Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3832 replies to this topic

#1201 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:09 AM

That author thinks she's pretty smart but she's definitely no ... wait a minute, she actually is.

#1202 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:39 PM

Seems like pot may be addictive after all. https://www.bnnbloom...study-1.1583717

Teenagers’ addiction rates for cannabis are about the same as for prescription opioids, according to a new study of drugs and youth.

Emily Einstein, one of the study’s authors, said a rise in cannabis’ potency in recent years could help to explain the higher addiction rates. She cited separate studies that have found marijuana with higher levels of THC to be more addictive

CFAX ran an segment years ago with a private addiction treatment centre here in Victoria (I can't remember which one) and cannabis addiction was their largest market.

#1203 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:28 PM

Salvation Army cuts ribbon on Victoria’s new live-in addiction recovery program

Six-month program offered to nine people at once

Apr. 1, 2021

24704775_web1_210331-VNE-Addictions-Reco
The Salvation Army Victoria officially launched its new live-in drug and alcohol recovery program March 31. From left to right: Shelley Gudgeon, Salvation Army Community Council member, Major Sheldon Feener, Addictions and Rehabilitation Centre (ARC) executive director, Jeffrey Baergen, ARC program director, Sarah Potts, Victoria city councillor, and Patricia Mamic, public and government affairs director. 

A new fully-funded live-in addictions recovery program will allow more Victoria men to receive long-term help close to home.

On Wednesday, the Salvation Army officially cut the ribbon on a program that’s been in the works for years – a six-month, nine bed alcohol and drug addictions recovery program.

• LJ and A Girl is No one like this

#1204 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:33 PM

If they can stay off drugs on that neighbourhood then they’ve got it made!

#1205 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:11 PM

Deleted 

Edited by Love the rock, 01 April 2021 - 10:13 PM.

#1206 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:58 AM

Women demand better mental-health service
Teenagers call for improvements at Victoria hospital
  • Times Colonist
  • 8 Apr 2021

PES.png

Ella Hale, left, and Emma Epp created a Facebook group to support their fight for better mental-health treatment. It has 1,800 members.

Ella Hale and Emma Epp aren’t waiting for one of their friends to die.

The two young women, who have struggled with mental health issues since their early teens, created a Facebook group in late February to raise concerns about the way patients are treated at Royal Jubilee Hospital’s Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES).

The group, called PES: A Pathetic Excuse for Support, now has 1,800 members and more than 200 stories from former patients. It attracted the attention of Adam Olsen, MLA for Saanich North and the Islands, who raised the issue of emergency mental health in the legislature.

Hale and Epp have since met with Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson, minister of mental health and addictions, telling them that patients don’t get the care and support they need and are belittled and mocked at PES. People seeking help are often discharged a couple of hours later feeling worse and having experienced more trauma.

More: https://www.timescol...-run-1.24304572

#1207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:13 AM

The only thing worse than the "justice" system in Canada, is our mental health system.

• Dexter and A Girl is No one like this

#1208 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:18 AM

The only thing worse than the "justice" system in Canada, is our mental health system.

My work group benefits plan pays the same annually for counselling/psychology services as it does for acupuncture and other pseudo-science witchcraft.  With a good counsellor it amounts to a couple of sessions a year.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1209 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:21 AM

Ditto.

#1210 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:25 AM

i have to pay out of pocket for all my witchcraft treatments.

• Matt R. likes this

#1211 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:39 AM

Ditto.

I should bill the psych visits to the strata.  They're responsible for most of it.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1212 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:35 AM

No paying out of pocket for the new City of Victoria toll-free "Be Calm" hotline. Trade those counselling sessions for some mediations, children's jokes, or Indigenous stories by calling 1-877-2BE-CALM or visiting https://www.victoria...m-project.html 

#1213 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

There's a "calm" channel in my Telus cable package if I want to waste my time on such things.

#1214 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

There's a "calm" channel in my Telus cable package if I want to waste my time on such things.

YouTube has tons of calm music.

#1215 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:51 AM

Women demand better mental-health service
Teenagers call for improvements at Victoria hospital
  • Times Colonist
  • 8 Apr 2021

Ella Hale, left, and Emma Epp created a Facebook group to support their fight for better mental-health treatment. It has 1,800 members.

Ella Hale and Emma Epp aren’t waiting for one of their friends to die.

