Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#321 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

I like this a lot. It's almost like two buildings for the price of one. Even the crankiest internet critic would have to admit they've gone to great lengths to differentiate the two sections. The only way you could do more would be to vary the heights and the heights of the levels.

I also like how we aren't betting the entire farm on that rusted cladding. Even if it ends up looking great I'm still inclined to think less would be more.

So what would the white stuff be?

#322 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

I don't know how much of the change is from suggestions and how much due to the weathered steel trade tariff--probably both. It still has something of a loft/warehouse feel which is the most important. Industrial fixtures on the ground floor will help reinforce this and differentiate this building from the more delicate Old Town and the glitzier newer areas of Downtown. 

#323 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

It is way nicer looking than the newest Johnson st gateway proposal.  Man I hate that proposal

• Nparker and jonny like this

#324 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

^Yeah, I think that one made one to many trips through the meat grinder.

• jonny likes this

#325 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

Doesn't really evoke "iron works" though does it?

I disagree vehemently almost to the point of wanting to reach through my monitor to smack you. Well, maybe not quite that strongly, but I'd say it does have a lot of the ruggedness of the original, which is great. The conceptual validity of a residential project's name should be a major concern*, no doubt. But I also think there's a fair bit of room for interpretation there.

*not really

Industrial fixtures on the ground floor will help reinforce this and differentiate this building from the more delicate Old Town and the glitzier newer areas of Downtown.

Yeah, I like how it seems to belong to the same extended family as Mermaid Wharf, but without just being more of the same. Crikey, maybe those Chatham/Discovery/Pembroke blocks have found their architectural direction? That could end up being a terrific little district.

• jonny likes this

#326 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:22 PM

So... does this mean the process can actually work? Endless iterations aren't necessarily and inevitably a waste of time and don't necessarily and inevitably take a development in the wrong direction? I might need to revisit everything that I've ever posted on the matter.

#327 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

...reasoning was already approved...

This is VV, man. Reasoning was approved from day one.

Not always employed, but most definitely approved.

• Mike K. likes this

#328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,900 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

I disagree vehemently almost to the point of wanting to reach through my monitor to smack you. ...

You are of course welcome to your opinion (as am I), but perhaps you might want to check your meds if my innocuous comment got you that fired up.

#329 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

Dude, I said "almost". If we don't have the freedom to be be utterly incensed by innocuous comments that we read on message boards then what freedom do we really have?

#330 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:46 PM

Doesn't really evoke "iron works" though does it?

We could compromise and call it "Half Ironworks". Might go over well with the jogging set.

#331 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

Maybe we split the building into two names, Iron Man (the iron side) and the Iron Lady (the White Part). Out front of each would we the corresponding statues of Simon Whitfield and Margaret Thatcher.

Anyways this is 234 times better than the last proposal, so at least I will no longer lose sleep over this one.

#332 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,668 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:57 PM

I like this. Much better than the previous renderings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#333 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:07 PM

People will not be able to see part of the historic Capital Iron building from Government Street, and the word IRON has already been taken.

Morris Greene would be rolling over in his grave.

I like the name Scrapyard View.

#334 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

...at least I will no longer lose sleep over this one.

I actually expect to sleep 30 minutes more per day because of this project. That's how much I like it. Give me a few more projects like this one and eventually I won't even be bothering to get out of bed. Heck, I might end up becoming the first VV forumer in history to post a message while not being perfectly clean shaven and dressed in suit and tie.

• G-Man, Rob Randall and Bingo like this

#335 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

I actually expect to sleep 30 minutes more per day because of this project. That's how much I like it. Give me a few more projects like this one and eventually I won't even be bothering to get out of bed. Heck, I might end up becoming the first VV forumer in history to post a message while not being perfectly clean shaven and dressed in suit and tie.

That's really funny.   :cheers:

#336 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:25 PM

You could end up like Hugh Hefner, in a robe - wistfully overlooking downtown Victoria from your Hudson penthouse.. cigar in one hand and a scotch in the other.

#337 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

Maybe we split the building into two names, Iron Man (the iron side) and the Iron Lady (the White Part). Out front of each would we the corresponding statues of Simon Whitfield and Margaret Thatcher.

For simplicity maybe just call it #10 Robert Downey Jr. Street?

• zoomer likes this

#338 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,811 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

This new version looks great. I think Christine Lintott is the architect on this. I was feeling bad for her in the last iteration that was just a mish mash of all the comments from City Hall but this is pretty much what I was asking for from day one. Less iron more ground floor focus. I think I may even love this proposal now. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#339 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:04 AM

Les iron...

Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.

Is Les Iron related to Les Wynan?

(I pity the fool who doesn't get these classic Simpsons references.)

• G-Man likes this

#340 aastra

aastra
  • 20,792 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:10 AM

I think I may even love this proposal now.

When you consider how we're all just a bunch of skyscraper fanboys playing the stooge for big developers, it's interesting that this small lowrise project is such a hit with so many of us. Seriously, this one has been on my mind almost non-stop since yesterday. Not a tall project, not a big project, not a fancy project... but I can't wait. I wish it was finished and occupied right now.

• G-Man likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users