BUILT
The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: 122 (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca      Official website: yatesonyates.com
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
942 replies to this topic

#941 KdogK

KdogK
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:34 PM

therbuns, on 13 Mar 2021 - 8:37 PM, said:snapback.png

Man, I was so excited about the design of this building when it was first revealed. It reminded me of the terraced designs of art deco buildings. Sadly, the finished product of both towers is really aesthetically disappointing. First, the aligned stone cladding at its base it not a good look, and all the slight alignment flaws are only accentuated by the choice of stone, which is extremely porous and shows moisture absorption almost constantly. Then, going up the tower, the yellow-cream brick they chose clashes both with the gray stone, and the white panelling above, bringing out too much of the yellow hue, and making it stand out in an ugly way. Finally, the smaller windows on the upper floors make the building look squeezed and prison-like, and it doesn't help that it's topped with the most dull, textureless gray cladding possible.  

Ultimately this building, to me, is both dull and exremely clashy/busy at the same time. 

Yes, it is a new low for a city that prides itself with some of the nicest architecture in Western Canada: namely the Empress & Legislative Building.

I think they look great! I also believe they designed these 2 buildings to fit in with the future buildings that will erect around them.. They stand out now but will be well respected as the neighbourhood grows around them. Nice job!!

#942 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:18 AM

Chard has formally requested a relaxation of the mid-block walkway SRW. Sounds like they want the ability to restrict access via security gates until the City is able to secure a legal right-of-way on the neighbouring property (836 Yates) as originally intended.

Letter from Chard here: https://tender.victo...721155234030057

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#943 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,266 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 06:42 PM

They already tried to mix the walkway and were turned down. The city really needs to start enforcing and ticketing offenses when there is non-compliance on a SRW. The one across the street is brutal.
  • Brantastic likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Brantastic