Photo

Subway Restaurants

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:49 AM

The malls use sophisticated vent systems.

what about Cobs? I don't go near any other bakeries on foot enough to be able to compare.

#42 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:57 AM

The stench is baking bread. A similar smell is emitted by bakeries.

Ummmm every bakery I walk into smells delicious. Subway makes me want to puke. Perhaps it’s like cigarettes. If you smoke them you can’t see what all the fuss is about....
  • VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#43 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:57 AM

And yes, I know it’s the smell of their “baking” “bread”.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:02 AM

Subway does have that raunchy baking smell. Could it be the ovens and the way the breads bake?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

And yes, I know it’s the smell of their “baking” “bread”.

Lol.  I think maybe it's just that Subway jettisons its exhaust in a less sophisticated fashion than a larger "bakery" does, so it hits you at nose level rather than at the top of a 30' tall stack.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

What do you mean? Inflation is an outcome, not a driver. Factors, such as increased labour costs, drive inflation. Inflation doesn't just happen on its own. The argument here is that increasing wages drives inflation, as some business owners pass on those costs to consumers (as it appears Subway has done).

I mean that minimum wage increases driving up prices is meaningless, because other factors are already driving up prices. Except, of course, that wages aren't generally increasing at the same rate. 

What do you mean? Employment numbers are as strong as they have been since the mid-1970's. 

The outcomes being discussed here are not really up for debate. We're talking about well established, researched and documented economic outcomes of raising the minimum wage. An increase in the minimum wage causes many outcomes, including:
- Reduced business profits 
- Reduced employment (shorter hours of operation, working existing staff harder, less staff on shift resulting in worse customer service, laying off staff with poor productivity, etc.)
- Companies absorb higher labour costs by passing those costs onto consumers (inflation)
- Increased automation
- Businesses move to lower cost jurisdictions

etc.

It's true. Business profits cratered after they brought in minimum wages (wait, they didn't).
Employers stopped hiring anyone (wait, they didn't).
Prices increased, yes, but they increased even when minimum wages didn't increase... suggesting perhaps they're not related.
Automation is occurring anyway, even though minimum wages haven't increased... it's not like all those self-service kiosks in McDonalds and in supermarkets were a result of a $15 minimum wage.
Businesses already were moving to lower cost jurisdictions anyway.

It's like all the things we're saying will happen from a minimum wage increase ... are already occurring. Except the part where a small portion of the profits generated by labor are distributed back to the labourer.

Also, Subway bread does have a strange odour compared to Cobbs and other bakeries.  It's not helped by the new instance on toasting -everything-.

Edited by Jason-L, 10 January 2018 - 08:42 AM.

#47 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

All bread smells amazing when being baked. One can only assume Subway isn’t baking bread but something that looks and feels like bread.

#48 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

It's like all the things we're saying will happen from a minimum wage increase ... are already occurring. Except the part where a small portion of the profits generated by labor are distributed back to the labourer.

You don’t think incentives or government policy matter. OK then. We could discuss the negative effects of price floors, of which a minimum wage is one example. I could point you to countless articles and studies, but I don’t see the point, as you seem to think markets function at random and that labour inputs do not matter and that all outcomes driven by minimum wages are inevitable.

Perhaps you have not been to Europe where the cost of everything is much higher than it is here or to the southern US where the cost of everything is lower than it is here. The cost of supplies, materials, land, buildings and yes labour absolutely matters in how businesses operate. Especially small mom & pop businesses like cafes, bakeries and restaurants that are so dependent on unskilled labour.

I’m sure behemoths like McDonald’s and Starbucks will be fine with an abrupt $15 minimum wage. They have the capital and ability to automate, adapt and lose money while they adjust. A locally owned café whose labour costs just went up 30% does not. 

• rjag likes this

#49 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

I stopped by Subway today and noticed the prices were up, although not sure they were up 7%

#50 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

How did it smell?

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

7% better!
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, dasmo and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

I mean that minimum wage increases driving up prices is meaningless, because other factors are already driving up prices. Except, of course, that wages aren't generally increasing at the same rate. 

It's true. Business profits cratered after they brought in minimum wages (wait, they didn't).
Employers stopped hiring anyone (wait, they didn't).
Prices increased, yes, but they increased even when minimum wages didn't increase... suggesting perhaps they're not related.
Automation is occurring anyway, even though minimum wages haven't increased... it's not like all those self-service kiosks in McDonalds and in supermarkets were a result of a $15 minimum wage.
Businesses already were moving to lower cost jurisdictions anyway.

https://www.washingt...m=.510b1912b01b

When Seattle officials voted three years ago to incrementally boost the city's minimum wage up to $15 an hour, they'd hoped to improve the lives of low-income workers. Yet according to a major new study that could force economists to reassess past research on the issue, the hike has had the opposite effect.

Edited by rjag, 10 January 2018 - 09:01 PM.

• jonny and lanforod like this

#53 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,047 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:53 PM

subway just announced they will not be making their 6" sub any longer.

:)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 February 2021 - 03:54 PM.

• sebberry, Matt R. and Lorenzo like this

#54 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:53 PM

I was in Subway last summer and asked for the 'v' cut, you know, how they used to cut the bread along the top instead of down the side?  The 'sandwich artist' looked at me like I had two heads.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,756 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:07 PM

But will they be making it any shorter?

#56 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

Subway is trending today due to a big NYTimes story dealing with rumours their tuna sandwich contains something other than tuna. It's long and behind a paywall but the bottom line is the Times did DNA testing which came back inconclusive because you can't get meaningful DNA from a heavily processed food. 

But tuna goes for about $1,000 a ton which is a very cheap protein so there's practically nothing cheaper that you could cut it with. Which reminds me of the McDonald's urban legend I heard when I was a kid about burgers with earthworm filler, until you realize worms are a lot more expensive per pound than Grade A hamburger. Subway's supply line from the fish boat to the store is pretty well known so there really isn't an opportunity to secretly doctor the product at such a large scale.

• Nparker likes this

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,047 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:11 AM

hopefully it turns out to be dolphin meat.

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:05 AM

Burger flipper? No, Flipper burger.

• sebberry and Matt R. like this

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:33 AM

That'd be quite the thing if they were doing it on porpoise.

• sebberry and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#60 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 10:50 AM

Sorry, the porpoise pun is only allowed once a month. 

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users