Victoria population discussion | Census data | CRD projections

• Please log in to reply
1193 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

For all those that get a twinkle in their eye when looking at the statscan site I have decided to start a Victoria Population discussion thread.

To start things off here is an interesting graph on Canadian City growth and where it comes from. It turns out that everyone is from Alberta and Ontario (or at least other canadian provinces) in Victoria.

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

It turns out that everyone is from Alberta and Ontario (or at least other canadian provinces) in Victoria.

Meaning most of Victoria's rather miniscule population growth is due to interprovincial migration?

At a glance I can't figure that chart out, so somebody please explain it to me.

Here's a good PDF showing exactly where in Victoria the population growth (and population decline) is happening. The suburbs are growing, but the sheer number of people in many of those tracts is very low to begin with, so a decent percentage doesn't necessarily translate into a lot of new people. Meanwhile, some of the suburban tracts are actually going backwards.

In the city, downtown is the only place where any notable population increase is happening.

http://www12.statcan...ps/Victoria.pdf

#3 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Wow, Thunder Bay's stats bring to mind the words "rats" and "sinking ship"

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

In the city, downtown is the only place where any notable population increase is happening.

Downtown's population may have increased faster percentage-wise but that doesn't necessarily mean it's growing by more "persons" than other areas of Victoria. It wouldn't come as a surprise if Vic West put on a similar physical population growth as did downtown since 2001 given the areas densification.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

It appears no one is leaving Saskatoon.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:05 PM

Meaning most of Victoria's rather miniscule population growth is due to interprovincial migration?

At a glance I can't figure that chart out, so somebody please explain it to me.

Here's a good PDF showing exactly where in Victoria the population growth (and population decline) is happening. The suburbs are growing, but the sheer number of people in many of those tracts is very low to begin with, so a decent percentage doesn't necessarily translate into a lot of new people. Meanwhile, some of the suburban tracts are actually going backwards.

http://www12.statcan...ps/Victoria.pdf

How come the population of Discovery Island and the Chatham's is increasing? No one lives there.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Animals are people, too, VHF.
  • JimV likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:50 PM

We can assume Vic West will be dark purple when they run this report after the next census.

Unless they change the colours, of course.

So nobody can explain that first chart to me? Is it telling me that for every 8,000 or so new Victorians, about 6,000 of them are people who moved here from another province?

Or is it telling me that for every 1,000 existing Victorians, about 6 of them are people who've recently moved here from another province (so less than 2,000)?

Is the "natural increase" telling us that natural increase is actually producing a deficit in Victoria?

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Sounds about right.

If I understand it correctly, of the roughly ~9,000 new Victorians, ~2000 are immigrants, ~6,000 are from other provinces and several hundred are from elsewhere in the province while our "natural increase" was a decrease of about 1,000 individuals.

Know it all.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

I believe that it is rate per thousand population and the current population is 337 000.

Our natural increase is negative 337, which means 337 more people died in victoria then were born here.

However if we have a rate of 6 per thousand as interprovincial migration that would equal an increase of 2022 people.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Though perhaps Mike is right as 9000 works out to be 2.5 % which is about our growth rate right?

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:25 AM

I got this e-mail from a member of the Victoria Police Department who is creating an emergency response protocol for Downtown:

I’m building a scenario for an emergency response and recovery project that has an earthquake basis to it. Could you give me some kind of estimate on how many people we have living in the downtown area in the retrofitted older buildings and what the total might be, living in what we would both consider the downtown area? Rough estimates are fine.

I guess examples might be my building The Mosaic, which has 85 suites--maybe 130 people or so. A couple of doors down above the bike shop and antique store the second storey appears to have three or four apartment units.

So does anyone have a guess? This would be excluding new construction like Astoria, Belvedere etc. Maybe 300-500 people? Plus ~1000 homeless/street people. There are no single family homes in Downtown/Harris Green.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:59 AM

Well there is the Vogue and Monaco Lofts and then there are quite a few in around Chinatown. I would 500 at least, but perhaps a little higher. It would be a good walking excercise.

#13 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

OnCanvas Art Gallery is 2nd floor live-work, with the owner living there (Carnaby Street used to be on ground floor). Might be other small examples like that...?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

With the introduction of commuter transit between the south Cowichan Valley and Victoria, isn't it about time that the CRD and CVRD looked into amending the borders?

While the the metro's population is officially 350,000, in reality the population relying on Victoria for employment and amenities stretches far beyond Langford and should include upwards of 370,000 people (not including the Gulf Islands part of the CRD).

If a place like Mission (60km from downtown Vancouver) is counted as part of Metro Vancouver then communities like Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Mill Bay, Cobble Hill, et al, should be included under Victoria's umbrella and pay taxes accordingly.

Know it all.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

Have we seen this before?

From the CRD website:

http://www.crd.bc.ca...stics_FINAL.pdf

So we now have a pop (or did in 2007) of 365 000

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

I notice that the graphs in the above document divide the region precisely as I would under amalgamation: Core, Peninsula and West Shore. Now will somebody PLEASE make this a political reality?

BTW this is my 1000th post. Time sure does fly.

#17 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

Holden West used to give out prizes but we don't see much of him anymore...

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

The CRD's 2009 population estimate adds over 3,000 people to metro Victoria's population.

Know it all.

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:28 AM

Interesting. So we are most likely over 370k for the region and will be hitting about 376k by next census.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

We're at 354,000 in the metro, but that's not the official census, just the CRD estimate. That also doesn't include communities that ought to be tagged into our population like Shawnigan Lake, Malahat, Mill Bay or Cobble Hill, all of which heavily rely on the CRD for employment and shopping.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users