Westbay Quay
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Head Street at Lyall Street
Municipality: Esquimalt
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, live-work)
Sales status: now selling
Westbay Quay is a 73-suite, two and six-storey all-concrete condominium project with a ground floor retail com... (view full profile)
Learn more about Westbay Quay on Citified.ca      Official website: https://goo.gl/B6m5KA
Photo

[Esquimalt] Westbay Quay | Condos, commercial | 6-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#1 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

An ambitious project is about to get underway in West Bay.

Residents in the West Bay area of Esquimalt have been waiting a long time for a development to coalesce around the “gem of a location,” ...It’s in the form of a six-storey residential and commercial project bounded by Head, Lyall and Gore streets, expected to have shovels in the ground come fall, said developer Mark Lindholm, owner of the nearby Westbay Marina. Estimated cost is about $22 million, he said...

Today:

triangle - today.JPG

triangle - today2.JPG

Proposed:

the-triangle-jpg.jpg  triangle3.jpg

A second phase is planned for here.

phase 2.JPG

http://www.timescolo...ation-1.9714266

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#2 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

Thanks NParker!

• Nparker likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#3 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:00 AM

We have many good memories of staying at Westbay RV park in our camper van, walking down to Spinnakers or into downtown for dinner.  Always thought it would be a good spot for condos or some kind of development. 

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

We have many good memories of staying at Westbay...Always thought it would be a good spot for condos or some kind of development. 

It will be nice to eventually see the asphalt removed from the marina area, that's for sure. Although it seems to be a CRD design aesthetic, there's not a much poorer use for waterfront lands than parking lots.  :whyme:

#5 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

6 floors is too short for this location but i guess its a start

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

6 floors is too short for this location but i guess its a start

The original proposal was for 10 floors, but the pitchfork and torch brigade took care of that "pdq". I suspect the developer was smart and asked for more than he really wanted and ended up with the 6-floor building he envisioned all along; a strategy more developers need to employ to thwart the local anti-height/NIMBY crowd.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

Interesting. I thought it was the Wade guys (Price and Tomaszewski) who were involved with this project?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

The planning website at http://www.westbaytriangle.ca/ says seven-storeys?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

You've updated "my" thread title Mike, but I am pretty sure it's "West Bay", not Westbank"  ;)

#10 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

The original proposal was for 10 floors, but the pitchfork and torch brigade took care of that "pdq". I suspect the developer was smart and asked for more than he really wanted and ended up with the 6-floor building he envisioned all along; a strategy more developers need to employ to thwart the local anti-height/NIMBY crowd.

Chuckled at "pitchfork and torch brigade". That does seem like a smart tactic to use, much like in negotiations or on Craigslist.

I went through the project website, and liked the presentation there. Very good initiative to put forward the thinking behind the project, and design considerations.

Edited by grantpalin, 06 February 2017 - 12:14 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#11 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

Great news; right now that area is, um, (way) underbuilt and underserved which is putting it charitably. Ventured down to the old-new-ex? Princess Mary restaurant last summer and was decidedly underwhelmed with what is there now so this proposal looks like a massive improvement.

• Nparker likes this

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Great news; right now that area is, um, (way) underbuilt and underserved which is putting it charitably. Ventured down to the old-new-ex?

Princess Mary restaurant last summer and was decidedly underwhelmed with what is there now so this proposal looks like a massive improvement.

A great improvement, and soon to be a cycling destination once the new bike lanes are installed on Lyall Street.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

I've made the point before that Victorians tend to be very reluctant to follow Victoria's own example. If Victoria is such a nice place and so unique (as everyone likes to claim) then why can't Victoria ever serve as its own example re: the right way to do something? Why does inspiration always have to come from other places?

Check out the "Our Experience" section of their website and explore their inspiration:
http://www.westbaytr.../our-experience

"Define a fresh solution. Ensure that neighbours and the Township of Esquimalt alike feel that the proposed solution fits in the Westbay neighbourhood..."

Hmmm. So you search far and wide to find something that fits the local environment? Does this mean there's a deficiency of local examples that fit the local environment?

Edited by aastra, 06 February 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

There's nothing wrong with looking far and wide, of course. I'm just wondering why local inspiration tends to be off the table by default. This is the umpteenth time that we've seen this sort of thing. You're more likely to see images of Victoria in a planning document from another city than you are in a planning document from Victoria itself.

• Nparker likes this

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

There's nothing wrong with looking far and wide, of course. I'm just wondering why local inspiration tends to be off the table by default.

This is the umpteenth time that we've seen this sort of thing. You're more likely to see images of Victoria in a planning document from another city than you are in a planning document from Victoria itself.

My inspiration would be to redesign everything that is planned for the "Triangle", to fit within the space taken up by the parking lot and that small section of Head Street.

Waterfront is too valuable to be used as a parking lot, so move all of that stuff over to the triangle space.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#16 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

My inspiration would be to redesign everything that is planned for the "Triangle", to fit within the space taken up by the parking lot and that small section of Head Street.

Waterfront is too valuable to be used as a parking lot, so move all of that stuff over to the triangle space.

Times Colonist article says that the developer has submitted a rezoning application for those waterfront parcels: five-storey building containing 12 condos and 3 commercial units.

The second phase of the West Bay Marina revamp was recently submitted to Esquimalt planning department — a rezoning application for 460 and 464 Head St.

The phase two plan involves 12 large, high-end water-view condos in a five-storey building, replacing a private parking lot and an undeveloped vacant lot, Lindholm said. It’s expected to face a lengthy rezoning process with the municipality.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.El0zPDRf.dpuf

• Bingo likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

The marketing for Westbay Quay starts this week.

The project consists of 85 condominium units and a commercial component between three buildings dubbed Sapphire, Lapis and Topaz.

Citified profile: http://victoria.citi...s/westbay-quay/

Westbay-Quay-4.jpg

Westbay-Quay-5.jpg

Westbay-Quay-1.jpg

Westbay-Quay-2.jpg

Westbay-Quay-3.jpg

Westbay-Quay-6.jpg

• Nparker and thundergun like this

Know it all.

#18 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

The website for this esquimalt project says "Victoria's Oceanside neighbourhood". Nparker is gonna have a heart attack

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

That looks terrific. Esquimaltonians should be proud of it. Methinks it's a great example of how a development can be broken up to look and feel more like a cluster of smaller buildings instead of one big unified building. The different heights and forms at each corner work really well. Dr. aastra might have suggested some variation on the cladding or colours here or there, but then I'm not really a doctor, I just play one on the internet.

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

The website for this esquimalt project says "Victoria's Oceanside neighbourhood". Nparker is gonna have a heart attack

It's just more proof that the region is already amalgamated in all but the legal/cost-sharing sense. Every muni outside of the CoV wants to use the name Victoria because it has marketable value, but they don't want to take any of the responsibility for what being part of Victoria really means.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users