The two young women, who have struggled with mental health issues since their early teens, created a Facebook group in late February to raise concerns about the way patients are treated at Royal Jubilee Hospital’s Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES).

The group, called PES: A Pathetic Excuse for Support, now has 1,800 members and more than 200 stories from former patients. It attracted the attention of Adam Olsen, MLA for Saanich North and the Islands, who raised the issue of emergency mental health in the legislature.

Hale and Epp have since met with Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson, minister of mental health and addictions, telling them that patients don’t get the care and support they need and are belittled and mocked at PES. People seeking help are often discharged a couple of hours later feeling worse and having experienced more trauma.

More: https://www.timescol...-run-1.24304572

this is quite difficult.  

but i'm just not sure we can have a walk-in "care for my mental health issues" on-demand service.

i think there has to be more self-help or peer support outside of hospital.  a way to help people help themselves effectively and consistently.

i feel that there might be some type of dependency if the hospital provides the on-demand service consistently.  that seems like an incredibly expensive and inefficient way to help these people.  and at the end is there positive outcomes?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2021 - 11:52 AM.

#1216 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:35 PM

Are cancer patients left to help themselves?

• Greg and sdwright.vic like this

#1217 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:50 PM

Are cancer patients left to help themselves?

that's not really even close to a reasonable analogy though.

i have said in this very space in the past that mental health issues are very difficult.

and what we have here are people with admitted mental health issues commenting on facebook about their own poor treatment - for mental health issues.  it's very possible/probable they do not have the mental capacity or expertise to assess their own appropriate care level or even correctly analyze the quality of their treatment today compared to former visits to the same facility.

“A lot of people in our group say they would rather die than go back to PES. And I really relate to that,” Epp, 19, said in an interview. “I would never go back voluntarily.”

“We don’t want heated towels and a foot massage,” added 18-year-old Hale. “People are dying. People are taking their lives because staff at PES don’t seem to care.”

Hale was in and out of Victoria General Hospital from the age of 14 for suicidal ideation and attempts to take her life.

“I could go into VGH if I was thinking of hurting myself but hadn’t actually done anything yet,” she said. “You would get the help and they would keep you until you felt safe and your family felt safe with having you. They would make a safety plan. It was a wraparound support system.”

There were specific mental health beds for children and youth on a medical floor.

“It wasn’t amazing but the staff was so kind and compassionate. They had mental health nurses and psychiatrists and child-youth counsellors. …

“… and therapy dogs,” added Epp.

“It was a really supportive environment. But then you turn 17 and you go to RJH [Royal Jubilee Hospital] and it’s the complete opposite,” Hale said.

is it reasonable to believe that care changes to "the complete opposite" after someone turns 17?  i submit it likely isn't.

but it is likely not easy to get that across to a group of 1800 people with mental health issues, taking part in a discussion titled "pathetic excuse for support".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2021 - 12:56 PM.

#1218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:51 PM

it's very possible/probably they do not have the mental capacity to assess their own care level.

Which is exactly why they need better access to mental health professionals, not "peer support".

• Greg likes this

#1219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

why do you take it at face value from these young ladies that the care is not appropriate?  what qualifications do they have to even speak to that?

i know the mantra lately is "believe all victims".

but not every victim is right.   and not every system is perfect.   nor can any healthcare system provide 24h 1-on-1 support from a qualified medical professional.  we have to rely on triage and voluntary hospital discharge.  and then some lower level of community support.  

again.  it's difficult.    

quite frankly suicide rates are extremely sharply increasing in young females.  and it might very well be the social media they turn to:

After a downward trend in suicide rates through 2007, suicide among female youth showed the greatest increase.  The suicide rate for youth aged 10–14 declined from 200 (1.5 per 100,000 persons) to 2007 (0.9), and then nearly tripled from 2007 to 2017 (2.5).

https://womensmental...in-young-girls/

As Social Media Time Rises, So Does Teen Girls' Suicide Risk

https://www.usnews.c...ls-suicide-risk

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 April 2021 - 01:08 PM.

#1220 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:16 PM

why do you take it at face value from these young ladies that the care is not appropriate?  what qualifications do they have to even speak to that?...

It's not that I believe or disbelieve the "young ladies"; it's that I have first hand knowledge of the inadequacies of our mental health system.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users