BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

Medical-Arts-Building-Citified.jpg

Medical-Arts-Building-rendering-Citified.jpg

Condos eyed for aged Medical Arts block on Pandora at Cook
http://victoria.citi...andora-at-cook/

The Medical Arts Building at 1105 Pandora Avenue is the focus of a redevelopment effort by Vancouver-based Amadon Group, Citified has learned.

Plans indicate the developer intends to restore the 1950's-era office and commercial block and transform it into condos, while padding the height with an additional two floors of residences along the north and west wings. On the surface parking lot immediately to the south, at Johnson and Cook streets, a four-storey, woodframe mixed-use condo and commercial building is also envisioned. [Full article]
  • Jill, thundergun and nagel like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

But where will I get my lab work done???

• bluefox and todd like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:16 AM

:thumbsup:

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

I wonder why the proposal isn't for 6-storeys in the new construction, especially with the changes to the building code allowing for wood frame to that height?

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

I would assume that this is a means of preserving views from the Medical Arts building.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

Nice to see something - anything - happening there after all these years. That is a very tired underwhelming building and the overall lot terribly underutilized given the proximity to downtown. Should be fun to see what the final outcome is because whatever the result it can't help but improve the block.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

...Should be fun to see what the final outcome is because whatever the result it can't help but improve the block.

It should certainly be better than the 1-storey proposal for the parking lot portion of this site that was hinted at a year or so ago.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Right, that was a proposal from 2012. Luckily it never went anywhere.

Earlier there was a proposal for an office building on the parking lot which also fizzled. That was back in 2006, or so.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#9 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

Geez my doctors is in that building, didn't renovate his office very long ago, guess his lease wasn't too long. The buildings is a little creepy I got to say and the elevators.

Remember leaving the doctors once and decided to use the stairs guy blasted past me thought it was kind of weird by the time I got to the lobby the police were rushing the building, apparently robbed something.

Edited by todd, 25 April 2016 - 04:27 PM.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

...The Medical Arts Building at 1105 Pandora Avenue is the focus of a redevelopment effort by Vancouver-based Amadon Group,...On the surface parking lot immediately to the south, at Johnson and Cook streets, a four-storey, woodframe mixed-use condo and commercial building is also envisioned. [Full article]

Assuming this proposal goes through (and I can see no logical reason why it should not, it seems like a no-brainer to me), how long before there will be pressure to bid adieu to the Mazda dealership at the opposite corner?

J&C.JPG

Something in the range of 6-12 storeys would fit nicely here.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

It would, wouldn't it?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#12 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

I think the Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership is the more likely to go, they've put zero money into their building over the past 10-15 years, while the Mada dealership has done a couple of upgrades to modernize their building.  Ideally they both go along with Audi.  Just a matter of time. 

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

...deally they both go along with Audi.  Just a matter of time. 

This.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:44 PM

Assuming this proposal goes through (and I can see no logical reason why it should not, it seems like a no-brainer to me), how long before there will be pressure to bid adieu to the Mazda dealership at the opposite corner?

Something in the range of 6-12 storeys would fit nicely here.

Perhaps the Volvo dealership will move back in with a 6 story showroom and rooftop garage.

• aastra likes this

#15 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Regarding the nearby car dealerships:  wouldn't the Audi Autohaus probably be the first dealership to see its lot redeveloped?   They are moving to a site on Douglas in the Burnside-Gorge area... though I suppose its possible that the parent company will try to place something else at Cook/Yates instead.

Now I wonder if anything is planned for the SE corner of Cook/Johnson, currently home to a hair salon, café, and surface lot...

• Nparker likes this

#16 big dog

big dog
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:36 AM

tenants have been given 2 years notice of eviction

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:05 AM

Nice. Thank you for the confirmation.

Know it all.

#18 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

Any updates on this?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:27 PM

Oh, right, I meant to say that this development is now called The Wade after the architect who designed the Medical Arts Building.

Know it all.

#20 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

And this opened today (my pic).  I like the arrow they painted on the road pointing directly to the location across the street.. ;)

kaijEc0.jpg?1

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users