BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

The Wade did not require a rezoning or a public engagement process like St. Andrew's did, so there's that. The developers wanted to keep within their allotted zoning to avoid a rezoning process.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

And if I were King of the World I'd have a serious look at the boundaries of Victoria's neighbourhoods and an even more serious look at the excessive influence that NA's have regarding decisions at City Hall.

Amalgamate the neighbourhoods!

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

Amalgamate the neighbourhoods!

Well at least rationalize them.

#64 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

The building won't shade anyone's "farm" nor is there any planned competition to welburns so it should be fine, politically.

I guess the key is to not announce any potential tenants or types of tenants until your zoning is approved and development permits are in hand. Something generic like "ground floor commercial" should suffice, anyway.

For the Mason Street proposal, they seemed to go out of their way to communicate that they planned to put in a grocery store. I guess they thought the community would think that was a benefit, and not heresy.

"You not only want to provide housing in our neighbourhood, but also food? What's next, a clothing store? This area is going all to hell, what with all of this new housing and obscene stores that sell food."

Edited by jonny, 05 October 2016 - 12:29 PM.

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

#65 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

^Yeah, they should have said they were thinking of a medical herb store for the tenant.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#66 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

The website has received substantial updates and now includes all floor plans : http://thewade.ca/floorplans/
  • Nparker likes this

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:31 PM

And as usual, prices are a secret.  You know, it's funny, I can go on the Home Depot website, and probably 100 others, and find the price of the identical electric drill.  Yet for some reason, condo prices are a closely kept secret, even though every one is one-of-a-kind in terms of location, part of the building, views, size and and finishes etc...  I find it odd.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:43 PM

And as usual, prices are a secret.  You know, it's funny, I can go on the Home Depot website, and probably 100 others, and find the price of the identical electric drill.  Yet for some reason, condo prices are a closely kept secret, even though every one is one-of-a-kind in terms of location, part of the building, views, size and and finishes etc...  I find it odd.

I think you need to talk to Mike about "on time and on budget".

By the time the building is completed the price of the condos will have increased, especially if the rebar is coming from China.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

I think you need to talk to Mike about "on time and on budget".

By the time the building is completed the price of the condos will have increased, especially if the rebar is coming from China.

And that's fine, the price of my Home Depot drill might also change over 18 or 24 months.  I'd just like their website to show the current price.  Sort of like ALL MLS listed properties do, for the unique homes they offer.  There is nothing so different about condos for pre-sale.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:41 AM

I went into the demo centre the other day - IIRC, they said that they didn't have prices yet - sometime this week, perhaps?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#71 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

Somebody go in and ask how try are calling windowless rooms a bedroom?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

Somebody go in and ask how try are calling windowless rooms a bedroom?

If they call the kitchen a bathroom, and the closet a bedroom, what does it matter?  Is anyone going to buy a unit without examining the floor-plan?

#73 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

If they call the kitchen a bathroom, and the closet a bedroom, what does it matter?  Is anyone going to buy a unit without examining the floor-plan?

It's false advertising. The are taking a 1-bed+den and passing it off as a more valuable 2-bedroom despite the fact the building code forbids it for health and safety reasons.

But I acknowledge that as a libertarian you are indifferent towards building codes and wouldn't protest if a developer built a condo out of Roman candles.
  • http and kirk like this

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

It's false advertising. The are taking a 1-bed+den and passing it off as a more valuable 2-bedroom despite the fact the building code forbids it for health and safety reasons.

But I acknowledge that as a libertarian you are indifferent towards building codes and wouldn't protest if a developer built a condo out of Roman candles.

As a libertarian I think people ought to be able to advertise however they want, as long as the delivered product is what was represented.  And I think in the case of  condo, further exploration would show the finished product well before any money changed hands.

I do like the Roman candle thing though.

#75 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

If they call the kitchen a bathroom, and the closet a bedroom, what does it matter? Is anyone going to buy a unit without examining the floor-plan?

Because bedrooms are woethnic more then dens. You call a den a bedroom and you can sell for higher. Too many people would actually believe the labeling to be true... and pay more

"Worth more then" that is.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 10 October 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

Because bedrooms are woethnic more then dens. You call a den a bedroom and you can sell for higher. Too many people would actually believe the labeling to be true... and pay more

You'd buy a $300,000 condo without asking where the windows are?

#77 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

I wouldn't. But we are not talking about me. We are talking about the type that buy ITunes cards to pay their "tax bill" to the CRA.
  • Nparker likes this

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

^I'm sure those folks aren't buying real-estate.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#79 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

But the building code doesn't forbid it. Local bylaws forbid it. There are all sorts of muni's who approve this including Vancouver.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#80 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

I'm not fussy; I've stayed in $8 hotels that were as uglier than your average prison. But I stayed one night in a hotel room without a window and it was unexpectedly disorienting. I couldn't take it. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users