Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
4359 replies to this topic

#4001 Beacon

Beacon
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 07:51 AM

Take aware DARE, take away SLOs but give access to no stigma drug use policies and "harm reduction" devices, dillies and how to information and wonder why the results are what they are

• Nparker likes this

#4002 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,368 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 08:36 AM

Useful Idiots just obeying the globalist influencers. Same as every other policy. Or is it coincidence it's the same all over? 

All I do is check the UN and their immense web of NGOs and Voila!

"VIENNA/GENEVA, 22 March 2024— UNAIDS welcomes the adoption of a key resolution today at the 67th session of the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND), recognizing harm reduction for the first time as an important part of an effective public health response. The resolution encourages member states to develop and implement harm reduction measures to minimize the adverse public health and social consequences of the non-medical use of illicit drugs. UNAIDS congratulates the CND and the CND Chair for this historic milestone.

The resolution represents a landmark in political commitment to a rebalancing of drug policy towards a public health approach. Such a shift is critical to meeting the targets in the 2021-2026 Global AIDS Strategy.

Harm reduction is a “a comprehensive package of evidence-based interventions, based on public health and human rights, including needle syringe programmes (NSPs), opioid agonist maintenance therapy (OAMT) and naloxone for overdose management. Harm reduction also refers to policies and strategies that aim to prevent major public and individual health harms, including HIV, viral hepatitis and overdose, without necessarily stopping drug use.” (World Health Organization, 2022)." 

https://www.unaids.o..._harm-reduction

#4003 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,558 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 08:39 AM

What did these three university girls think they were doing?

By what method did they ingest these drugs?

Article leaves that out. A very long article.

#4004 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,368 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 08:54 AM

It's advertising for the policy.... Just look at the language. 

Warning them of the unsafe drug supply in B.C.

Sidney’s parents are angered by the lack of accountability from the university.

“It is inconceivable that eight years into the opioid public health emergency, a student can die from an overdose on a campus when witnesses called for help immediately,” McIntyre said.

Because young people are developmentally at higher risk of making poor choices, McIntyre believes the B.C. government should take steps to better ensure the safety of the 300,000 post-secondary students in the province. Those include making easy-to-use nasal naloxone readily available on post-secondary campuses, giving students simple instructions on how to use it during first-year orientation, and reviewing the emergency medical response rules on university and college campuses.

All parents should care about expanding harm reduction supplies and training on campuses, McIntyre said, even if they don’t think their children will experiment with illicit drugs.

#4005 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 09:17 AM

...The [UN] resolution encourages member states to develop and implement harm reduction measures to minimize the adverse public health and social consequences of the non-medical use of illicit drugs...

Harm reduction has overwhelmingly proven to have the opposite effect.

#4006 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 09:19 AM

...All parents should care about expanding harm reduction supplies and training on campuses, McIntyre said...

What a terrible parent. 

#4007 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 May 2024 - 09:26 AM

It's advertising for the policy.... Just look at the language. 

Warning them of the unsafe drug supply in B.C.

Sidney’s parents are angered by the lack of accountability from the university.

“It is inconceivable that eight years into the opioid public health emergency, a student can die from an overdose on a campus when witnesses called for help immediately,” McIntyre said.

Because young people are developmentally at higher risk of making poor choices, McIntyre believes the B.C. government should take steps to better ensure the safety of the 300,000 post-secondary students in the province. Those include making easy-to-use nasal naloxone readily available on post-secondary campuses, giving students simple instructions on how to use it during first-year orientation, and reviewing the emergency medical response rules on university and college campuses.

All parents should care about expanding harm reduction supplies and training on campuses, McIntyre said, even if they don’t think their children will experiment with illicit drugs.

So, when these kids were 17 and living at home still did the parents:
Make easy-to-use nasal naloxone readily available at homes, giving their kids simple instructions on how to use it, and review the emergency medical response rules at home?

• Daveyboy, Victoria Watcher and Beacon like this

#4008 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,558 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 09:40 AM

^ EXACTLY.

#4009 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 04:37 AM

This article is nearly 150 paragraphs long.

https://www.timescol...ic-dorm-8756900

It neither says where they got the drugs from, nor what manner of ingestion.  That should be in the article.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 May 2024 - 04:37 AM.

#4010 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,558 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 05:54 AM

The federal government has rejected a request from Toronto to decriminalize the possession of small quantities of drugs for personal use after an increasingly bitter public spat over the city’s ask.

