PROPOSED
Fernwood Commons
Use: rental
Address: 1802 Chambers Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 3
Fernwood Commons is a proposal to develop rental housing in a new-build three-storey building and new-build tw... (view full profile)
Learn more about Fernwood Commons on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fernwood] Fernwood Commons | Rentals | 3-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

As mentioned previously in the 'Info on Projects With No Dedicated Thread" thread, a new development is proposed at North Park and Chambers.  The development is on the site of the formerly-proposed co-housing development (mods:  since this is a completely new proposal I've created a new thread, but you're welcome to merge this into the co-housing thread if you prefer).  Overall, the proposal calls for the retention/renovation of the Teacherage building and an existing duplex and the construction of a new 3-storey building.  29 of the 31 total units are in the new building and the Teacherage building, and the developer has offered to guarantee these units as rentals for the first ten years after their completion.  Alan Lowe is the architect.

Here's an elevation drawing of the new building:

elevation.JPG

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

I see the "giant house" look from the 1990s is making a comeback.

• zoomer and aastra like this

#3 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

I see the "giant house" look from the 1990s is making a comeback.

Apparently this is due to community feedback on the first design, i.e. community members told the architect that they wanted something to 'blend in' with the houses.  The letter accompanying the plans also mentioned that they showed a 4-storey proposal at the preliminary community meeting, which was met with some resistance.  Thus, they shortened the height to 3 storeys (increasing the 'house look').

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 26 May 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:10 PM

Ya, that's unfortunate.  They look stupid.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

...community members told the architect that they wanted something to 'blend in' with the houses...

Ugh. Why even bother hiring an architect?

#6 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Looks like someone programmed a procedural house generator and just scaled the size up to what they needed.  I'd love to see some massive Pentagon sized building done in this non-style.

• Nparker likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Adding to Kapten's info above, the project will also include additional setbacks, 23-units in the new-build, six in the Teacherage, and two in the duplex. I think this concept will make far more sense than the co-housing proposal.

Lots eyed for Fernwood co-housing proposal re-envisioned as a rental complex

http://victoria.citi...rental-complex/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the additional info Mike!  I must have gotten the development name wrong when I looked at the proposal documents.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

Oh for sure. Thanks for pulling up the details!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users