BUILT
The Haro
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 5120-5144 Cordova Bay Road
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Haro is a mixed-used residential and retail community situated along the 5100-block of Cordova Bay Road in... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Haro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] 5120-5144 Cordova Bay Road | Condos; commercial | 4, 4 and 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:36 AM

Thing is concrete is probably the biggest quality factor. Does anyone know what the difference in cost is between wood and concrete?

They just started sales.

Is this a method of Socratic inquiry or are you legitimately asking what the cost difference between wood and concrete is because you don't know?  Because if the latter, "Yikes!" for your clients!

#122 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:29 AM

I assumed he was getting philosophical. "Does anyone know the difference between wood and concrete?" Aspiring VV forumers should be warned: it's a one-way trip. You can never go back to how you were before.

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

At-present the face value is $75-$100 more per square foot, on average, but with the labour situation being as it is those costs can vary by quite a margin.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:57 PM

Sorry meant construction costs concrete vs wood.

But it terms of real estate sales there isn't a huge difference. In Victoria buyers pay a small premium for concrete from my personal observations; therefore, likely the reason a development is a great location like this would still be going wood-framed. They figure they can't get their money back if they go concrete.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:05 PM

You know, it’s funny. Concrete doesn’t seem to be in vogue here for higher end product like it is elsewhere. In some markets projects of this caliber wouldn’t dare proceed as a woodframe.

The issue here could possibly be a case of not having access to sufficient framers? Concrete crews are in huge demand right now and they’re locked in to existing projects. Securing framers will come with quite a premium and that premium must be over the top.

Construction costs have risen 40% over the last 18 months.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#126 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 06:37 AM

https://www.timescol...nich-1.23524025

They have been working on this site for months now.

#127 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:01 AM

Sorry meant construction costs concrete vs wood.

That is a really difficult question to answer right now as lumber prices shot way up a year ago and basically doubled between 2016 and 2017, but are now on their way back down

A rough answer would be around 15-20% in a 4 storey condo project.  But its not just the actual concrete vs wood, there are additional costs for other trades such as electrical that must us BX instead of lumex because walls are steel stud vs wood, the plumber has to "can" (construction term to sleeve concrete) for their piping, etc, etc

#128 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

Have we seen these large images before?

https://theharo.com/buildings/

https://theharo.com/...-1-gradient.jpg

https://theharo.com/...uilding-1-1.jpg

https://theharo.com/...uilding-3-1.jpg

https://theharo.com/...uilding-2-1.jpg

https://theharo.com/...PARKING-LOT.jpg

#129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

Have we seen these large images before?...

Those look nice, but I am not sure they can compare to the ambience of the site as it is today.

Cordova Bay @ Doumac.JPG

• Kilo95 likes this

#130 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

The views will sure be ruined once they plant all of those view-blocking trees....

• Nparker likes this

#131 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

Those look nice, but I am not sure they can compare to the ambience of the site as it is today.

Not as flat as the satellite view, though not a whole lot going on other than digging and shoring up some walls for what I assume will be the parkade. 

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

#132 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

Have been hearing some rumblings that this project may be on hold indefinitely due to the discovery that the excavated (and dumped) soil is contaminated with fuel and other chemicals from the gas station that occupied the site before the grocery store and plaza. According to someone on Reddit the project may be having financial difficulties. I'm sure the NIMBYs that voted against this project and were trying to take legal action against the district are silently celebrating. Does our realtor friend on here have any more info on the status of this development? 

#133 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

Have been hearing some rumblings that this project may be on hold indefinitely due to the discovery that the excavated (and dumped) soil is contaminated with fuel and other chemicals from the gas station that occupied the site before the grocery store and plaza. According to someone on Reddit the project may be having financial difficulties. I'm sure the NIMBYs that voted against this project and were trying to take legal action against the district are silently celebrating. Does our realtor friend on here have any more info on the status of this development? 

They just reported a pre-sale unit sale today so highly unlikely that it is on hold.

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

It’s a silly rumour.

Prior to any development activity, even prior to pursuing approvals, extensive soil testing is conducted to assess the status of the land. A discovery as described on reddit is literally unheard of given the professionalism of our local geotechnical firms.

Know it all.

#135 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:42 AM

I am pretty sure everyone has been well aware that there is significant contamination there. I mean the reason that there is nothing there now is due to the contamination. When i worked near there in the early 2000s it was well known that the entire area was polluted.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:11 AM

It’s not something to sideline a project, though. There are folks saying the project won’t go ahead because of contamination and low sales. That’s simply not true. Once The Row completes on Johnson the crews are moving over to Caddy Bay.

Know it all.

#137 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

And hopefully have a coffee at Starbucks and then drive to Cordova Bay.

I completely agree BTW I was just saying that everyone knew about the contamination here.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:11 AM

Oops, Cordova Bay I meant. Thanks for that.

Know it all.

#139 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:14 PM

Keep in mind the developers are also completing the project on Short Street as well. That one should be done in approx Feb/March.

#140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:10 PM

The opportunity to purchase ground floor retail/medical space within a 91 unit condominium lifestyle development in Cordova Bay. With over 35,000 sq. ft. of retail/office space in 3 separate buildings, The Haro development is well suited to businesses providing a variety of services to time-pressed busy families, and retired and empty nesters alike. (23718367)

https://www.realtor....ich-cordova-bay

$1,090,000

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 February 2021 - 02:10 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users