On Friday afternoon, Health Canada issued a statement confirming the request had been refused, something the Ontario provincial government asked the federal body to do on Thursday.

Federal Minister of Mental Health and Addiction Ya’ara Saks turned down the bid roughly two years after it was first filed.

“Today, Minister Saks has refused the request, as proposed from Toronto Public Health, to decriminalize personal possession of controlled drugs and substances for people in Toronto,” the statement read.

“She has determined that it does not adequately protect public health and maintain public safety. This includes concerns with feasibility and ability for law enforcement to implement the proposed model, protection of youth, and lack of support from key players including the Province of Ontario.”

https://globalnews.c...quest-rejected/

Federal government rejects Toronto’s drug decriminalization request, Ford asks to pause safe supply programs

https://toronto.city...upply-programs/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 May 2024 - 05:55 AM.

#4011 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 06:28 AM

During the latest question period, PM Trudeau said they would entertain a provincial (province-wide) request, not a city request.

Why isn’t the press speaking to that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4012 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 570 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 09:34 AM

As BC deals for months and probably years with the aftermath of an incredibly stupid drug policy now rescinded, the rest of Canada can hopefully watch and learn.  Junior will always support such stupidity however.

• phx likes this

#4013 todd

todd
  • 12,927 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 12:01 PM

So, when these kids were 17 and living at home still did the parents:
Make easy-to-use nasal naloxone readily available at homes, giving their kids simple instructions on how to use it, and review the emergency medical response rules at home?

I’m a first aid nerd, but I keep one in my home first aid kit and one in my “field kit”(you could operate a small MASH unit with that kit). At this point all first aid kits should have naloxone.

I got my FREE (injectable)naloxone kits at the Douglas Street Shoppers Drug Mart. Just say you’re “likely to witness an overdose”(which we all are if you live in the CRD) they don’t ask for your personal information just some anonymous questions that you can choose to answer honestlyhttps://www2.gov.bc....se/naloxone-kit

IMG_9486.jpeg

IMG_9487.jpeg

I also just like free stuff.
  • Matt R. likes this

#4014 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 04:31 PM

...At this point all first aid kits should have naloxone...

I can't for the life of me think of why I'd want to keep naloxone in my home or on my person.

#4015 todd

todd
  • 12,927 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 04:52 PM

I can't for the life of me think of why I'd want to keep naloxone in my home or on my person.

I apologize, I would never think that you would wittingly consume an illicit substance or even most non-illicit substance ones.

I’m picking up on that you spend a lot of time “downtown”, don’t you want to protect yourself from accidental exposure?

“2 milligrams of pure fentanyl (the size of about 4 grains of salt) is enough to kill the average adult”: https://www.rcmp-grc...hat-is-fentanyl

Maybe somebody spilled 4 grains in the garden bed where are working with the roses, for a theoretical example.

#4016 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 05:09 PM

I spend much less time in downtown Victoria than I used to when I was working, I rarely take public transit and I certainly never walk along the 900 block of Pandora Avenue, so I feel as though my exposure to fentanyl, even accidentally is relatively low. The chances of my encountering it while gardening are less than nil. 

#4017 todd

todd
  • 12,927 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 05:14 PM

I spend much less time in downtown Victoria than I used to when I was working, I rarely take public transit and I certainly never walk along the 900 block of Pandora Avenue, so I feel as though my exposure to fentanyl, even accidentally is relatively low. The chances of my encountering it while gardening are less than nil.

I apologize if this sounds facetious, but is it that you just don’t care otherwise?

#4018 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 05:24 PM

I am not concerned for my own exposure and I feel no sense of responsibility to assist addicts who OD.

• Mike P. likes this

#4019 todd

todd
  • 12,927 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 05:44 PM

I am not concerned for my own exposure and I feel no sense of responsibility to assist addicts who OD.

You got to grease the pearly gates. Had an older lady fall in front of my residence few months back, was too slow to get to her, somebody else stopped their car and helped first. I felt like I lost my chance.
  • Matt R. likes this

#4020 LJ

LJ
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 07:23 PM

I have saved several people from death in my lifetime, drowning, car accident, house fire, heart attack and a seizure. I feel no compunction to rescue an addict that ODs of his own volition.

• Nparker, Victoria Watcher, max.bravo and 1 other like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users