Floyd's Diner locations in Victoria | City of Victoria | Langford | Saanich

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:17 AM

^Classy. You're a credit to your species.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:57 AM

For a new restaurant, I wasnt very impressed with their decor. The bench seats were ripped and old, the tables and chairs in need of some good repair, the paint on the wall is thin and already needs a good wash and another coat of paint. Ive worked in many a restaurant and I know of the kind of wear and tear a restaurant takes, and I dont see this restaurant being able to handle the traffic without completely needing a makeover in the next year or so.

Its like the owners of the restaurant had absolutely no budget for the interior, and in the end its going to cost them quite a bit to replace everything or have it repaired. I wouldnt be suprized if this place will have to close for renos someday this year.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

I think that decor was kind of on purpose because it looks well used.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:15 PM

I think that decor was kind of on purpose because it looks well used.

Yup, the owner knows what he is doing (making lots of money).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

If we're talking about Sopranos, I've only been there once and didn't stay. Straw on the floor and peanut shells? It looked like a hole I didn't want to stay in -- especially when there are so many nice places in town. Shark Club was pretty decent.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

If we're talking about Sopranos, I've only been there once and didn't stay. Straw on the floor and peanut shells? It looked like a hole I didn't want to stay in -- especially when there are so many nice places in town. Shark Club was pretty decent.

Hey, we are proud of that hole. Second-cheapest drink prices in Victoria, and the lowest food prices of ANYWHERE in Victoria. You should check the online CRD Health ratings for places you really want to avoid.

Hey, and it's a nightclub first and foremost. One of only two nightclubs in Victoria that can even open in the day. Most clubs are so beat up every night that you don't want to see them in regular light, so they stay closed until dark.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hey, one more thing. If the reply is "well, you would do even better if you fixed the place up a bit" I'm not sure that is true. We outgross the local Shark Club by almost 30% (even with Soprano's drink prices all 17-32% lower than Shark), and their food-to-alcohol share is much higher than Soprano's, thus they make less profit on the equivalent gross sales.

#28 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:15 PM

What I don't understand about Floyd's is that it's closed in the evening. It's a diner. Can't they serve diner food at night? Only in Victoria...

(that said, I've been there three times, and enjoyed it. I live nearby, and there are always lineups on the weekend).

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

What I don't understand about Floyd's is that it's closed in the evening. It's a diner. Can't they serve diner food at night? Only in Victoria...

(that said, I've been there three times, and enjoyed it. I live nearby, and there are always lineups on the weekend).

Staff is hard to come by (especially cooks), maybe they don't feel they can staff it at evening hours.

#30 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

What's the cost of a pint of pale ale at Soprano's? And where's the HDTV? How did the Floyd's waitress topless body paint thing go?

I had a pretty good meal at Shark Club and it was comfortable. I had a TV with at the table and watched nearly an entire CFL game there with friends sharing drinks and conversation. My thought was that it was a near ideal sports bar.

I didn't get that same impression at Sopranos. I'm obviously not your target customer and I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons Sopranos is doing well. Perhaps I need to visit again and spend some time there because I did make a judgment on appearance and atmosphere and one glass of Canadian.

#31 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:44 PM

Hey VicHockeyFan, what's your affiliation with Soprano's? You said "we..." in a previous post. Just curious.

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:06 AM

Anyone here study formal analogies in college?

VicHockeyFan : Soprano's :: Tony Soprano : Bada Bing.

Something like that.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#33 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

Here..

Check out the local reviews..

http://www.clubzone.... ... y=positive

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hey VicHockeyFan, what's your affiliation with Soprano's? You said "we..." in a previous post. Just curious.

I've organized a few sports trips for them in the past.

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

I went to Floyd's for breaky this morning; not too long of a wait and my eggs benny was tasty, especially the bucket-load of real hollandaise. Service was fine, too.

But I found the atmosphere somewhat lacking. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be funky, but I found the place looking shabby and cluttered. And not funky cluttered like John's Place but cluttered like a teenager's bedroom. Now, I'm not that fussy and I'm not expecting the Four Seasons but neither am I expecting a place that looks like a budget youth hostel lounge.

Now that I'm all worked up, I'll continue to rant:

I think it's been a year since I've had a server in a restaurant actually remember what I ordered, even if I'm dining with only one other person. It's always, "Now, who's having the special? You? No? You?" Now servers, listen up. When you're standing at the head of a table, the person on your left is "seat #1" continuing clockwise around the table. Take the women's orders first and write them in the corresponding line on your little pad of paper. Then take the men's orders and fill in the rest of the spaces. Put your order in to the kitchen and when they're done, take the meals out to the corresponding seat. No need to memorize. It works even if the meals come don't come out at the same time or if someone else is running the food.

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:11 PM

Totally agree about Floyd's, West.
Nice enough food and service but the decor is lacking; and not to the point of being funky or cool. I'm all for a mish-mash of tables and chairs, but when it includes lawn furniture and busted tables, this crosses the line.

#37 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:10 PM

I mentioned the bad decor earlier in this thread, and at the time everyone disagreed with me about it. I thought it was horrible.. glad to hear that others think the same.

If I'm going to pay full price for a breaky, I want nice decor. If the breakfast is maybe $4 I could understand why the decor is lacking, but for a restaurant like Floyd's who charges the prices they do, you would expect it to be a little nicer inside.

#38 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:09 PM

^Only just went myself a about a month ago.

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

Easy what you say about servers there! :) I love Floyd's andthe ramshackle decor is part of the fun. This is the same guy that used to own Cup of Joe's in James Bay and it was the same ramshakle style. Anyways the food kicks the butt off any other breakfast place by far.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#40 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:18 PM

But the ramshackle style worked at Cup o Joe's because it had been there for years. I don't think starting a new restaurant with furniture that is tired and old is a great idea, because it's already in need of repair or replacement.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users