Photo

The Force is Still Strong

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

Our annual Christmas tradition, weather permitting, is to bike to SilverCity and see a movie.  It's usually not too crowded, but this was Star Wars' second weekend so things are different, very different.  First, they were serving up Star Wars three ways - IMAX 3D, D-BOX 3D, and regular 2D.  That in itself is pretty unusual but the interesting tell is from the IMAX seat reservation system - all IMAX seats are reserved.  As of now, all the prime viewing seats are pretty much taken for all showtimes through next Wednesday.  I've reserved my fair share of IMAX seats online, for pretty popular movies, but have never seen this many advance reservations.  The screen cap below is typical of what you'll find.  

BTW, we saw the movie "Joy".  What an amazing true story, you'll never look at a mop the same way again.  :)

We do plan on seeing Star Wars but probably after the new year.  Has anyone seen the movie with the D-BOX seats and would they recommend it over IMAX?

DSC03580.JPG

Star Wars IMAX seats.png

Edited by Gary H, 25 December 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#2 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

Saw it last week and I don't understand all the hype.

There were no standouts in the acting department and there is only so many times you can watch light sabres and battle scenes. 

I thought Mad Max:Fury Road was much better.

#3 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:56 PM

There were no standouts in the acting department and there is only so many times you can watch light sabres and battle scenes. 

Less to do with great acting, and more to do with the revival of what is probably the most beloved film series for most people alive today.

• Jill likes this

#4 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

If you can brave the extra 5 minutes it takes to drive from silvercity to langford there's plenty of seats at the cineplex there. Pack a lunch though.

#5 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

I wouldn't say plenty. Here now and about 10 for the remainder of the day per show.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 26 December 2015 - 04:04 PM.

• sdwright.vic likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

I wouldn't say plenty. Here now and about 10 for the remainder of the day per show.

Please turn of all phones...the show is about to begin...and don't kick the seat in front of you.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#7 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

Saw The Big Short...infuriating, but good!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#8 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

^I saw that yesterday, too, while my husband took our children to Star Wars. Highly recommend it.

#9 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC (Saanich)

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:38 PM

Loved The Force Awakens. 

Highly recommend it. 

• nagel likes this

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

chris@victoriasportsnews.com

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook
www.victoriasportsnews.com
www.athleticsillustrated.com
www.victoriarunseries.com

#10 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

I saw it yesterday too. Very much enjoyed it. I thought the story was well done, lots of hints at events that happened, and some hints of what could come. I'm very interested in the new main villain, wondering where he comes from.

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

Saw Star Wars today....it was ....ok maybe a 7/10 not sure about the hype, seen a lot better movies

• AllseeingEye and Bingo like this

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

I saw it yesterday too. Very much enjoyed it. I thought the story was well done, lots of hints at events that happened, and some hints of what could come. I'm very interested in the new main villain, wondering where he comes from.

Edit... Don't want to spoil it for the kids...

Edited by dasmo, 01 January 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

Saw Star Wars today....it was ....ok maybe a 7/10 not sure about the hype, seen a lot better movies

Agree with this, I wasn't overly impressed. I saw several better flicks in 2015, "Spectre" being near or at the top of that list.

I find the (marketing) hype associated with the latest Star Wars tedious and irksome to the say the least, in particular the TV commercials which cause me to hit the remote MUTE button as fast as humanly possible. IMO this latest installment of the series is really more an homage to the influence and power of the American marketing, hype and PR machine. As an (American) film critic said a few days ago while entertaining for the youngsters especially, this is "far far away....from being a great film."

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Agree with this, I wasn't overly impressed. I saw several better flicks in 2015, "Spectre" being near or at the top of that list.

I find the (marketing) hype associated with the latest Star Wars tedious and irksome to the say the least, in particular the TV commercials which cause me to hit the remote MUTE button as fast as humanly possible. IMO this latest installment of the series is really more an homage to the influence and power of the American marketing, hype and PR machine. As an (American) film critic said a few days ago while entertaining for the youngsters especially, this is "far far away....from being a great film."

I think these fantasy type of films are up against the high quality of video games where you can actually participate with light sabres.

Give me a good film with minimal CGI's and a good plot, and a voice like James Earl Jones as Darth Vader.

https://www.youtube....h?v=KQFho0_G1VI

#15 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Yup I felt it was overhyped so went in expecting much more than was delivered...funny you should say you liked Spectre, as I felt it wasn't as good as previous versions. Kingsman is an excellent movie if you haven't seen it.

#16 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

Yup I felt it was overhyped so went in expecting much more than was delivered...funny you should say you liked Spectre, as I felt it wasn't as good as previous versions. Kingsman is an excellent movie if you haven't seen it.

My only issue with Spectre was that it was overlong long IMO, at over 2.5 hours.

I did like the new villain in "Force" but beyond that I am completely in agreement with Bingo - give me a well acted film that tells a story over CGI/technology any day. In that vein for fans of actual acting I'd highly recommend 1994's Nobody's Fool one of the very best examples of pure acting, and acting as an actual art craft, period. Paul Newman was nominated for a bucket load of awards for reasons that are obviously apparent once you've seen the film. I'll take that type of entertainment over a light sabre any day.

• LJ likes this

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:17 AM

Best Picture nomination for Mad Max:Fury Road,  no Best Picture nomination for Star Wars:The Force Awakens.

#18 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

I think both the Revenant and the Martian were better than Mad Max. Haven't seen the entire list of nominees, so no idea who the likely front runners are. By no means in TFA an Oscar worthy film. But it IS entertaining IMO.

#19 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:17 AM

I think both the Revenant and the Martian were better than Mad Max. Haven't seen the entire list of nominees, so no idea who the likely front runners are. By no means in TFA an Oscar worthy film. But it IS entertaining IMO.

Yeah it was awesome.

I'm 2/3 of the way into the Revenant book, and then I'll watch that.  Martian was good.  Shouldn't win best picture though.

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

Martian was one of the few films that kept me glued to it from beginning to end.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users