Oak and along the Trans Canada in View Royal.

Good point.

I'm not aware of any "official" designation of the boundaries for Greater Victoria.  It's not a political entity or administrative district like the CRD. 

EDIT:  And the Victoria Chamber lists Sidney as one of the Greater Victoria municipalities:  https://www.victoria...about_victoria/

#19 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:04 PM

"Greater Victoria" can be the CRD, which is Sooke to Sidney and the Gulf Island as well, remember "CRD" stands for Capital Regional District. 

Greater Victoria is commonly known as "Sooke to Sidney" and the census, which is a federal government thing counts 344,000 people, which would require a Sooke to Sidney range. StasCan actually lists Sidney with its population of just over 11,000 as part of the "Metropolitan area" of Greater VIctoria, here: https://www12.statca...g&GK=CMA&GC=935

Their coloured map includes the peninsula right to Landsend Rd. 

CFAX's PSA is incorrect, there is a Sidney polar bear swim and there is one on Dallas Rd. I count two in Greater Victoria. 

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook

#20 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

Well if you are saying that Greater Victoria starts at those signs then we can safely say that North Saanich ,Sidney,,Central Saanich ,Colwood Langford and Metchosin are not part of the Greater Victoria area and that all the *****ing about 13 municipalities with mayors and fire depts. can now be referred to as only 7 municipalities in the Greater Victoria area the rest are on the other side of those signs and are not part of Victoria

absurd...isnt it?         ...Sidney is as much part of Victoria as Oak Bay or Saanich is

• VictoriaSportsNews likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users