BUILT
The Wade
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1105 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 1BR, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Wade is a two-building, 102-unit mixed-use condominium and ground floor commercial development spanning th... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Wade on Citified.ca
Photo

The Wade | Condos; commercial | 5 and 4-storeys | Completed - built in 2021

• Please log in to reply
2514 replies to this topic

#81 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

^I'm sure those folks aren't buying real-estate.

Really? Your sure?

They'll give a mortgage to almost anyone now a days.
  • Mary_s likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#82 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

I'm not fussy; I've stayed in $8 hotels that were as uglier than your average prison. But I stayed one night in a hotel room without a window and it was unexpectedly disorienting. I couldn't take it. 

Never take an inside cabin on a cruise ship then.

• Rob Randall likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

October 12th.

Project info: http://victoria.citi...ondos/the-wade/

The-Wade-October-12-2016b.jpg

The-Wade-October-12-2016a.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:27 PM

Is the building empty now?

Edited by sdwright.vic, 12 October 2016 - 04:27 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

Nope the pharmacy looked open the other day. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#86 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:04 AM

Wade promo material:

A healthy home must nurture body, mind and soul. The Wade design features and amenities are designed to enhance the six elements of: mind, air, water, fitness, light and comfort.

Unless you're in that fake second "bedroom". Those are a little short in the air, light and comfort department.
  • Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

#87 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

I think any 2-bedroom suite with only 534 square feet is going to be lacking in the "comfort" department if more than one person resides in it?

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 16 October 2016 - 05:42 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#88 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

I think any 2-bedroom suite with only 534 square feet isgoimg to be lacking in the "comfort" department of more than one person resides in it?

528 sq/ft is the smallest two bedroom. Might lack on comfortable but would rather live in one of these than the majority of basement suites I view on a daily basis :)

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#89 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

528 sq/ft is the smallest two bedroom. Might lack on comfortable but would rather live in one of these than the majority of basement suites I view on a daily basis

I guess I will be sticking with my 20-year-old, 2 bedroom (all with windows), 900 square foot condo for the foreseeable future.

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

They are not "fake" two-bedrooms or one-bedrooms, they are referred to as "junior" one or two-bedroom layouts because the rooms are larger than typical dens, and the owner could easily use one as either or.

This has been a common naming practice for as long as I can remember.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#91 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

Are people really so naive they can't look at the floorplan and measurements and realize there is a difference between a 528 sq/ft two bedroom, 800 sq/ft and 1,400 sq/ft two bedroom.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

Are people really so naive they can't look at the floorplan and measurements and realize there is a difference between a 528 sq/ft two bedroom, 800 sq/ft and 1,400 sq/ft two bedroom.

I'm 99% sure that they are not putting up money before they investigate.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#93 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:27 PM

They are not "fake" two-bedrooms or one-bedrooms, they are referred to as "junior" one or two-bedroom layouts because the rooms are larger than typical dens, and the owner could easily use one as either or.
This has been a common naming practice for as long as I can remember.

I've never heard that. Really? Has anyone else here heard of that? I've always heard if there's no window, it can't be a bedroom, junior or not.

I have seen several developers get around this by specifying a tall pony wall or a sliding partition so that the bedroom gets air and light via the living room.
  • http likes this

#94 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

That's what I thought too, Rob. A room has to have a window and a closet to be a bedroom as far as I have ever seen. I think it is a fire safety thing.

We recently bought at Sophia and the rooms with no windows were all listed as dens.

Edited by jonny, 16 October 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#95 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:59 PM

We recently bought at Sophia and the rooms with no windows were all listed as dens.

I noticed although they are listed as dens, those Sophia units are illustrated in the floor plan with a dotted-line double bed. They also appear to have sliding doors or wall panels.

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 October 2016 - 08:00 PM.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

How big are the rooms listed as dens? In terms of square footage?

Know it all.

#97 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

Assuming the Wade will have sprinklers, perhaps that allows for a bedroom not to have a means of egress directly outside. From the National Building Code:

...The National Building Code of Canada (NBCC), on which the Provincial Codes are based, has very clear requirements as it relates to bedroom windows and how the bedroom window serves three distinct purposes in the home:

• Light (at least five per cent of the floor area served)
  • Ventilation (at least 0.28m² or 3 ft² or an adequate year-round mechanical ventilation)
  • Emergency Escape: An Emergency Escape requires that each bedroom must have a door that leads directly to the exterior of the building or have a properly-sized egress window that can be opened from the inside without the use of keys, tools, hardware or special knowledge (unless this bedroom has a sprinkler system installed). Building Code article 9.7.1.2. establishes the general requirement that all bedrooms must have at least one window that is large enough to be used as an exit in an emergency. The specific requirements are as follows: Except where the suite has a sprinkler, each bedroom or combination bedroom shall have at least one outside window or exterior door operable from the inside without the use of key, tools or special knowledge and without the removal of sashes or hardware...

https://www.linkedin...494931582945213

In addition, the BC Building Code states:

The BC Building Code generally requires every bedroom in a house and every bedroom in a small multi-family residential building to have an outside window that can be used as an emergency exit. The window opening must be 0.35M2 with no dimension less than 380mm.

http://housing.gov.b...ns/index.htm#09

I would guess the Wade is not classified as a "small multi-family residential building" and therefore the second bedroom may not require an egress window.

Lastly, am I the only one who finds it annoying that we can't search the BC Building Code online for free?

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

Sprinklers are now typically found in every room of a new-build condo/rental apartment.

Know it all.

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

Sprinklers are now typically found in every room of a new-build condo/rental apartment.

That's what I assumed.

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:01 AM

Just to add some more about "junior units," they may also be referred to as such if they have a large walk-in closet.

What JR-1's really are is a studio unit with a separated space that can be used as a den, a closet or a small bedroom, but unlike what is typically referred to as den in a modern condo, the space is large enough for use as a bedroom. A junior two-bedroom is a one-bedroom condo with the same extra separated space that can be used in one of multiple ways.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)