Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11581 replies to this topic

#1481 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Luxury.....  Agreed that the Model S interior could be better.  But one of the key factors of a luxury car is how quiet and smooth it is, and that's where an EV cannot be beat.   A Model S/X refresh is likely imminent as well given the 3 outdoes them in a number of areas (AC design, touchscreen speed).  

#1482 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

There are 770 insured electric vehicles on Vancouver Island today compared to 629,230 non-electric vehicles. I suspect there could be a little bit of an upside to cobalt values yet.

Stock values reflect investor expectations for the future, not current results.

• lanforod likes this

#1483 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

I've always been a fan of Mazda. They engineer great looking, great performing cars (especially since the end of their partnership with Ford).

Recent news about their SkyActive3 engine in development claims it will be overall cleaner than electric engines (based on average or fossil fuel source for electricity, not hydro or solar electricity): https://www.popularm...s-clean-as-ev/ 

They also claim their current production engines are already cleaner than electric cars powered by coal generated electricity. http://www.independe...-a8119251.html 

That said, they are hedging their bets by still partnering with Toyota on a US factory for hybrid/electric cars. They are planning to start selling a electric car in 2019 (for 2020 model year), likely with a range extending rotary motor too - not as a hybrid with two drive-trains but simply to power a generator for charging the battery. https://www.greencar...or-electric-car

• jonny likes this

#1484 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Suncor phasing in 150 electric autonomous haul trucks, with job cuts expected by 2019 Suncor says it will continue to work with the union on strategies to minimize workforce impacts

http://business.fina...xpected-by-2019

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1485 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

I've always been a fan of Mazda. They engineer great looking, great performing cars (especially since the end of their partnership with Ford).

Recent news about their SkyActive3 engine in development claims it will be overall cleaner than electric engines (based on average or fossil fuel source for electricity, not hydro or solar electricity): https://www.popularm...s-clean-as-ev/ 

They also claim their current production engines are already cleaner than electric cars powered by coal generated electricity. http://www.independe...-a8119251.html 

That said, they are hedging their bets by still partnering with Toyota on a US factory for hybrid/electric cars. They are planning to start selling a electric car in 2019 (for 2020 model year), likely with a range extending rotary motor too - not as a hybrid with two drive-trains but simply to power a generator for charging the battery. https://www.greencar...or-electric-car

Internal combustion engines are dead in the long term, and Mazda is definitely lagging the industry on EV plans.   However a more efficient engine makes sense in a series hybrid because there it is much easier to maintain efficiency.  You can run the engine at optimal and constant RPM to charge the batteries, rather than having to be efficient across all ranges of speeds.   

That said, series hybrids are going to be a very niche product soon.   Why deal with the complexity and cost of two engines when the electric range and charging infrastructure is enough to meet your needs?   Despite the GM Volt (series hybrid) being an excellent product, the fully electric Bolt is already selling twice as many units.   

If autonomous cars haven't arrived in 5 years, I'll buy one of these.  VW electric microbus scheduled for 2022.  Fully electric camping would be awesome. 

id_buzz_concept_7380-e1503177414880.jpg

Edited by LeoVictoria, 31 January 2018 - 10:46 AM.

• tedward likes this

#1486 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

Damn those numbers are so so poor. I feel like I am missing something (price aside as I am sure there are 20,000 cars on the island in close price range of the Tesla when you factor in gas savings). Insane performance including poor weather (AWD), I haven't had a single issue in more than two years, I haven't had a single service in more than two years, I haven't had any issues going on trips (supercharger network), etc....and the obvious such as time saved not being at a gas station once a week.

I don't know, whenever I see an Audi A7/S7 or Panamera roll by in Victoria I am always like....why???

I test drove a model sTesla. I like the exterior look. Interior felt different in terms of build quality, didn't do any thing for me.  Ended up with a RS7. For me it was the right choice. Horses for courses I guess.

#1487 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

Autonomous driving report from California out today.   There are only two companies testing autonomous cars on the roads in any serious way:  Cruise (GM) and Waymo (Google).

Cruise (GM) vehicles drove 213,000km and disengaged (required a driver to override the autonomous system) an average of once every 2031km.   

