Photo

Victoria population discussion | Census data | CRD projections

• Please log in to reply
1436 replies to this topic

#1121 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:37 PM

Why on earth would the label for illegal immigrants be “neutral or free from value judgments”?

They are not merely unauthorized to be here- they are breaking our laws being here.

Softening the language around that is the same tactic that makes us talk about “harm reduction” instead of drug addicts and zero tolerance.
  • Nparker and LJ like this

#1122 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:47 PM

#everyonesavictim

#1123 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:31 AM

Most Americans call illegal immigration 'very serious problem,' poll finds

Just 26% of Americans approve of Biden's handling of the border

https://www.foxnews....us-problem-poll

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 12:31 AM.

#1124 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:40 AM

GHWM6B7WkAAT-Vj.jpg

https://en.wikipedia...ity_Canada_West

University Canada West (UCW) is a privatefor-profit[4] university in British Columbia, Canada. It was founded in 2005 by David F. Strong, the former president of the University of Victoria. UCW was purchased in 2008 by the Eminata Group and in 2014 sold to Global University Systems, its present owners. Based in downtown Vancouver, the university offers undergraduate and graduate programs in business and management.

In March 2012, a two-part investigative feature in the British Columbian paper The Province reported on student complaints at UCW and two other Canadian colleges owned by Eminata.[14][15] In October of that year, the Hindustan Times published an article reporting on interviews with over 30 students, graduates, faculty and former teachers and employees of UCW who "alleged that it [was] a university only in name, and that many of them were duped." The article noted that the university "vehemently" denied the allegations that the students were misled about the value of UCW degrees saying that it had many students who secured positions in industry and government, both in Canada and abroad. At the time of the article's publication, approximately 90% of UCW's students were from India. Earlier that year, when student complaints about UCW had begun to surface, India's Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University pulled out of a Memorandum of Understanding with UCW to jointly run an MBA exchange programme.

UCW had 52 graduates in the class of 2018. Of these, 14 came from India, 4 from the Middle East, 9 from the Far East, 10 from Canada, 7 from Africa, 4 from the Middle East, 4 from Europe, and 4 from Central and South America. The majority of the graduates were on the MBA program.[22] Since then, the university has grown exponentially, with over 14,000 students from over 110 countries as of September 2023.

Most of those students aren’t attending publicly funded universities like the University of British Columbia. Of the 175,000 international students in the province last year, around 94,000 attended one of roughly 280 private post-secondary institutions licensed by the provincial government.

Some of those schools are mammoths, others mice. The number of study permits the federal government issued for students attending University Canada West, for example, soared from fewer than 6,000 in 2021 to nearly 14,000 in 2023 — far more than any other post-secondary institution in the province.

Other private colleges report just a few hundred international students, and some only a handful.

https://thetyee.ca/N...l-Student-Boom/

By Robinson’s own admission, some of these schools aren’t up to snuff.

Robinson said her ministry had received reports, for example, of students who travelled across the world only to find their school taught all its courses online. In some cases, Robinson said, students’ families had spent their life savings for them to travel to Canada, and were intimidated by school staff when they tried to complain to her ministry. Robinson said many of those students may graduate without the skills they need to land a steady job.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 February 2024 - 08:46 AM.

#1125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:43 AM

That’s wild.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1126 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:33 AM

Let's not forget that the one recruiting company got $300,000,000 in investment. W5 didn't follow the money at all..... 

• Nparker likes this

#1127 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:42 AM

Not just the private college immigrant-mills, but all post secondary is a racket these days. Hugely inflated tuition, government subsidized, producing very little value.

Maybe a question for another thread; but where would you send your kids for a good post-secondary education these days? I firmly believe in the value of a liberal arts education, but that seems impossible to find without the woke indoctrination. So I’m thinking of pointing my kids toward entrepreneurship plus a trade ticket (or 2 year health-care technician type thing).

Seems like even a Uvic engineering degree won’t land you a good enough job to make it in Victoria these days.

#1128 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:49 AM

Like the NDP are going to do anything to address the problem. The universities in BC take in hundreds of millions a year in extra tuition charges to foreign students of which they then funnel huge amounts back to the NDP in the form of research, polling, marketing and labour.

#1129 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:52 AM

Like the NDP are going to do anything to address the problem. The universities in BC take in hundreds of millions a year in extra tuition charges to foreign students of which they then funnel huge amounts back to the NDP in the form of research, polling, marketing and labour.

Nice, another tin foil thing. Got a source?

• Brayvehart likes this

#1130 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:00 AM

Nice, another tin foil thing. Got a source?

Just a quick glance at uvic and their unions shows they are kicking back at least a little to the BC NDP. 

I searched for universities and colleges who might've also contributed to the NDP, but didn't find anything definitive. (I might not be good at using the search tool though)

https://contribution...teTo=&DateFrom=

Seems like CUPE (national and BC division), which has representation at UVIC, each donate about 100k to the NDP annually.

CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES NATIONAL 2017/01/27 $115,000.00
CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES BC DIVISION 2012/12/12 $100,000.00
CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES BC DIVISION 2016/07/05 $100,000.00
CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES BC DIVISION 2017/09/26 $100,000.00
CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES NATIONAL 2012/12/28 $100,000.00
CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES NATIONAL 2017/10/03 $100,000.00

Robina Thomas, VP of indigenous at uvic donated $1200 in 2020

ROBINA THOMAS 2020/10/26 $1,200.00

A little smoke, but not much fire. (BC NDP also received donations from tons of corporations and trade associations you wouldn't expect... and some you would.. like the BC taxi association, lol)

Edited by max.bravo, 27 February 2024 - 11:01 AM.

