Photo

Victoria population discussion | Census data | CRD projections

• Please log in to reply
1272 replies to this topic

#1221 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:10 AM

In contemporary parlance, Canada's current rate of immigration is unsustainable.

• max.bravo likes this

#1222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:14 AM

We could drop another 40 million in this year. We’d all survive. With a lower quality of life. But what the point is, I’m not sure.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2024 - 11:15 AM.

#1223 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:18 AM

We could drop another 40 million in this year. We’d all survive. With a lower quality of life. But what the point is, I’m not sure.

You just said it.
  • Nparker likes this

#1224 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:53 AM

https://youtu.be/dNr...HaAClIq2&t=1006

https://www.applyboard.com/

[FUNDING ALERT] EDTECH STARTUP APPLYBOARD RAISES $300M AT A VALUATION OF $3.2B

Read more at: https://yourstory.co...stment-series-d

https://yourstory.co...expand in India.

The edtech platform, ApplyBoard, has raised an investment of $300 million at a valuation of $3.2 billion. A significant part of this funding will be utilised to expand its operations and team in India.

Read more at: https://yourstory.co...stment-series-d

Where did the $300,000,000 in investment come from? 

Edited by dasmo, 28 March 2024 - 11:55 AM.

#1225 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:24 PM

Canada needs a mindset shift that would make us want to develop more of the vast wilderness surrounding cities.

The answer to the housing crisis isn't solely in removing red tape from urban development -- but allowing more development all over. 

Designate nice, big, natural areas within these zones.... but let people subdivide however they want and build homes everywhere. 

It continually blows my mind how inflated land prices are while we are overrun by nonproductive land with nothing except policy blocking us from allowing development.

Even hurdles like mountainous terrain will be overcome when people have an incentive to develop. Our country is so backwards it hurts.

Everything in blue is relatively flat, easy to develop, has water nearby, and close enough to another city that people would want to live there. 

My dream would be something like FLW's Broadacre City plan... but the current anti-suburban mindset would never let that be a reality. https://en.wikipedia.../Broadacre_City

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

• Matt R. likes this

#1226 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:27 PM

Presumably not carpenters and house-builders either.

No, those land in BC but quickly realize it’s impossible and move to Alberta.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1227 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:29 PM

Canada needs a mindset shift that would make us want to develop more of the vast wilderness surrounding cities.

The answer to the housing crisis isn't solely in removing red tape from urban development -- but allowing more development all over.

Designate nice, big, natural areas within these zones.... but let people subdivide however they want and build homes everywhere.

It continually blows my mind how inflated land prices are while we are overrun by nonproductive land with nothing except policy blocking us from allowing development.

Even hurdles like mountainous terrain will be overcome when people have an incentive to develop. Our country is so backwards it hurts.

Everything in blue is relatively flat, easy to develop, has water nearby, and close enough to another city that people would want to live there.

My dream would be something like FLW's Broadacre City plan... but the current anti-suburban mindset would never let that be a reality. https://en.wikipedia.../Broadacre_City

Yup.

#1228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:32 PM

Davos has decreed we MUST all live in "15 minute cities" whether we want to or not.

#1229 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:39 PM

Yep. Instead of 235 hectares of forest mowed down to build an amazing new small town with all solar roofs it is instead mowed down for a solar farm to feed the 15 minute city full of affordable 400sq ft rentals.  

• Nparker, Victoria Watcher and max.bravo like this

#1230 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 11:11 AM

More on the WEF influencer  Yuval Noah Harari back in 2015. His TED talk and his vision of the world.... 

"One possibility is this creation of a new massive class of useless people. Another possibility is the division of humankind into different biological castes, with the rich being upgraded into virtual gods, and the poor being degraded to this level of useless people."

https://youtu.be/nzj...EPLG4xGle&t=896

#1231 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 11:40 AM

I’m no fan of transhumanist Yuval. But to be fair, he wasn’t describing there what he wants to happen, just what will happen, if governments don’t take care of the useless eaters.

Remember he’s doing this for our good 🤦‍♂️

#1232 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 12:21 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. He is an evolutionary humanist who believes that we must evolve our species thorough integrating technology.  Like a Techno Hitler.  You Max, of all people here, should watch the talk. You will know why I suggest so after you finish.... 

He only presents awful possibilities. 

there is a distinct possibility that computers will out-perform us in most tasks and will make humans redundant.
And then the big political and economic question of the 21st century will be, "What do we need humans for?", or at least, "What do we need so many humans for?"
BG: Do you have an answer in the book?
YNH: At present, the best guess we have is to keep them happy with drugs and computer games ...
(Laughter)
but this doesn't sound like a very appealing future.
BG: Ok, so you're basically saying in the book and now, that for all the discussion about the growing evidence of significant economic inequality, we are just kind of at the beginning of the process?
YNH: Again, it's not a prophecy; it's seeing all kinds of possibilities before us.
One possibility is this creation of a new massive class of useless people.

• max.bravo likes this

#1233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 06:40 AM

Transhumanism is the goal of the tech elites, it’s so obvious now. They believe they can synthesize human consciousness into the digital realm and provide an alternative reality to life in the real world. Oculus, digital avatars, etc, are the baby steps towards this. The current tech is ridiculous but so was Pong 40 years ago.

Elon Musk is leading the charge with Neurolink, as the first ‘major’ step towards this digital oasis (for the tech gods, not for the average person).

So for all of the concerns you raise, Dasmo, nothing will change until people stop investing in the technocrats’ stocks.
  • max.bravo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1234 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 07:38 AM

You sell yours first!

#1235 Tony

Tony
  • 520 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 08:35 AM

Not my XLK

#1236 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 08:47 AM

Transhumanism is the goal of the tech elites, it’s so obvious now. They believe they can synthesize human consciousness into the digital realm and provide an alternative reality to life in the real world. Oculus, digital avatars, etc, are the baby steps towards this. The current tech is ridiculous but so was Pong 40 years ago.

Elon Musk is leading the charge with Neurolink, as the first ‘major’ step towards this digital oasis (for the tech gods, not for the average person).

So for all of the concerns you raise, Dasmo, nothing will change until people stop investing in the technocrats’ stocks.

This is a long read, but has pictures! One of the best explanations of Neuralink's goals I've seen. Definitely a very very interesting concept... but will open doors to direct external influence... interpret that how you will

https://waitbutwhy.c.../neuralink.html

Attached Images

• Capture.JPG

#1237 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 08:54 AM

I am glad I will be dead in 25-30 years.

#1238 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 09:08 AM

You've posted enough content that we can resurrect you via an AI that will mimic your posts into eternity. I'm personally looking forward to it.

Or, you can believe in Jesus now and live forever that way... 

• Matt R. likes this

#1239 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 09:09 AM

I am not sure which is the more frightening prospect.  ;)

#1240 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 05:55 PM

Finally we agree on something.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users