The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#721 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:35 PM

I feel exactly the same way. I didn't care for the Bow when it was on its own. Wow, who knew a bunch of different buildings could interrelate and play off one another to create a... what should I call it? Cityscape? Something like that.

#722 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:16 PM

View of YoY, and the new Tap House patio.  Not sure how late that'll stay open until, and while I normally like bar patios, I can see it being a gong show for the Rocket Residence residents and the street life in the area will make it interesting IF its open past 9.  

50052786766_9e3843d1ce_c.jpg

New Deck - Yates Street Taphouse by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Also a view of Era, a building I forgot to include in my list of good buildings.  Just a really solid building that will age well, and no grey panels!  Look how much better grey looks painted on concrete.. 

50052209103_00fdc4e918_c.jpg

Yates Street Tap House Deck - Era Condo by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

• Brantastic likes this

#723 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

Even if Era had used panels for those grey sections it still could have been fine, or even better. I don't have any problem with panels themselves or with the colour grey itself. My beef is with excessively uniform coverage*, especially when the panels chosen are bland and lacking any distinction.

*We should note, there's a flip side to this issue. It's the multi-coloured jumble of different panels. I feel like that approach is merely the other end of the extreme. You said you didn't want uniform bland coverage? Okay, so we threw every colour in there. You should be happy now, right? Come on, it's the same excessive use. The jumble of colours is just a token gesture.

• Nparker likes this

#724 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

Vivid getting close to YoY height
20200702_201457.jpg

Much of the scaffolding has been removed from the podium levels.
20200706_210238.jpg
20200707_202928.jpg

#725 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:31 PM

That yellow brick is truly nasty.
  • Brantastic likes this

#726 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:34 PM

But to be fair, the massing is quite good, even if the aesthetics fall a bit short.

#727 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:59 PM

Nasty good or nasty not good? Come on, what's wrong with the yellow brick? It's a wee bit of "look at me", which is better than "don't notice me" (especially when "don't notice me" backfires, as per the topmost tower levels).

Why should architects bother to go out of their way to satisfy the critics on this forum about every imaginable detail* if we end up complaining all the same?

*wishful thinking

#728 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:07 PM

Nasty good or nasty not good? Come on, what's wrong with the yellow brick?

Nasty as in  :squint:  Even Elton John said goodbye to yellow brick.

#729 UserofVic

UserofVic
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

I for one like the semi sandstone colour of the yellow like section

• aastra likes this

#730 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

I wouldn't mind the yellow brick on a building of its own but find it looks jarring next to the pristine white panels above and the beige brick on the sides (not seen in the picture). The bland grey panels on the top levels is the worst part though. I actually do really think the podium is nice and the ground level will be good when complete (and the ground level is arguably the most important part of a building to get right).

• aastra and Nparker like this

#731 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:28 PM

It's like they wanted a non-controversial design to get approval so they lifted parts from other successful towers. 

#732 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

Virtual tour of Unit 402 - https://my.matterpor...rR1Q8JtnbRjqg==

1,097 square foot, 2 bedroom plus den. $779,900 (and 5% off that apparently).

Man, the bedrooms look small. A couple weird notches in a couple rooms where concrete columns are. Not sure I would like having my couch along the windows and looking towards my kitchen sink with the TV on the wall. 

#733 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:57 PM

Virtual tour of Unit 402 - https://my.matterpor...rR1Q8JtnbRjqg==

1,097 square foot, 2 bedroom plus den. $779,900 (and 5% off that apparently).

Man, the bedrooms look small. A couple weird notches in a couple rooms where concrete columns are. Not sure I would like having my couch along the windows and looking towards my kitchen sink with the TV on the wall. 

Squeezing in the +den and all the entrance/hallway square footage do make the rest of the condo look small for its size. Seems like the typical YoY floor plan has the fridge separate from the kitchen counters which will make the kitchen area bigger but of course take away living space room. 

Edited by Casual Kev, 15 July 2020 - 01:57 PM.

#734 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,036 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:15 PM

they should just have little fridges all over the condo. in bedroom night table drawers. in the bathroom. in the living room lazy boy arms. all they have to do is circulate some cold air through those cavities in a closed loop 1/4-inch hose.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2020 - 02:17 PM.

#735 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

^I am in possession of a pair of bedside drawers, one of the smaller drawers is lined with tin on all sides and the door snaps shut so it acts like a thermos for keeping things cool. Smaller than a shoebox.

I got them from a light-fingered former Royal Roads cadet who borrowed them in the 1960s.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#736 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

Maybe it would be simpler to construct highrise buildings as gigantic refrigerators? And then wall off and heat the areas where food isn't stored?

• Rob Randall, Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#737 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

Maybe it would be simpler to construct highrise buildings as gigantic refrigerators? And then wall off and heat the areas where food isn't stored?

I'd live there.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#738 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,036 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

probably. because you do not need to heat the areas when you are not home or the 11 months a year you are an absentee owner. but you need to keep the meat and peas frozen or they will go bad.

imagine the smell if all the meat and peas went bad in yates on yates at once. it would overpower 844 johnson and create a need for yet another wraparound support.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 July 2020 - 02:36 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#739 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:53 PM

Dude, that's cold.

But you raise an interesting question: if the entire building is refrigerated, should you turn up the heat when you're away in order to save energy?

The other issue would be building security. The main entrance would need to be kept open all night just to keep the lights on.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#740 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,036 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

it’s all about average temperatures and atmospheric normals. you put enough ball bearings to work in the lower floors and you’ll probably hit the equilibrium. too few and. well i’d rather not say.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users