Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3707 replies to this topic

#2661 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 06:42 AM

I had the luxury of a dental implant a couple of years ago, and the process was fairly horrendous but I tend to have an addictive personality so when the dentist prescribed me 20 tramadol I said I’d be ok with the pain and changed it to five in case it was truly unmanageable. It wasn’t, didn’t need the drugs at all, but it sure was easy to get them. Didn’t even have to ask.

Same. Dentist gave me some crazy pain meds that were awesome, but I didn’t need them. I ended up throwing them away because of how strong they were, and how great they made you feel.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2662 Beacon

Beacon
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 02:33 PM

Correlate this with the countries that are the happiest in surveys...hmm:

World’s 20 Happiest Countries in 2023
  1. Finland
  2. Denmark
  3. Iceland
  4. Israel
  5. Netherlands
  6. Sweden
  7. Norway
  8. Switzerland
  9. Luxembourg
  10. New Zealand
  11. Austria
  12. Australia
  13. Canada
  14. Ireland
  15. United States
  16. Germany
  17. Belgium
  18. Czech Republic
  19. United Kingdom
  20. Lithuania

Source: https://www.forbes.c...sh=11bc9ee579c2

#2663 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:06 PM

B.C.’s drug decriminalization experiment is off to disastrous start

https://www.theglobe...sastrous-start/

For months, Mike Stolte has watched the rapid deterioration of his neighbourhood in historic downtown Nelson, B.C., a decline precipitated by activities at a nearby provincial health facility that has become a hangout for drug users.

Every day, a group of up to 20 young people gathers at the Nelson Friendship Outreach Clubhouse, where mental health and addiction programs are available. But outside, people have been selling and using drugs.

When neighbours complained to the police, officers said their hands were effectively tied because of the province’s experiment with decriminalization. As of January, people are now allowed to carry small amounts of drugs and use them publicly in B.C. But Nelson residents are now stepping around needles and stepping over those who have passed out on city sidewalks.

“I’m a pretty liberal person who has been involved in compassionate programs for hospices and other entities,” Mr. Stolte told me. “So, I feel for anyone battling addictions. I was initially a fan of decriminalization but I think the longer we continue with this experiment, the more and more downtowns are going to cease to exist. Nobody will want to go near them.”

After experiencing four thefts at his home near the Clubhouse in the last two months – after not having any in the previous nine years that he’s lived in Nelson – Mr. Stolte told me he now keeps a baseball bat and bear spray at his front door. His neighbours have complained about drug users defecating in their yards. The police have been called hundreds of times in response to complaints.

This is now a common lament across B.C. Open drug use is plaguing many cities and towns. In Nelson, the provincial health department had been planning to turn the Clubhouse into a safe inhalation centre for drug users, but that initiative is on hold because of complaints from those living in the area. There has been talk of hiring a security firm to try and disperse people from hanging around the Clubhouse.

It’s been a nightmare for the quaint little city that was the setting for the 1986 Steve Martin film Roxanne.

A number of B.C. municipalities are now proposing bylaws to restrict public drug use, which has proliferated under decriminalization after it went into effect in January. The trial is scheduled to last for three years. But proposed laws that would restrict where drug use can take place are alarming health experts who believe this will force users into darker corners of society, where they can’t be saved if they overdose.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 June 2023 - 05:07 PM.

#2664 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:49 PM

B.C.’s drug decriminalization experiment is off to disastrous start...

"I'm shocked!" said no one with an IQ above room temperature.

#NegligentDisasterParty

#2665 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:53 PM

...proposed laws that would restrict where drug use can take place are alarming health experts who believe this will force users into darker corners of society, where they can’t be saved if they overdose.

No one is being saved now. Addicts' deaths just happen more slowly even though they are out in the open.

• Victoria Watcher, E2V and Beacon like this

#2666 Beacon

Beacon
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 07:37 AM

No one is being saved now. Addicts' deaths just happen more slowly even though they are out in the open.

Supposedly it's compassionate to assist in self destruction.  and if anyone says, we need to keep them alive till they get treatment....well it's been a public health emergency since 2016,how much more time do you need?  and are OD deaths rising or falling since rolling out enablement policies and assistance?  proof is in the numbers but wooocooodanode?

