BUILT
1032-1052 Cloverdale Avenue
Use: townhome
Address: 1032-1052 Cloverdale Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Sales status: sold out / resales only
1032-1052 Cloverdale Avenue is a 14-unit townhome development in the municipality of Saanich.... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1032-1052 Cloverdale Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] 1032-1042 Cloverdale | 14 townhomes | Approved

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 sPAZEDiN

sPAZEDiN
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

What is the price point for these townhouses, and what is considered affordable for a townhouse to Saanich council?

Pricing is set at the time marketing commences, as price is always changing. Pricing was going to be $499,000 incl Gst for the smallest unit, to approx $600,000 for the 4-bedroom units.

The idea was to offer the same amount of living space as you'd get in a small house in Langford, and as you're not car dependent you can sell your second car because in this location you don't need it. Council says out of one side of their mouth that in the future we won't need as much parking, and the other side of their mouth they say they don't believe they should approve a variance of 2-spaces because every unit must have 2-parking spaces. They're chasing their own tail in circles.

• Nparker, rjag and nagel like this

#22 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:37 AM

Isn't this a contradiction - fewer units AND make them lower priced? How exactly is that possible?

It's only possible if you subscribe to the greedy developer logic.

• sPAZEDiN likes this

#23 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

Pricing is set at the time marketing commences, as price is always changing. Pricing was going to be $499,000 incl Gst for the smallest unit, to approx $600,000 for the 4-bedroom units.

The idea was to offer the same amount of living space as you'd get in a small house in Langford, and as you're not car dependent you can sell your second car because in this location you don't need it. Council says out of one side of their mouth that in the future we won't need as much parking, and the other side of their mouth they say they don't believe they should approve a variance of 2-spaces because every unit must have 2-parking spaces. They're chasing their own tail in circles.

Those prices seem reasonable. 600k for a 4 bedroom in that location is great value. Council is being completely unrealistic and have come away from this looking (to me,anyways) incompetent and disorganized.
  • sPAZEDiN likes this

#24 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Yes, I would say those prices are affordable for new construction townhouses. 

That area can handle higher density.  It's right next to an apartment building already, and another two across the street.

• sPAZEDiN likes this

#25 sPAZEDiN

sPAZEDiN
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

Yes, I would say those prices are affordable for new construction townhouses. 

That area can handle higher density.  It's right next to an apartment building already, and another two across the street.

The proposed project encompasses three RS-6 zoned houses out of seven, sandwiched between an apartment building and commercial zoning on a main arterial road. The proposal is medium density in nature, I don't understand why council and the NIMBYs demonize this by saying it's high density....it clearly is NOT!

• Nparker likes this

#26 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

... I don't understand why council and the NIMBYs demonize this by saying it's high density....it clearly is NOT!

You have to remember that to many NIMBYs "high density" means anything more than the current occupancy of their own home.

#27 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

The largest municipality in the whole CRD, with over 30,000 dwelling units, and it stumbles over 12-14 townhomes.

is it typical (in areas outside of the CRD) for puny projects like this to even go to Council? I would think they could delegate some decision making authority to one of their many six-figure managers.

• Nparker likes this

#28 sPAZEDiN

sPAZEDiN
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

is it typical (in areas outside of the CRD) for puny projects like this to even go to Council? I would think they could delegate some decision making authority to one of their many six-figure managers.

The report from staff supported the project, the councillors did not, they didn't listen to their staff/managers.

Edited by sPAZEDiN, 25 January 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

...the councillors...didn't listen to their staff/managers.

They often do not (and not just in Saanich).

#30 sPAZEDiN

sPAZEDiN
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

UPDATE:

There is a Public Hearing tomorrow night Tuesday June 27, 2017 @ 7-pm in Saanich Council Chambers.

We'd love to have you come out and support this infill project targeted at families and young professionals, the proposal is for a terrific range of sizes from 2-bedrm & den units all the way to 4-bedrm family sized units.

Staff report here: http://www.saanich.c...jun2717srph.pdf

#31 sPAZEDiN

sPAZEDiN
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

CLOVER - Front View.jpg

CLOVER - View 3 (3).jpg

Attached Images

• CLOVER - View 3.jpg

Edited by sPAZEDiN, 26 June 2017 - 04:16 PM.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

We could use a lot more of these types of townhouse projects to replace some of the outdated and low-density housing downtown.

• sebberry and sPAZEDiN like this

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

I quite like that design, spazed. Good work!

• sPAZEDiN likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 sPAZEDiN

sPAZEDiN
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

Can't come but I just emailed council in support.  Good luck!

Nagel, are you coming to the meeting tonight? Hope to see you there :)

#35 sPAZEDiN

sPAZEDiN
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Thank you to all who worked on this proposal at the community level, your well thought out input was very much appreciated.

The project received unanimous support from council last night to proceed. It is going to be quality asset for the community and a big catalyst for revitalising the 4-Corners area.  

• Mike K., Nparker and jonny like this

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

Nicely done, spazed.

What's the marketing name for the project, if one is available?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

Great to hear!
I was dissapointed the first proposal wasn't approved, but I'm glad there is a happy ending after all.

#38 sPAZEDiN

sPAZEDiN
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

Hi Mike, we don't have a name yet!

We are open to suggestions though!!!   :)

#39 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

"Cloverdale Commons"

• sPAZEDiN likes this

#40 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:28 AM

I love the look of this project! Will be a vast improvement over the current SFHs there.

My parents made an offer on one of the homes in 1995 (my dad was thinking development potential down the road) but were like $3,000 apart with the sellers and we ended up in the Oaklands area.

• jonny likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users