#1131 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:37 AM

Unions sure. Absolutely, and unfortunately.

#1132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:38 AM

One of the best things about retiring from the BC Public Service was finally being able to divorce myself from the BCGEU. 

• lanforod and max.bravo like this

#1133 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 01:09 PM

One of the best things about retiring from the BC Public Service was finally being able to divorce myself from the BCGEU.

I guess that’s why you didn’t respond to their rally to march with the far left hate group “No Space for Hate” that terrorized the parents lawfully protesting for informed consent in regards to their children’s sexual indoctrination down at the lawn last year. First protest shut down by a hate group actually! Unless you count Trudeau’s Liberal Party…

Edited by dasmo, 27 February 2024 - 01:10 PM.

#1134 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 02:19 PM

Other than paying union dues for 31 years I had no involvement with the BCGEU whatsoever.

• dasmo likes this

#1135 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:51 PM

More to the point, the economy is now growing slower than the population, which is why per capita GDP is now falling. And it’s per capita GDP that really counts, as far as living standards are concerned.

At some point all this is going to shake Canadians’ sense of their place in the world. If you took a poll, I suspect you would find most Canadians still think of us as one of the richest countries on Earth: maybe fifth or sixth. And at one time we were. As late as 1981, Canada ranked sixth among OECD countries in GDP per capita, behind only Switzerland, Luxembourg, Norway, the United States and Denmark.

But we’re not any more. As of 2022 we were 15th. Over the 40-odd years in between, Canada’s per capita GDP grew more slowly than that of 22 other OECD members. Countries that used to be poorer than us – Ireland, the Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, Iceland, Australia, Germany, Belgium, Finland – are now richer than we are.

The picture is particularly distressing when you compare where we are with our nearest neighbour. As of 1981, per capita GDP in Canada was 92 per cent of that of the U.S.; by 2022 it had fallen to just 73 per cent. Drill down into the national data and it looks even worse.

The economist Trevor Tombe has shown that Canada’s richest province, Alberta, would rank 14th among U.S. states.

The poorest five provinces now rank among the six poorest jurisdictions in North America.

Ontario ranks just ahead of Alabama.

British Columbia is poorer than Kentucky.

Even this somewhat overstates our position. Canadians work more hours, on average, than people in other countries. Measured in output per hour worked – which is what we mean by labour productivity – we ranked 18th in 2022, having posted the slowest rate of productivity growth in the OECD since 1981, but for Switzerland. Given our performance in 2023, I don’t think we should be surprised to find we have since dropped out of the top 20.

https://www.theglobe...-country-after/

The OECD tracks investment across its 38 member states plus nine others. From 2011 to 2015, the growth rate of investment in Canada was merely awful: 37th out of the 47. From 2015 to 2023, it was appalling: 44th, ahead of only South Africa, Mexico and Japan.

Simply put, our workers are less productive than other countries’ workers because they have less capital to work with. As recently as a decade ago, gross fixed capital formation per worker in Canada was within striking distance of the United States: about 95 per cent. It has since declined to roughly two-thirds. A similar decline has been observed relative to the OECD generally.

Since around 2000, while business investment in residential structures has roughly doubled as a percentage of GDP, investment in machinery and equipment has roughly halved. Could this go some way to explain why our relative productivity growth fell off so sharply after then? Have we been so busy capitalizing on rising housing prices that we neglected to invest in the sorts of things that make it possible to afford a house?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2024 - 09:55 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:33 PM

...The OECD tracks investment across its 38 member states plus nine others. From 2011 to 2015, the growth rate of investment in Canada was merely awful: 37th out of the 47. From 2015 to 2023, it was appalling: 44th, ahead of only South Africa, Mexico and Japan...

I wonder what might have happened in 2015 to stifle investment in Canada?

• phx and Victoria Watcher like this

#1137 Tony

Tony
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 11:23 AM

GDP is only one measure of wealth. Wealth is only one element related to quality of life. USA may rank highly on GDP but I would not want to live there.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1138 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 09:30 AM

I’d move to the states in a heartbeat if it was possible.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#1139 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 09:31 AM

^ that’s the attitude of many/most Canadians of course.

On a per capita basis, 10x more Canadians choose to live in the USA where possible, than vice versa.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2024 - 09:32 AM.

#1140 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 03 March 2024 - 09:57 AM

GDP is only one measure of wealth. Wealth is only one element related to quality of life. USA may rank highly on GDP but I would not want to live there.

Agreed I've spent enough time down there on business etc, IMO its fine in small doses but a permanent move to the Excitable States? One apparently on the verge of re-electing a man with the keys to open the doors of Chaos, Angst, mass disinformation and lies, not to mentiong being a general fanboy of Vladimir Putin? You couldn't drag me there on a permanent basis for all the Chick-fil-A and Taco Bells in the world. Nope. No how. And in small groups I generally like 'murricans, especially when they refrain from all that nationalistic rah-rah stuff, and we have relatives in Michigan to boot. Regardless for all its warts I'll take Canada every time please Alex. More so if we could just rid of Sock Boy......

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)