BUILT
Bowker Collection
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Bowker Avenue at Cadboro Bay Road
Municipality: Oak Bay
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 2BR + den, junior 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 43-home, four-storey Bowker Collection is conceived as a contemporary classic of distinctive craft and qua... (view full profile)
Learn more about Bowker Collection on Citified.ca
Photo

[Oak Bay] Bowker Collection | Condos, commercial space | 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:53 AM

Something new (and controversial?) for a "flatiron" corner in Oak Bay: http://www.timescolo...k-bay-1.2270861

Cadboro.JPG

Cadboro2.jpg

• 2F2R likes this

#2 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Bit ugly, I also think Abstract's newly completed development on Oak Bay Avenue and Foul Bay is quite ugly(I know they were trying to go for modern) but beauty is in the eye the beholder I guess.

• johnk likes this

#3 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

It'd be interesting. Not sure retail can survive there.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

...Not sure retail can survive there.

Agreed. I am not certain that corner ever sees as many people passing by as the rendering above suggests. Might as well give it a go and let the market decide.

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

No room for parking.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

Really don't care for it. It looks too blocky and heavy and the overall style seems to be too much like the new building on Oak Bay Avenue. What I'd really love to see here is a restoration of the exterior of the old building, opening up those closed over window spaces, etc. and then some new levels rising up that imitate the distinctive flatiron footprint of the old building.

Copy and paste the top few floors of that abandoned Northern Junk tower for an idea of what I'm talking about.

Edited by aastra, 05 June 2016 - 11:25 AM.

• Jill likes this

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

I suppose they've already decided that the existing building isn't worth keeping even as a shell.

• Nparker likes this

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

I suppose they've already decided that the existing building isn't worth keeping even as a shell.

That is probably true, but I agree it could have provided more of an inspiration. I'd love to see a 6-storey true "flat iron" style design here. Or better yet here: 
Capture.JPG

(taller than 6 floors of course; 10-12 would make sense in this location)

Edited by Nparker, 05 June 2016 - 11:49 AM.

• Jill likes this

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

Really don't care for it. It looks too blocky and heavy and the overall style seems to be too much like the new building on Oak Bay Avenue.

What I'd really love to see here is a restoration of the exterior of the old building, opening up those closed over window spaces, etc. and then some new levels rising up that imitate the distinctive flatiron footprint of the old building.

Copy and paste the top few floors of that abandoned Northern Junk tower for an idea of what I'm talking about.

Just stack the old Turner building on top of it.

Turnersphoto.jpg

• johnk likes this

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

Turner Building would look so slick if they clad the exterior in some clean aluminum panels or some such thing. Very Jetsons-ish.

#11 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

Businesses come and go at that location. Its not pedestrian friendly and Caddy Bay has plenty of vehicle traffic. IMO a bit of a dead corner for retail as its not close to other retail.
I don't much like Abstract's products since Terra Rose.
They seem generic boxes with a bit of lipstick, but I think this is as good a use as this corner is going to get.

#12 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

This project is approved and the project name is Bowker Collection.  http://www.bowkercollection.com

I believe sales will start next month; has anyone seen pricing?

• Nparker likes this

#13 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

Mods: can you change the project name to Bowker Collection and status to Approved?

#14 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

That is probably true, but I agree it could have provided more of an inspiration. I'd love to see a 6-storey true "flat iron" style design here. Or better yet here: 

(taller than 6 floors of course; 10-12 would make sense in this location)

oh yes  :D 

http://vibrantvictor...-15#entry186770

Edited by amor de cosmos, 22 December 2016 - 06:40 PM.

• Nparker and todd like this

#15 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

Gorgeous.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

The discussion continues next month on the proposal for a building at Bowker Avenue and Cadboro Bay Road.

Council put forward questions about the proposed four-storey, mixed-use building at the corner then tasked staff to go back into conversation with the proponent and come back during the Feb. 20 committee meeting.

Floor area ratio, lot coverage, frontage and massing appearance continue to be concerns.

The design is a ‘V’ with commercial fronting on Cadboro Bay Road and a townhouse look to the residential units on Bowker Avenue.

http://www.oakbaynew.../411821096.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

Waaaay too much brick. Holy cow. Methinks an easy/obvious way to alleviate some of the sheer weight would be to lighten up those balconies. Ditch the impenetrable brick railings and replace them with glass. And how about a splash of colour somewhere? Why so dreary?

https://oakbay.civic.../document/19148

Edited by aastra, 30 January 2017 - 11:44 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Distinguish the ground floor residential units. Clad them in something different. There's just way too much brick. It looks bleak.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

The design should be wedge-shaped to reflect the site. The squared-off end is a very poor choice.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, ideally it would match the existing building in that regard.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users