- - - - -

Market Square

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:09 PM

I find her annoying and her comments on these matters irrelevant but on this I agree with her. It would have been nice to see these timbers re-purposed locally. Not a big deal but it would have been nice.

Agree

#42 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

...Not a big deal but it would have been nice.

That was sort of my point. It should be the antithesis of a big deal for a Councilor who should be grappling with a bridge project coming in at 100% over budget, a proposed billion-dollar-plus waste (of taxpayer money) treatment system and the almost total abandonment of law and order in a prime section of Victoria's downtown core. Yet somehow Ms. Madoff finds the time to worry (and comment) about 100-year-old pieces of timber. This is a government rep with her priorities straight - NOT.

#43 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

I find her annoying and her comments on these matters irrelevant but on this I agree with her. It would have been nice to see these timbers re-purposed locally. Not a big deal but it would have been nice.

Those old growth timbers are worth big money for everything from custom homes to fine furniture and this is not the first time a buyer from the US has purchased old growth lumber. When the high school on Carey Road was demolished a US buyer bought up trailer loads of salvaged 40 foot long 3 X 18's.

• Nparker likes this

#44 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Yet somehow Ms. Madoff finds the time to worry (and comment) about 100-year-old pieces of timber.

Wow, this is the most ridiculous, offensive and mean-spirited thing I have seen posted for while here.

So she made a comment? Big, fat, hairy deal!  Are councilors really expected to spend 100% of their available time on one or two big issues to the exclusion of all others?!!?

It is one thing to disagree with someone but quite another to Hector them for no good reason other than your disdain.

And I am someone who voted against her in every single election I could.

• Rob Randall likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

...It is one thing to disagree with someone but quite another to Hector them for no good reason other than your disdain...

I wasn't "hectoring" anyone. I TRULY believe she, and the rest of Council should be focussing their energies on solving the 3 major looming crises: the Bridge, the billion-dollar-boondoggle and of course the SIC-est camp ground in the region.

#46 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:25 AM

Who's Hector?

#47 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Who's Hector?

Eric Bana.
  • tedward likes this

#48 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:32 AM

Eric Bana.

Achilles polished him off and dragged him behind his chariot...so now it all make sense.

• Nparker likes this

#49 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

I wasn't "hectoring" anyone. I TRULY believe she, and the rest of Council should be focussing their energies on solving the 3 major looming crises: the Bridge, the billion-dollar-boondoggle and of course the SIC-est camp ground in the region.

All other municipal business must cease until those three issues are resolved?  Ridiculous.

• Rob Randall and nagel like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

All other municipal business must cease until those three issues are resolved?  Ridiculous.

I didn't say that. But then you'll only dispute that as well. Cheers.

#51 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

I didn't say that. But then you'll only dispute that as well. Cheers.

You said exactly that! That Madoff shouldn't offer a comment on timber or anything other than the "big three" problems.

For the record, I agree 100% with Pam on this issue. I'd rather see those timbers as part of a great new waterfront Rock Bay pub.
  • Bingo and tedward like this

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

Nobody in Victoria felt the need to buy the timers or offered a price higher than what someone else did. Case closed. Life goes on.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

You said exactly that! ...

Nparker, on 20 Apr 2016 - 1:28 PM, said:

That was sort of my point. It should be the antithesis of a big deal for a Councilor who should be grappling with a bridge project coming in at 100% over budget, a proposed billion-dollar-plus waste (of taxpayer money) treatment system and the almost total abandonment of law and order in a prime section of Victoria's downtown core. Yet somehow Ms. Madoff finds the time to worry (and comment) about 100-year-old pieces of timber. This is a government rep with her priorities straight - NOT.

Where do I say she must deal with the above issues to the exclusion of all else? I said "priorities". To be fair, I doubt she is ever asked her opinion by our local media on anything that isn't 100 years old - or potentially blocks the view of the Sooke hills.

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

Where do I say she must deal with the above issues to the exclusion of all else? I said "priorities". To be fair, I doubt she is ever asked her opinion by our local media on anything that isn't 100 years old - or potentially blocks the view of the Sooke hills.

What does "focus" and "priorities" mean in that context? A councillor is not allowed to have a two-minute phone conversation with the daily paper? Have you actually thought this through?

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

What does "focus" and "priorities" mean in that context? A councillor is not allowed to have a two-minute phone conversation with the daily paper? Have you actually thought this through?

I think priorities is self-explanatory and yes I have thought this through. Thank you for asking.

#56 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:42 PM

"Pam here."

"Pam, it's Bill at the TC. Any thoughts on the Market Square timber sale?"

"Hi Bill. It's a bit disappointing, frankly. Interesting background; my late husband was involved in the conception of Market Square in the early 1970s and those timbers...wait..."

"Pardon?"

"Sorry, I got carried away. I'm supposed to focus on homelessness, sewage and the bridge until further notice".

"Uh, OK. I'll put you down as a no comment I guess. While I have you on the phone, do you have anything to say on the progress City staff are doing on the pot shop regulatory framework?"

"Don't push me, Bill."
  • tedward likes this

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:58 PM

There you go. I could get behind that sort of response; except of course for the fact that the T-C even bothered Council to look into such a garden-variety story, while "Rome burns". I suppose the T-C's most dedicated journalists were looking into the effects of hugging one's dog at the time and someone had to handle the fluff piece.

#58 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

No way. Council is not elected to deal with x number of key issues. They are elected to decide policy in regards to managing and running the city. All policy.
Having an opinion as a council member on any issue is part of their job.
Perhaps they should focus on those key issues, but if they only do that, other minor issues tend to become bigger and bigger.
  • tedward likes this

#59 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

I have to agree that alot of council is enjoying playing with smoke and mirrors right now. Where the SHOULD be saying something they are silent, or so in far right or left field it's ridiculous; or easily willing to run swords p blazing for the most stupid of reasons.

If you don't want to look or be made a fool of, don't let the TC make you into one.

TC- so Pam what do you think of market square and the timber issue?

Pam- You know I think it's sad that we didn't find a use for it here, but of more importance is....
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#60 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

It's like you guys want them to be micro managers. They're supposed to control the general direction. Obviously most people are unhappy with their general direction as to homelessness. Although I'm not sure what you'd want different at this point, except more policing around the courthouse (makes sense to me) and a freeze on any funding (doesn't make sense to me). They can't shut down tent city even if they wanted to. They can't stop Rich from putting in a bunch of temporary beds. They can't load em up on a bus or give them tickets to Vancouver stop other cities that are actually doing those things under the table.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users