BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#21 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

A sales office is opening before the proposal even goes through the approval process - or has this been approved and I missed all the usual fear mongering from the neighbourhood association? Which hood does this fall into anyway? Harris Green?

Here's a rendering I don't think we've seen before.

wade.JPG

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:59 PM

Yup, all approvals are in place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:35 AM

The website is up and running too: http://thewade.ca

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this

#24 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

Went to the open house today.  They expect prices to be ready in a couple weeks (wouldn't you have that ready now.. or are they waiting to see what type of interest there is first?).  They actually claim they hope to start construction within a couple months.  There will be an extension to the original building along Pandora, plus a new wing along Johnson.  They'll strip down everything in the original with a whole new exterior.  Interior courtyard which will be an "orchard" of sorts, with apple trees, but pretty much the entire roof will be gardens for growing food (or whatever the hell the residents decide), along with a apiary for bees to pollinate (you'd think they could find their way up there anyways..)  I believe also a rooftop sauna and a seating area, etc.  

They have a full display suite built in there, two bedroom, well, I think they're calling it a junior suite because the second bedroom doesn't have windows, so technically can't be called a two bedroom.  High ceilings, typical smaller open kitchen/living room, but it's nice.  I commented that it could have a great mid-century modern touch, which they said was their perspective as well.. but looking at the exterior design, they didn't really go that way, especially with those balconies.  Look at the exterior of Central Middle School facing west and you'll see what a great job they did bringing back to life a blah building.  Plus the interior didn't have that vibe at all.

Still looks to be a great project, and will bring life and eyes on the green across the street as well. 

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

Construction will be starting next spring, likely in March.

The-Wade-aerial-Citified.jpg

Holistic wellness at the core of downtown Victoria's newest condo development

http://victoria.citi...do-development/

The Medical Arts Building in downtown Victoria’s Harris Green district is on the verge of a major transformation as partners Amadon Group and Westwater Projects launch their latest development.

Envisioned for a one-acre site spanning the 1400-block of Cook Street between Pandora Avenue and Johnson Street is The Wade, a two-building, five and four-storey condo project consisting of 102-units and approximately 24,000 square feet of ground floor commercial space.

Plans call for a full restoration of the five-storey 1950’s-era office complex, designed by architects John Howard Wade and Dexter Stockdill, together with a four-storey extension to the east and a new-build four-storey concrete lowrise at Cook and Johnson streets.

The inspiration behind the project, building on the storied past of one of Victoria’s most recognized examples of modernist architecture, is a development mantra Amadon Group’s President, Max Tomaszewski, brings to the table. [Full article]

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:49 AM

For some reason I am really excited about this project. I think it's a great adaptive re-use for the site and it will be a joy to see that awful surface parking lot transformed.

• jonny likes this

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:56 AM

This is going to be good. I think the rooftop element will be something very special.

• Nparker and jonny like this

Know it all.

#28 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Once again it seems like VV/Citified got the "scoop" first...!
  • Nparker likes this

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:44 AM

The Wade folks were expecting some coverage in the TC, but I guess the article that was published fell flat on its nose and wasn't much of anything, especially since the TC combined it with the news that Harbour Towers may be turned into rentals.

Know it all.

#30 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Courtyard looks like it might not be that sunny. But I like the sound of this one anyway. Now if the car dealers could be persuaded to move....
  • Nparker likes this

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

The Wade folks were expecting some coverage in the TC, but I guess the article that was published fell flat on its nose...

The T-C's coverage on local development is entirely hit and miss. VV and Citified are the ONLY places to go for up-to-date and accurate information.

• johnk likes this

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

:redface:

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#33 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

Mrs johnk gets the TC for the ads, I like Jack Knox and Les Leyne but don't expect news there. Our two local TV stations don't keep us up to date either, too many stories about kittens in trees.
VV has become my source for local news and comment that is so civil compared to many sites.
  • Nparker likes this

#34 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:09 PM

This is great. Amazing to think of all the potential with the wide variety of underdeveloped properties, parking lots and car dealerships in this neighbourhood.

#35 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

I know it's early,  but I wonder how sales are going so far here, given that the presentation centre has been open a few weekends?

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

I don't think they've started selling just yet.

Know it all.

#37 JoshRH

JoshRH
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

Great location, I lived directly across from that building for a couple of years. I wonder if they're going to try to save the trees along Cook? (I know, probably not). 

• aastra likes this

There are more fools than knaves in the world, else the knaves would not have enough to live upon. - Samuel Butler

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

It sure would be nice. Even when a new development is good I think perceptions can be skewed because the streetscape looks so exposed and bare after the removal of a even a couple of mature trees. That might be part of the reason why a villainous new development eventually becomes a treasured not-new development, because the new trees eventually grow big again.

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

...I wonder if they're going to try to save the trees along Cook?...

If the cutting down of trees alongside the 989 Johnson and 1008 Pandora projects are any example, then the trees adjacent to the Wade are probably history. But new trees get planted and the world goes on.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

It has to do with safety of crews, access to the site, access to underground utilities, etc. In most cases it's just one of those things that accompanies new development.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users