The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#701 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:46 PM

...maybe there will be a clash between the grey panel explosion and the seafoam spandrel sea

Can't say I ever really got into that maritime folk music.

#702 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:49 PM

The colour scheme I can live with, there's nothing inherently wrong with a monochomatic design. It's the flatness of the side elevations that is bothersome to me. The large grey stone buildings of the past look good because the stone has visual texture, the windows are recessed in "punched" openings, there are architectural details and cornices that really mark where the building steps back.

For sure. That flatness is the "unfinished drywall" effect that I was talking about. Methinks the untextured monochromatic approach is taking a huge chance when it plays with the drabbest greys and browns. A while back I suggested the CFB firehall might look cool standing on one end as a tower. Plenty of plain panels, but a striking colour and gloss. Jukebox benefits massively from the look-at-me orange panels. If it was nothing but flat grey it wouldn't be good at all.

#703 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:10 PM

I just found this building at random but check it out. Plenty of un-extraordinary dark grey, but the lighter silvery panels look great to my eye and the top levels have some vertical texture

#704 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:26 PM

Anyway, these things aren't going to cause anyone (other than maybe zoomer) to lose sleep at night. Encore, Tapestry, Yates on Yates... they're all fine. Welcome to the family. I just feel like they all missed the mark when they could have easily been great. But that's kids today...

• Nparker likes this

#705 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

If the panels don't have any gloss or grain then they won't change character much at all when the light and weather changes or when viewed from different angles. This is obviously something that abundant glazing does very well. It changes dramatically throughout the day and on different days. Also, plain panels don't age in a manner that has any potential to be particularly pleasing, like old brick or stone does. They just get old and faded and grubby and need to be replaced.

#706 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:20 PM

Yah, I’m exhausted lately, three hours sleep per night with all the crap going up.

My profile pic is of me taking Azyre down for the count.. think I need to put Chard under the other arm.

K, why do developers and the city feel this mediocre crap is all Victoria is worthy of? Condo prices are likely 3rd highest in the country but we’re getting bush league buildings. Even Edmonton and Calgary are getting better designs and selling them for less. At yet this is relatively recent, sure we were never at Vancouver or Toronto standards, but Shoal Point, The Reefer, The Falls, Shutters, Belvedere, Astoria, The Aastra, Aria, and the Ariana Grande are all really good buildings... not built recently.

I used to love Chard (the man) and all he brought to Victoria, now I feel he’s just mocking the city. Yes, we can only hope the abandoned buildings all around YoY get redeveloped as that block is looking like shi*! Add another abandoned building to the mix, the Starbucks on the corner ain’t coming back. Let’s not forget Mings. Maybe time to redevelop that Starbucks building, the former BCAA and the provincial government offices into something special. And what about that parking lot inbehind.. why the hel* is that still sitting empty? Gotta feel for the Wave owners.. non-stop construction for years! Finally why is there still a giant empty lot across from the library in behind Fort street? Am I rambling.. yes, lack of sleep it seems.

Edited by zoomer, 26 June 2020 - 06:22 PM.

• Nparker and Promontory Kingpin like this

#707 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:22 PM

If the panels don't have any gloss or grain then they won't change character much at all when the light and weather changes or when viewed from different angles. This is obviously something that abundant glazing does very well. It changes dramatically throughout the day and on different days. Also, plain panels don't age in a manner that has any potential to be particularly pleasing, like old brick or stone does. They just get old and faded and grubby and need to be replaced.

Exactly.. will be an eyesore.. faded with a dull white bloom. Bring back painted concrete.

#708 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,875 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:37 PM

...why do developers and the city feel this mediocre crap is all Victoria is worthy of...

Based upon the recent and ongoing actions of both our civic and provincial governments when it comes to the CoV, I'd be surprised if future development even meets the mediocre standards of YoY and Vivid.

#709 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,633 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:38 PM

Wait, hold on. The Blan/Fort starbucks isn’t coming back?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#710 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:40 PM

Mike K. always has trouble keeping up.

• Matt R. likes this

#711 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:40 PM

...Shoal Point, The Reefer, The Falls, Shutters, Belvedere, Astoria, The Aastra, Aria, and the Ariana Grande are all really good buildings..

The west tower at the Holden is also pretty good.

• zoomer and Matt R. like this

#712 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:42 PM

Correct, employees have been redeployed to other Starbucks locations. Makes sense as that location also had to deal with a lot of social issues so to speak.

No wait! I mean the Starbucks at Quadra and Yates! Fort and Blanshard just got a shiny new reno and has nitro brewed coffee now. No seating though.. at least for now. Not a lot of room if they decide to add bank in the window seating, and the prep area behind strangely goes flush up to the window at Fort street.

Edited by zoomer, 26 June 2020 - 06:47 PM.

#713 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:44 PM

Are you talking Blanshard & Fort or Yates & Quadra?

• zoomer likes this

#714 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:48 PM

That being said Discovery Coffee is still number one in town, and they have the best mocha.

#715 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

First I'm thinking "what the hell is this guy talking about, redeveloping the Starbucks building at Fort & Blanshard?"

And then I'm thinking "crap, do I owe Mike K. an apology for saying he always has trouble keeping up?"

Fortunately it all worked out.

• zoomer likes this

#716 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,633 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:54 PM

Oops, I meant Yates and Quadra but wrote Blanshard and Fort.

Apology accepted, aastra.

Zoomer, when was the announcement made about the Yates Starbucks?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#717 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

Don’t believe it has been officially announced but was told to me by an employee now working at another location. Also that location was closed on a couple of occasions, once for several days last year because of major sewage backup issues, perhaps an ongoing problem, or the landlords were slow to deal with it. Rumour has it that they left the location beside Eddie Bauer where Running Room is now because the water pressure was too low for their machines and the landlord (Public Works) refused to spend the money to upgrade it. Was a busy location, which then sat empty for a couple years.

Edited by zoomer, 26 June 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#718 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:22 PM

FYI: I've seen you (zoomer) at skyscraperpage.com handing Calgary compliments for the trio of new office towers. And I agree with you, those towers look great together and they've totally changed my tune re: Calgary's overall skyline. It was very generic before, but those three prominent buildings are sharp and they're also very different from one another. They bring everything else up. Which I guess proves many Victorians wrong re: the notion that it's impossible for a few more modern towers to enhance the distinctiveness of a city's built form.

Although I suppose we could say Hudson Place One has done something of the same in Victoria's case, but as of right now it's just a one-off. I'm looking at you, HP2 and the Gateway Green site.

#719 aastra

aastra
  • 20,779 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:28 PM

Which I guess proves many Victorians wrong re: the notion that it's impossible for a few more modern towers to enhance the distinctiveness of a city's built form.

In Victoria's case this has been a self-fulfilling axiom for the most part. HP1 was allowed to call the bluff, but very few other buildings have been given the opportunity.

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#720 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

Good point, I used to dislike Calgary’s skyline, too many twins (ahem), generic American mid-west vibe with a plethora of depressed looking red and sand toned buildings. Funny how they used to brag about their skyline, when it reality it was as bad as the street vibe. But then came the Bow, which I wasn’t sold on because it was just too big (maybe like HP1) but now with Telus Sky and Brookfield - dang..the best trio in Canada and it elevates the whole sha-bang to another level.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users