UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Belmont Market Shopping Centre
Uses: commercial, office
Address: Jacklin Road at Jenkins Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 1
Belmont Market Shopping Centre is comprised of 160,000 square feet of commercial space with a Thrifty Foods gr... (view full profile)
Learn more about Belmont Market Shopping Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Belmont Market | Commercial; rentals, condos | Under construction

Under Construction

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#101 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

Uptown should close off Uptown Boulevard to cars and expand their "pedestrian mall" for a huge win.

Hopefully they will never do that because I, and many others use that as a short cut to by-pass the congested highway. When the highway is backed up to Douglas cut through Uptown to get onto Carey rd then out to McKenzie.

#102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

That's reason enough to shut it to vehicular traffic.
  • Coreyburger, tedward, jonny and 2 others like this

#103 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

But there will be many people from Langford shopping at it.

There's plenty of shops I drive to Langford to shop at.

Yes there will be lots of Westshore usage and I'm sure it will be a hit, more or less.

There's a de minimus rule to statements like "nobody".  Personally other than Home Depot and Costco I'm not sure why I would ever go to Langford.  It is practically inaccessible by bike from Saanich and I hate taking unnecessary trips by car.  Unnecessary trips by bike, for sure!

#104 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

If they did that.... Oh the festivals that would move there....

#105 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:42 AM

Hopefully they will never do that because I, and many others use that as a short cut to by-pass the congested highway. When the highway is backed up to Douglas cut through Uptown to get onto Carey rd then out to McKenzie.

You can still do that using the underground ramp.  Actually I hope this is the way you do go because it's faster than turning left, then right, then left.

#106 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

We will see how things change when the Carey rd is extended exits to the right off Douglas are allowed again, onto Carey Rd

#107 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

Uptown Blvd is always packed with cars, so clearly visitors like having that parking there.

Personally I prefer to park underneath.  Where I think Uptown went wrong was with the narrow sidewalks.  You can't walk side-by-side without banging your leg on a flower box.  Forget 4 people trying to pass each other...

• jonny likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#108 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

Uptown Blvd is always packed with cars, so clearly visitors like having that parking there.

Personally I prefer to park underneath.  Where I think Uptown went wrong was with the narrow sidewalks.  You can't walk side-by-side without banging your leg on a flower box.  Forget 4 people trying to pass each other...

It's not really relevant whether cars use it now.  It would be an overall improvement to push all the parking to the parkade.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#109 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

Yes there will be lots of Westshore usage and I'm sure it will be a hit, more or less.

There's a de minimus rule to statements like "nobody".  Personally other than Home Depot and Costco I'm not sure why I would ever go to Langford.  It is practically inaccessible by bike from Saanich and I hate taking unnecessary trips by car.  Unnecessary trips by bike, for sure!

Nagel, it is accessible from Saanich - take Interurban to Viaduct, then to Prospect Lake Road, Munn's Road, the cut through to Highland Road, across the Thetis trails to behind Market on Millstream...  ok, I agree with you - only a fool like I would (have) do that on bike or foot (both)

• 57WestHills likes this
"I know nothing"

#110 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

Nagel, it is accessible from Saanich - take Interurban to Viaduct, then to Prospect Lake Road, Munn's Road, the cut through to Highland Road, across the Thetis trails to behind Market on Millstream...  ok, I agree with you - only a fool like I would (have) do that on bike or foot (both)

I've done the Phelps connector twice starting from the Goose, and it is possible but if you're covered in sweat at the end, on an electric bike, it's not an everyday route by any means.

#111 Yung_Urbanist

Yung_Urbanist
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

Honestly, with two brand new high schools, and an increasingly younger demographic, the "City of Langford" ("City" :confused: ) should at least make an attempt to be a tad more innovative in terms of future development. Sobey's development? I would like to see what their sustainability vision is when their developments are clearly 35 years outdated still prioritizing the private owned vehicle. 

So many opportunities to create a more innovative, refreshing and ambitious design with the site at hand, something maybe that could foster a little bit more social interaction rather than facilitating the ever-growing thirst for the box-store madness.

In case anyone forgot, (looking at you, Stew Young), you took away the skate park which was a staple of your town. It was a public space that provided youth of all ages an opportunity to exercise and create a community; from tournaments and competitions to sponsorship opportunities, you have absolutely decimated this community. 

