BUILT
1400 Quadra Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1400-1412 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 14
1400-1412 Quadra Street is a 14-storey purpose-built rental complex on Quadra Street at Johnson Street in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1400 Quadra Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1400 Quadra Street | Rentals, retail | 14-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

The car dealership/repair/auto rental shop is moving, and the vape shop has been put on a month-to-month notice.  The third space has been for lease forever.

Soil testing has been taking place on the site.

Anybody know what used to be here?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

A month ago this would have been a great location for redevelopment. Now it's next door to downtown Victoria's latest homeless shelter. I can't envision anyone wanting to spend much to enhance this corner.

850.JPG

850-2.JPG

#3 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

Yep. Not surprised at all that the businesses currently located here want out

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

The car dealer has now closed, all but a handful of cars are gone.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:19 PM

The whole site is now fenced off; is demolition coming? 

I can definitely see this corner being a prime candidate for a major development (possibly rental)...

#6 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

The whole site is now fenced off; is demolition coming? 

I can definitely see this corner being a prime candidate for a major development (possibly rental)...

The site has been fenced by PHS to keep the neighbours out. It was requested by The 834 Strata and the Victoria Conservatory of Music at one of the bi-weekly community meetings that are held re: Central Care Home issues. After the car dealership moved out and prior to the fence going up, there were a lot of people just hanging out in the lot doing questionable things.

#7 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:54 PM

Perhaps Mike K will be able to get the 'scoop' on what's being planned for this site... :teacher:

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:50 PM

The site has been fenced by PHS to keep the neighbours out....After the car dealership moved out and prior to the fence going up, there were a lot of people just hanging out in the lot doing questionable things.

Welcome to the future of downtown Victoria.  :mad:

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

Perhaps Mike K will be able to get the 'scoop' on what's being planned for this site... :teacher:

I'll definitely put some feelers out :)

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Oh ya, we even have a thread...  this might be the first parking lot thread we've ever had.

#11 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Maybe a good place for a street market for the people who live next door.

Or an open air chop shop for bikes.

I am thinking the place will be excavated to removed contaminated soils such as was done next to market on Yates

#12 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Maybe a Park and ride DVBA said there was a second and 3rd plan.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#13 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

I've heard that a residential building is in the works, surprisingly, with no ground floor commercial. Zoning for 850 Johnson would allow 9 storeys, 1400 Quadra would require rezoning.

#14 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

Where did you hear it

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

I've heard that a residential building is in the works, surprisingly, with no ground floor commercial. Zoning for 850 Johnson would allow 9 storeys, 1400 Quadra would require rezoning.

9 storeys seems unreasonably short for this location, especially considering two 20-storey towers are planned for almost exactly across the street. What is the deal with this city's absurd height/zoning regulations anyway?

Any idea who the developer may be Jackerbie?

Edited by Nparker, 23 March 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

In the city's documentation for Chard's two-towers project it was mentioned that there were three development proposals that would shadow the towers. It seems funny that they would bother to note the shadowing of two 20-story towers by a 9-story building situated to the northeast of the towers, doesn't it? So is this car dealership project one of the shadowy suspects or not?

• Nparker likes this

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

In defense of a shorter building on this site, you want to have variation.

And it also marks the transition from the taller buildings of downtown to the shorter buildings of North Park.

I don't have a problem with it. Downtown Victoria could use more sharp residential buildings in the 6-10 story range. I like 860 View and the Mondrian.

Edited by aastra, 23 March 2017 - 11:23 AM.

#18 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Too close to the old church for a large building city doesn't like blocking out views perhaps of sigificant heritage structures

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

In defense of a shorter building on this site, you want to have variation. And it also marks the transition from the taller buildings of downtown to the shorter buildings of North Park...

The high-rises closest to this (834 Johnson, the Sandpiper, the forthcoming Yates on Yates, Yello, 989 Johnson & Legato all are - or will be - significantly taller than 9 floors.

Capture.JPG

I think this corner could well handle a building in the 12-15 floors range; something like the Juliet perhaps. We'll regret it in the future if this site is underdeveloped now. It needs ground floor commercial though. I can't envision residences at street level here.

#20 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

Where did you hear it

One of the property owners across the street is a family friend, who's also pondering the redevelopment potential of his property. Yates on Yates must be spinning some wheels.

9 storeys seems unreasonably short for this location, especially considering two 20-storey towers are planned for almost exactly across the street. What is the deal with this city's absurd height/zoning regulations anyway?

Any idea who the developer may be Jackerbie?

No idea who the developer would be on this one, but I think it's safe to rule out Chard at least  ;)

As for the height, 9 storeys full residential or 10 storeys w/ ground floor commercial is what is allowed under the existing zoning for 850 Johnson only. A land consolidation for the whole corner would require rezoning, which would give the opportunity to explore a greater height.

Edited by Jackerbie, 23 March 2017 - 01:52 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)