Photo

Lotus Pond | Victoria | 617 Johnson St.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:58 AM

Located in the heard of Victoria's Nerd District (just east of Johnson and Government), this tiny restaurant offers fully vegan chinese food at very affordable prices. I'm not a vegan, or even a vegitarian, but I simply can't argue with the prices and taste of the food here. The dinner menu has a lot of the standard chinese dishes, plus many unique ones. The best part though is the lunch buffet. You will be presented with a large selection of interesting chinese vegan dishes which you pile up on a plate and pay by weight. A fully loaded plate of deep-friend sweet and sour soy balls, noodles, rice, or what ever you picked, will only run you about $5-6.

A delicious hole in the wall that won't burn a hole in your pocket!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:53 AM

Nerd district! Sounds like a great place to fuel up before that Saturday night D&D marathon.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:08 AM

deep-friend sweet and sour soy balls

Freud would have a field day. :lol:

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

Ha Nerd District! So true, I go down there with my "Dummy's Guide to Nerd Watching" and field glasses about once a month.

Lotus pond is excellent though and I am an omnivore!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:59 PM

I have a deep friendship with those soy balls.

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

The owners are some of the nicest people I have ever met.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

I love the Lotus Pond, but my "fully loaded" plate tends to run over $10 -- still a steal, but later I will regret the mountain of food!

#8 homebrewer

homebrewer
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 12:46 PM

Nerd district! Sounds like a great place to fuel up before that Saturday night D&D marathon.

As a 4-eyed computer geek who lives in area, I can only say I resemble that remark!

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

I stopped in to Lotus pond after buying a 2nd had D&D monster manual (3.0 edition, they didn't have the 3.5 and there's really not a big difference, it's not like how they changed rangers class info so much from 3.0 Players Handbook to 3.5) and picking up a set of nerd-dice at curious. It takes one to know one...

#10 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

Haha they didn't have it cause I bought the 3.5 Monster Manual in December.
And I am not even joking.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:19 PM

Of course you know I had to take a photo of the Nerd District.

It's great that the nerds have a part of town they can call their own. And that it's used, not only by nerds, but those across the entire nerd spectrum--geeks, dweebs, spazzes and dorks alike--united in brother/sisterhood.

Much like the [url=http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29317:a112b]Wad Accords of 1999[/url:a112b], Victoria's Nerd District is a triumph; a beacon of acceptance and tolerance in a cruel world of gaunch pulls and titty twisters inflicted by jocks and stoners.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

...gaunch pulls and titty twisters inflicted by jocks and stoners.

...care of regulars at Plan B.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:49 AM

Had lunch here the other day. The food was excellent, albeit the prices a little steeper than one would expect at a veggie place. I ordered the fake beef dish and a tofu dish (can't remember which one) and liked both equally. This place is definitely worth a try if you're interested in alternative vegetarian cuisine.

PS...don't let the drab interior scare you away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

I could eat those deep fried.... balls all day.

#15 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

This place is in my lunch rotation, I'm a devoted omnivore but everything here is tasty given their ingredient limitations. A typical plate will run $10 in my case. My kids like it too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users