British Columbia real-estate and foreign buyer taxes

• Please log in to reply
1003 replies to this topic

#381 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

Just waiting for Comrade Isitt to propose an empty bedroom tax where the homeowner gets a choice of letting a homeless person stay in your spare room for free or pay the City $800 a month to keep it empty....

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 1 other like this

#382 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,846 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:03 AM

Just waiting for Comrade Isitt to propose an empty bedroom tax where the homeowner gets a choice of letting a homeless person stay in your spare room for free or pay the City $800 a month to keep it empty....

OMG! You've just put that idea out into the universe for Ben/Ben Jr. to see!  :eek:

• rjag likes this

#383 LJ

LJ
  • 12,757 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

So what is stopping me from renting it to my son/daughter and they just happen to not be staying there. What does "tenanted" mean? Could you list it on Air BnB and just not rent it to anyone? 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#384 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

So what is stopping me from renting it to my son/daughter and they just happen to not be staying there. What does "tenanted" mean? Could you list it on Air BnB and just not rent it to anyone?

the answer you seek is in a dictionary.

Kinda like saying "what would happen if I don't declare my income to the CRA? What would happen if I declare that I'm being paid in Monopoly money instead of cash?"

Edited by LeoVictoria, 01 May 2017 - 08:24 PM.

#385 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

But what if I say it's tenanted by my son?  He's the tenant there, and his wife is the tenant at the other house.  Ya, he sleeps over there all the time with her, but here is his lease with me.  The whole system seems bunk.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#386 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

But what if I say it's tenanted by my son?  He's the tenant there, and his wife is the tenant at the other house.  Ya, he sleeps over there all the time with her, but here is his lease with me.  The whole system seems bunk.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

#387 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:45 PM

Foreign purchaser tax. Vacancy tax. What's next?

There's something inherently wrong about trying to address affordability issues in this manner. The reason, presumably, that we should care if people can afford to buy their own home as opposed to renting, is because of the set of property rights obtained through home ownership. Reducing those property rights is an odd way to solve the problem.

• jonny and Awaiting Juno like this

#388 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

Lucky tax if the house number contains the digit 8.

• jonny likes this

#389 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

There's something inherently wrong about trying to address affordability issues in this manner. The reason, presumably, that we should care if people can afford to buy their own home as opposed to renting, is because of the set of property rights obtained through home ownership. Reducing those property rights is an odd way to solve the problem.

Well the good news is that the tax and spend policies of our various levels of Government continue to drive down the value of the Canadian dollar so that foreign owners don't need to be concerned about the 1% property tax. They have made that up in foreign exchange many times over in the past year.

• Mike K., rjag, sebberry and 1 other like this

#390 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

If Vancouver City Hall wants to fundamentally improve Vancouver’s housing situation, it should focus on building more housing units rather than trying to sniff-out unoccupied housing. The zero-sum mentality has to end. The Vancouver of 2027 won’t look like the Vancouver of 2017. It will either be a denser, more dynamic city. Or a playground for the wealthy. The choice should be obvious.

http://theprovince.c...-and-affordable

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#391 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

^ Obvious to who? I know what the wealthy would choose!

Edited by spanky123, 07 May 2017 - 12:27 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#392 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

That's what's playing out in Oak Bay as we speak. Even the mayor has stated that he isn't sure if the answer to the housing issue is density.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#393 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,846 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

That's what's playing out in Oak Bay as we speak. Even the mayor has stated that he isn't sure if the answer to the housing issue is density.

And if not increased density then what - that doesn't add to the burden of taxpayers?

#394 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,580 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

It's not density as it is playing out now. We need lots and lots of row houses and duplexes not condos. Not luxury homes with basement suites either.

#395 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,846 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

It's not density as it is playing out now. We need lots and lots of row houses and duplexes not condos... 

Actually, we need all of these housing forms.

#396 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,580 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Actually, we need all of these housing forms.

Sure condos have their place and are also needed but the reason we have hit a "crisis" is because family friendly density has barely happened. If that Train makes it to West Hills than som more of this can happen....
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#397 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,846 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

...the reason we have hit a "crisis" is because family friendly density has barely happened...

Well that's a reason, but even more so the CRD simply doesn't have anywhere near the supply of all types of housing stock to meet the demand.

#398 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

Sure condos have their place and are also needed but the reason we have hit a "crisis" is because family friendly density has barely happened. If that Train makes it to West Hills than som more of this can happen....

There is actually no "crisis", as I have said before.  I do not know a single working person that is homeless because of our tight housing supply.  Zero.  There are no such people.

• Matt R. likes this

#399 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

The issue is so-called family friendly density in the urban core is being assumed by wealthy retirees.

You can be blue in the face with suggestions on what family friendly housing should be and how much should be built, but if families can't afford $650k two-bedroom condos they won't be able to afford $1.1-million rowhouses in Oak Bay. And that's why Langford/Colwood/Mill Bay are now the destinations of families. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

Actually, Chard is developing a collection of rowhouses in Oak Bay. My guess is they will start at around $800k and top out at over a million.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#400 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,580 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:51 AM

I'm not talking about first time buyers living in a SFH in the core... I've been in this market since 2003. That wasn't easy then.... but perhaps IF more of that style inventory was built in the core there would be less pressure on the West Shore.
  • rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users