CANCELLED
926-932 Pandora Avenue
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 926-932 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, townhome, 1BR + den, 2BR + den)
Sales status: in planning
926-932 Pandora Avenue is a proposal for a 10-storey condominium and townhome development with ground floor re... (view full profile)
Learn more about 926-932 Pandora Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] 926-932 Pandora Avenue | Affordable rentals, community space

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
196 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

And this gets rid of a significant problem area. 

• jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

... And a massive rental project is being built practically next door.  Or at least they are moving lots of mud there.   :)

As you may recall that was hardly a slam-dunk proposal.  :whyme:

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

It looks like the rendering refers to scale and density permitted there? Does anyone know if those lots fall under a specific height and massing as per the new OCP? They all appear roughly the same height.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

I assume that part of the reason for this proposal not being purpose-built rental is that the developer simply is not in a position to operate it as such and/or does not have a rental housing operator lined up to step in and manage the property.  Furthermore, a rental would require a different type of financing than a condo project.

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

I assume that part of the reason for this proposal not being purpose-built rental is that the developer simply is not in a position to operate it as such and/or does not have a rental housing operator lined up to step in and manage the property.  Furthermore, a rental would require a different type of financing than a condo project.

Yes that would be my sense as well, but as I suggested above, I think this will make it a harder sell with Council and the NPNA (North Park NIMBY Association).

#26 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Good: a new development in an area that desperately needs a refresh and an injection particularly of more residents, so check off that box.

Bad: I know its just an initial rendering but 'ewwww' in terms of height and massing this looks like the Jack Davis Building's "lost at birth" twin. And that ain't a good thing....

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

It actually reminds me of the Cherry Bank down at Blanshard and Fairfield, especially from the rear.

building_samples_big.jpg

926-932-Pandora-rendering-2-Citified.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

I'm more interested in these massive neighbouring projects shown in the render :)

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:37 AM

I'm more interested in these massive neighbouring projects shown in the render 

Yeah, that is some significant massing shown for the McDonald's property.

#30 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

Some interesting Facebook comments on this one. I particularly like "How are they going to sell these? Have they driven by Our Place? You'd never want to walk there. It's a cesspool of human suffering. "I bought a condo in Victoria's 'Little Calcutta!"."

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

Presumably the land cost already reflects that.  Our Place is quite quiet at night.  But you do have campers in that block.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 June 2017 - 09:51 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

1008 Pandora will change that neighbourhood, mark my words. Right now the individuals who cluster around Our Place do so because there are no eyes on them who would care enough to report indecent or disruptive behaviour.

But one block up in the 1000-block (which 1008 is joining, of course, but will also front onto the 900-block from many units) where you've got residential buildings along the entire stretch, you hardly ever seen individuals camped out along the centre median. When you do, it's one or two and they're not being problematic. People living along that block don't put up with nonsense and call it in as they see it.

Know it all.

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

Soil test drilling taking place here today. 

• zoomer likes this

#34 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Development Tracker shows that the developer has applied for a rezoning...

• Nparker likes this

#35 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

Development Tracker shows that the developer has applied for a rezoning...

The day after getting approval on The Row, too! I wouldn't be surprised to see the same sort of revisions to this project. Height brought down a bit, some balconies eliminated, and a housing agreement for rental units.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

... I wouldn't be surprised to see the same sort of revisions to this project. Height brought down a bit, some balconies eliminated, and a housing agreement for rental units.

There is no logical reason to reduce height. Which neighbours are going to have their privacy affected? These Mason Street folks:

mason.JPG

mason2.JPG

Shortchanging the density is never going to ease the CoV's housing woes. Considering the location an all-rental project would make more sense here than condos.

• Jackerbie likes this

#37 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

There is no logical reason to reduce height.

But there are so many illogical reasons!

• Nparker and jonny like this

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

I am sure Pam will want those 4 detached "heritage" homes on Mason Street to be protected forever.

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the balconies as depicted below. You'll want lots of people overlooking the street here, for sure.

post-4001-0-35133100-1497971991.jpg

• Nparker and jonny like this

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

The balcony second floor down from the top is great for those who want to visit their neighbors via the balcony...perhaps late at night.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users