Speaking in the name of the youth in the Westshore, you are not doing anyone any favors because as soon as I am able to, I am getting the hell out of this town that has nothing but box-stores and multi-nationals to be proud of. When you could distinguish yourself as a walkable, artistic and innovative community, you have opted for the cheaper, easier, and of course, more polarizing option out of them all. I'm out  :banana:

Edited by Yung_Urbanist, 05 June 2016 - 03:06 PM.

• dasmo and nagel like this

#112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:59 PM

.... See Stew is a businessman who runs the City like it is his personal business. He runs it to be efficient and profitable. Not just for him by each and every community member and resident

Thanks Stew...er...I mean HB for that unbiased account of Langford's recent success.  ;)

#113 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

Honestly, with two brand new high schools, and an increasingly younger demographic, the "City of Langford" ("City" :confused: ) should at least make an attempt to be a tad more innovative in terms of future development. Sobey's development? I would like to see what their sustainability vision is when their developments are clearly 35 years outdated still prioritizing the private owned vehicle.

So many opportunities to create a more innovative, refreshing and ambitious design with the site at hand, something maybe that could foster a little bit more social interaction rather than facilitating the ever-growing thirst for the box-store madness.

In case anyone forgot, (looking at you, Stew Young), you took away the skate park which was a staple of your town. It was a public space that provided youth of all ages an opportunity to exercise and create a community; from tournaments and competitions to sponsorship opportunities, you have absolutely decimated this community.

Speaking in the name of the youth in the Westshore, you are not doing anyone any favors because as soon as I am able to, I am getting the hell out of this town that has nothing but box-stores and multi-nationals to be proud of. When you could distinguish yourself as a walkable, artistic and innovative community, you have opted for the cheaper, easier, and of course, more polarizing option out of them all. I'm out

The land the skate board park was on was not owned by the city, Stew didn't take it away, somebody bought the land and repurposed it.

There are more recreational facilities in the Westshore than any other municipal area of the island, if you can't find something to do, you're not trying.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

• Danma and RFS like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

The loss of a skatepark is a valid point. It's too bad Langford/SD63 did not make an effort to replace the skatepark.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:51 PM

The loss of a skatepark is a valid point. It's too bad Langford/SD63 did not make an effort to replace the skatepark.

To be somewhat cynical, Stew Young only makes deals to benefit his friends in the recreation field (operators of Eagle Ridge, Westhills Park, the bowling alley reboot, and the new "North Langford" recreation centre at the hotel).

No money to be made on a free skate park.

• Yung_Urbanist likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:53 PM

Right.

Generations of kids grew up hanging around that skatepark then suddenly it was gone. Imagine being a young resident of Langford and getting that taste of politics.

• Yung_Urbanist and nagel like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#117 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

Honestly, with two brand new high schools, and an increasingly younger demographic, the "City of Langford" ("City" :confused: ) should at least make an attempt to be a tad more innovative in terms of future development. Sobey's development? I would like to see what their sustainability vision is when their developments are clearly 35 years outdated still prioritizing the private owned vehicle.

Speaking in the name of the youth in the Westshore, you are not doing anyone any favors because as soon as I am able to, I am getting the hell out of this town that has nothing but box-stores and multi-nationals to be proud of. When you could distinguish yourself as a walkable, artistic and innovative community, you have opted for the cheaper, easier, and of course, more polarizing option out of them all. I'm out :banana:

That about sums it up... Insert standing ovation emocon....
  • nagel likes this

#118 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

Right.

Generations of kids grew up hanging around that skatepark then suddenly it was gone. Imagine being a young resident of Langford and getting that taste of politics.

That is not politics at all the skate park was on private property and the owner is building a profit making business.

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

The skatepark was on school board land owned by SD63, not private land in the sense it is now. That land was sold to Sobeys, meanwhile Langford council failed to make the necessary arrangements to help build another skatepark elsewhere in the community.

That's a failure and Yung_Urbanist is pointing it out.

• 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.

#120 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:05 AM

The skate park at Belmont attracted crime and criminal activity.

Langford prefers to deal with crime right away unlike Victoria.

Langford prefers not to tie up Police resources continuously in one location over and over again.

There is not any public land available for a skate p.

Langford is not the only municipality in the region without one.the skaters

are invited to go to Victoria to use that one 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users