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#2667 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 09:11 AM

This could have gone in any number of threads but I think I will plunk it here. It's Aaron Gunn's latest 1 1/2 hour documentary that has had over 1M views in 2 weeks.

It gets a little laborious in the middle, but it picks up towards the end. I found it more comfortable to watch it on my big TV as opposed to my laptop. Maybe some popcorn.

Canada is Dying.

https://www.youtube....h?v=_RaWzJUeT0o

• Nparker and kjf like this

#2668 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 09:48 AM

It’s not dying, it’s being re-colonized. This is the modern version of diseased blankets. Maybe if we became a true country, a republic. Creating a distributed government with all the provinces and the First Nations forming a union, a new confederation. That would be a great reset and the very definition of decolonization!

#2669 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 09:58 AM

Did you get banned from 4Chan, or something? You're now the conspiracy nut of the forum. If it's not davonians, it's diseased blankets. And you won't even engage in a conversation, because everything is a strawman argument.

I'm going to only say this once. I do not care for anyone on this forum referring to immigrants as a diseased blanket.

Either you walk that back, or you can walk away. Choice is yours.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2670 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:07 AM

Being triggered by something so mundane as my post above which is obviously metaphorical yet rooted in truth more reflects unexplored issues with your shadow self not anything to do with me. I am a trickster. I like to teach through provocation. It’s good for your viewership!

Edited by dasmo, 13 June 2023 - 10:07 AM.

#2671 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:09 AM

I didn’t say what you just said I did either. I was referring to the video above which has nothing to do with immigration.

#2672 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:09 AM

I am pro-immigration.

#2673 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 10:15 AM

I think you should take a break from VV.

Know it all.

#2674 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 01:52 PM

OK, but for the record the comment was in relation to flooding our streets and culture with "safe supply" of a toxic chemicals. Not immigration. And my metaphor to colonisation vs immigration is in the how not the what. We have lots of room to share what we have here. However, there is no need to destroy what we have. Sorry to have irritated you so much with my style here Mike. 

Edited by dasmo, 13 June 2023 - 02:27 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 02:08 PM

If your comment about diseased blankets and colonization wasn’t in relation to newcomers to Canada, then I stand corrected, and that is a relief. You’re a valued contributor here, and I wasn’t prepared to hear you say that, thinking you meant it in relation to immigrants.

I think we agree, that what’s happening with addiction and how we’re dealing with it, is not what we signed up for.
  • dasmo likes this

Know it all.

#2676 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 02:26 PM

If your comment about diseased blankets and colonization wasn’t in relation to newcomers to Canada, then I stand corrected, and that is a relief. You’re a valued contributor here, and I wasn’t prepared to hear you say that, thinking you meant it in relation to immigrants.

I think we agree, that what’s happening with addiction and how we’re dealing with it, is not what we signed up for.

I understand I am cryptic and metaphor/sarcasm doesn't translate well in text. I know that. I know better. But it's what comes naturally and I was triggered by the video so wrote that off the hip. My shadow self likes to be the provocateur. I guess I need to do the work. Haha. 

#2677 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 02:43 PM

Yes, all good, thank you Dasmo.

Know it all.

#2678 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 02:53 PM

I didn’t mean to upset the apple cart with that video link.

I thought that it was well produced and made some mind boggling assertions.
  • kjf likes this

#2679 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:34 AM

I do not care for anyone on this forum referring to immigrants as a diseased blanket.

I thought about this this morning. So harsh. No wonder you were angry. This is the opposite of me. A friend once called me a sandpaper teddy bear. Haha. I only want the best for all of us here in our little paradise. I just don't see those that are supposed to be managing our collective pool of money to make things better for us doing that. That is my trigger.

• Mike K. likes this

#2680 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:38 AM

...I just don't see those that are supposed to be managing our collective pool of money to make things better for us doing that...

Amen to that.

It seems as though those in charge of managing our collective money go out of their way to spend it foolishly, with few positive results.

• dasmo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users