Photo

North Vancouver mayor proposes return-it deposit on cigarette butts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Powerforward

Powerforward
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:16 AM

A Metro Vancouver mayor is pitching a B.C.-wide return-it deposit for cigarette butts — similar to the fees charged for pop cans and beer bottles — as a way to keep the litter from contaminating storm drains and local waterways.

North Vancouver Mayor Darrell Mussatto, chairman of Metro Vancouver’s utilities committee, said he will suggest next month that the Metro committee study the issue and the effect it has on aquatic wildlife, saying there has been a substantial increase in the number of butts dumped on the streets and ending up in local storm drains.

The move follows a unanimous decision by the North Shore city council this week to ask the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention to support the cigarette butt return-it deposit at its convention in September. Mussatto said he also plans to meet with MLAs and lobby the provincial government to consider legislating the return-it deposit.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/local+news/hold+onto+your+butts+north+mayors+proposes+return+deposit/12013633/story.html

#2 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

Doesn't this not make sense in areas with a Tobacco smoking ban? 

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

Doesn't this not make sense in areas with a Tobacco smoking ban? 

The smoking ban is another one of those things that is not enforced.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

The smoking ban is another one of those things that is not enforced.

I give people dirty looks who are smoking cigarettes blatantly in crowded public areas.

#5 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

I like the idea. With more smokers outside, more cigarette butts are probably ending up on the street, and then in storm drains. Plus, if more smokers retain their stinky butts, the smell would be a further deterrent to quitting altogether. But who would collect the returns? And would they dare take such a job if it didn't include a hazmat suit?

#6 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:17 PM

I like the idea. With more smokers outside, more cigarette butts are probably ending up on the street, and then in storm drains. Plus, if more smokers retain their stinky butts, the smell would be a further deterrent to quitting altogether. But who would collect the returns? And would they dare take such a job if it didn't include a hazmat suit?

I guess places like the Bottle Depot maybe can add it to their services?

What are the chances of getting Hepatitis from picking up a Cigarette butt? And for that matter a Pop can?

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

But who would collect the returns? And would they dare take such a job if it didn't include a hazmat suit?

The same folks that are binning today will do it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

Meanwhile, the kid that works at the Bottle Depot who thinks his job couldn't get any worse is about to get a surprise.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Powerforward like this

#9 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

Meanwhile, the kid that works at the Bottle Depot who thinks his job couldn't get any worse is about to get a surprise.

How would you measure it? Would you have to count every butt? The weight should be different brand to brand/the point the Cigarette was terminated, just pile them all into a bag with a fill line?

It seems like it would be easy to counterfeit a Cigarette butt.

Somebody is going to need to do the inspection manually.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#10 Powerforward

Powerforward
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

I hope its not the store operators who'll have to take them, like empty bottles. They'll have to keep the bins full of stinky cigarette butts on the premises until disposed of.

Edited by Powerforward, 29 June 2016 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users