[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#6281 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,062 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:14 PM

I asked a marine engineer, he figured it partially houses the hydraulics for the ramp, plus overhead stuff like firefighting equipment directed towards cars

Now we're getting somewhere!

:teacher:

#6282 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:34 PM

Overhead Bars is trying to displace Mike K's Blizzards at Tinto Rocks this year.

Jets Overhead with John Tesh would be a great double-bill at Tinto Rocks. Somebody make it happen.

• lanforod likes this

#6283 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:37 PM

They invited Gun Control to come play as well, but they couldn't get across the border.

• Mike K., lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#6284 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 10:24 PM

B.C. Ferries seeks better dry-dock access for repairs

The company plans to award contracts called master services agreements to more than one company starting in the second quarter of this year.

I propose they just dam Deas Dock.

screenshot-www.google.com-2024.03.04-01_22_26.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2024 - 10:24 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#6285 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 01:59 PM

B.C. Ferries cancels some Victoria-Vancouver sailings as high winds sweep Strait of Georgia

https://www.timescol...georgia-8422180

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 March 2024 - 01:59 PM.

#6286 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 02:35 PM

Yah - caught the 0900 ex Tsawwassen this morning - it was pretty lumpy.  i wondered if they were going to start cx-ing sailings.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#6287 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 02:39 PM

Also, a beef:

Sandwiches..”Sorry, our contract with BreadGarden has lapsed - would you like a burger instead?” Doesn’t cut it any more - you’ve been faffing around with the lapsed contract for ~ 9 months now.  It's not like the end date sprang up out of the bushes and surprised you!  Why don’t/didn’t you have a plan in place?

There are those of us out here who would like a soup and sandwich combo for lunch rather than a heavy meal…

• Nparker likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#6288 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 09:20 AM

Over six months after it was pulled from service, the Coastal Renaissance was quietly returned to service at the beginning of March.

The Coastal Renaissance was taken out of service for repairs on Aug. 16, with BC Ferries first estimating it would take weeks for the repair to be complete.

Once it was pulled in for repairs, the scope of the issue became clearer with the company then adjusting the timeline for the return to be in October, then December, then finally in March.

BC Ferries tells CHEK News the Coastal Renaissance returned to service on March 4.

https://www.cheknews...ration-1195614/

#6289 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 04:43 AM

B.C. Ferries has decided against pursuing an insurance claim for engine problems on its three Coastal class ships and has opted instead to pay the estimated $8.5 million cost out of its contingency fund.

“Taking into consideration our insurance deductible and ­potential for insurance rate increases if we were to make a claim, we have now decided to fund this repair out of our contingency account, which is in place for major incidents such as this one,” Jeff Groot, B.C. Ferries spokesman, said ­Monday.

“When you consider all the costs related to design, freight (air/sea), the rotors themselves and the work to exchange them, installing six rotors is about $1.4 million each, or ­approximately $8.5 million total.”

Coastal Renaissance serves the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay route. It returned to work on March 4 after it was sidelined on Aug. 17, 2023, and taken to Departure Bay in Nanaimo. The motor was subsequently sent to the U.S. for investigation and repair.

A problem discovered with the ferry’s rotor (the rotating part of an electric motor) prompted B.C. Ferries to investigate the other two Coastal vessels where they discovered similar issues.

The German-built ferries, which went into service in 2007 and 2008, were equipped with motors which vibrated and were noisy when in dock. The decision was made to turn off the motors and restart them when departing for the next sailing.

https://www.timescol...e-ships-8462369

#6290 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:50 AM

I wonder what the deductible is and at what price point they'd consider a claim. 

Always something I'm curious about when it comes to insurance claims at a consumer level too - car, home etc insurance.

#6291 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 07:39 PM

Why wouldn't they approach the builder for compensation, or did they?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6292 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:10 PM

Just a guess (but not totally uninformed- I worked at bcf head office for 10 years, about 10 yrs ago…)

I’d guess that there’s a defined period after they take delivery when they can make warranty/defect claims to flensburger. That period has long passed.

I’d assume the “blame” is disputed and rests somewhere between the shipyard, the classification society (kinda like a 3rd party assurance organization, certifying on behalf of TC), and bc ferries.

I’m sure they approached the shipyard, who probably told them to pound sand. (This is perhaps a hidden cost to overseas shipyards - a local outfit might be more willing to create goodwill and work with BCF).

BCF’s corporate insurance is likely only possible avenue to get the repairs paid for - and given the complexity of the claim, it’s likely the insurer told them it’s not gonna be worth their while if they pursue ‘frivolous’ claims like this. ie., somebody should’ve noticed this and dealt with it earlier.
  • lanforod likes this

#6293 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 09:25 PM

What’s the mileage? Maybe the warranty expired after 100,000km.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6294 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 11:45 PM

I would expect that BCF's decision to operate in a way that the vessel was not designed to do would limit a potential insurance claim.
Those engines were not designed to be stopped and restarted multiple times per day.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#6295 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:50 PM

Just a guess (but not totally uninformed- I worked at bcf head office for 10 years, about 10 yrs ago…)

I’d guess that there’s a defined period after they take delivery when they can make warranty/defect claims to flensburger. That period has long passed.

I’d assume the “blame” is disputed and rests somewhere between the shipyard, the classification society (kinda like a 3rd party assurance organization, certifying on behalf of TC), and bc ferries.

I’m sure they approached the shipyard, who probably told them to pound sand. (This is perhaps a hidden cost to overseas shipyards - a local outfit might be more willing to create goodwill and work with BCF).

BCF’s corporate insurance is likely only possible avenue to get the repairs paid for - and given the complexity of the claim, it’s likely the insurer told them it’s not gonna be worth their while if they pursue ‘frivolous’ claims like this. ie., somebody should’ve noticed this and dealt with it earlier.

Well, I would expect that we won't be having them build any more vessels for us.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6296 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:24 AM

I would expect that BCF's decision to operate in a way that the vessel was not designed to do would limit a potential insurance claim.
Those engines were not designed to be stopped and restarted multiple times per day.

Are you sure they stop and restart them? Every sailing I remember, I don’t think engines stop between sailings. They even use them to keep the boat against the pier I think?

#6297 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,062 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:31 AM

Are you sure they stop and restart them? Every sailing I remember, I don’t think engines stop between sailings. They even use them to keep the boat against the pier I think?

The article says they vibrate and make too much noise, so they do shut them down at dock.

#6298 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:33 AM

Ah. Hmm

#6299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 06:40 AM

Ferry fares are rising April 2nd. $288 now for a family of four to travel, return, to the mainland, without a reservation.

$19.10 is the base passenger fare. $67.40 for a vehicle of 20’ or less.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 06:42 AM

Making life more affordable!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users