Google drove 571,000km and disengaged an average of every 9065km.

In other words, if Victoria was mapped as well as California is, one of Google's cars could have driven us around all year and I'd only have had to step in ONCE.

#1488 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

To give you an idea of the rate of improvement here, GM did 14 times better in 2017 compared to 2016.   The rate of progress is astonishing.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1489 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

Is this all locations, all conditions driving, or is it still fairly tightly controlled?

#1490 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

Is this all locations, all conditions driving, or is it still fairly tightly controlled?

I believe all locations although they still have problems in snow which confuses the LIDAR.

They are working on exactly that though so won’t be a problem for long https://www.wired.co...chigan-testing/

Edited by LeoVictoria, 31 January 2018 - 04:23 PM.

#1491 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

I test drove a model sTesla. I like the exterior look. Interior felt different in terms of build quality, didn't do any thing for me.  Ended up with a RS7. For me it was the right choice. Horses for courses I guess.

Ohh man....can't stand the RS7 in particular...the body kit is a little over the top and hope you don't own one of the grey pepto bismol coloured ones I see around town :) Much prefer the looks for the S7.

That being said if it wasn't for Tesla I would be in a S5 Sportback.

Edited by MarkoJ, 31 January 2018 - 04:51 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1492 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

Autonomous driving report from California out today.   There are only two companies testing autonomous cars on the roads in any serious way:  Cruise (GM) and Waymo (Google).

Cruise (GM) vehicles drove 213,000km and disengaged (required a driver to override the autonomous system) an average of once every 2031km.   

Google drove 571,000km and disengaged an average of every 9065km.

In other words, if Victoria was mapped as well as California is, one of Google's cars could have driven us around all year and I'd only have had to step in ONCE.

Yawn.....still 15 years out, minimum, before I can call a car and jump into the back seat.

#1493 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yawn.....still 15 years out, minimum, before I can call a car and jump into the back seat.

And even then best estimates are that only 10% of the roads in North America are currently up to the standard necessary to support a driverless car (ie lane markings, shoulders, etc).

#1494 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

Waymo plans to offer driverless cars to the public locally around Phoenix by the end of the year.

They are already using them in some restricted areas around ASU and Scottsdale.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1495 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

5 years for the tech, the rest is just politics

#1496 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

And even then best estimates are that only 10% of the roads in North America are currently up to the standard necessary to support a driverless car (ie lane markings, shoulders, etc).

That's a tech issue to solve, not a road issue. The cars should work with freaking logging roads in the back country, IMO. I wanna call a Jeep Wrangler to take me to a secret fishing hole.

#1497 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:03 AM

5 years for the tech, the rest is just politics

I don't buy it....way too many variables. 15 years for tech min in my opinion. I've personally seen how dumb the Tesla autopilot is in very basic situations. There is a long road between Tesla autopilot which is essentially fancy cruise control and driving downtown.

#1498 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:55 AM

Tesla is pretty far behind Google in this field though. GM and Ford are in front.

http://www.businessi...ad-first-2017-4

#1499 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

I don't buy it....way too many variables. 15 years for tech min in my opinion. I've personally seen how dumb the Tesla autopilot is in very basic situations. There is a long road between Tesla autopilot which is essentially fancy cruise control and driving downtown.

Tesla isn't the leader.   Like I said, Waymo is driving an average of 9000 km on any given road before they need a human to step in and that is today.   They are launching a ride sharing service for the public this year with no one in the drivers seat.   There is no way it will take 15 years just to bring that to other markets.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 01 February 2018 - 09:49 AM.

#1500 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

Tesla isn't the leader.   Like I said, Waymo is driving an average of 9000 km on any given road before they need a human to step in and that is today.   They are launching a ride sharing service for the public this year with no one in the drivers seat.   There is no way it will take 15 years just to bring that to other markets.

Leo, is it conceivable that some of the first autonomous vehicles might be airport or sporting event, or theme park parking lot shuttles?

They are operating on private property.

Park your car at the airport, get out with your luggage and up trundles a shuttle for your bags and your family.  Tell it "Alaska Airlines departures" and it takes you there.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 February 2018 - 10:11 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Victoria Watcher