D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Looks like there's room back there - http://www.bing.com/...e1=Victoria, BC

#62 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

Which reminds me, I haven't seen Helmcken House in a long time.

#63 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

Used Victoria:

Found 4 GIB Flash Drive

I found this flash drive in Esquimalt Plaza over the Xmas holidays.
It is silver in color wrapped with silver duct tape.
Someone with a great love for Victoria History is probably missing this as it has a lot of researched files on it.
If I get no response to this ad I will drop it off at the Esquimalt Archives located in the Archie Browning Centre.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

http://www.timescolo...2707/story.html

The Royal B.C. Museum is receiving $1.8 million in federal funding under the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund and $4.2 million in provincial funding for capital projects. This joint investment will support building infrastructure updates to help preserve the museum collections and improve the building.

#65 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

Victoria's 1925 Stanley Cup winners The Cougars

#66 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

I wondered why I did not know about the "Princess Kathleen"

She sank when I was 3. She looks a lot like the "Marguerite"

#67 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

^ She was the sister to the Marguerite. She is apparently polluting Alaska now.

#68 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

Wow, it's amazing that a distant name from the past is making headlines today:

Historic shipwreck may be source of oil sheens
Coast Guard conducts dives to determine if fuel should be removed

By Eric Morrison | JUNEAU EMPIRE
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Story last updated at 2/21/2010 - 12:55 pm

The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation and the Coast Guard coordinated with Southeast Alaska Lighterage and Global Offshore Divers to evaluate the vessel that went aground and sank off Lena Point in 1952.

Officials are trying to determine how much fuel remains on the 369-foot vessel. The Princess Kathleen sits on a slope in about 80 to 140 feet of water and has been periodically releasing small, unrecoverable oil sheens in the area for years. The vessel's fuel tanks could hold 155,000 gallons.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#69 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

Maybe it takes 1/2 a century to break down the fuel tanks.

#70 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

Think it might be the same building?

http://maps.google.c...18,0.01929&z=16

http://maps.google.c...2,246.77,,0,7.6

#71 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

I doubt it, the proportions are quite different between the two. Very narrow door on the old one, and the window is in a slightly different place. Changes like that require changing the "bones" of the building, which are generally the only things that remain in these ancient but constantly re-modelled buildings.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#72 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:03 AM

The fact that the entrance door is in the same location, albeit wider now, makes me think that The fact that the entrance door is in the same location, albeit wider now, makes me think that The fact that the entrance door is in the same location, albeit wider now, makes me think that The fact that the entrance door is in the same location, albeit wider now, makes me think that the original structure is still inside there somewhere. If it were bulldozer bait at one point, what are the chances that the door would remain in the same corner?

#73 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

The fact that the entrance door is in the same location, albeit wider now, makes me think that The fact that the entrance door is in the same location, albeit wider now, makes me think that The fact that the entrance door is in the same location, albeit wider now, makes me think that The fact that the entrance door is in the same location, albeit wider now, makes me think that the original structure is still inside there somewhere. If it were bulldozer bait at one point, what are the chances that the door would remain in the same corner?

Ice cream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream...

or..

Ask your mother for sixpence to see the new giraffe, pimples on it's whiskers, pimples on it's assk your mother for sixpence...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#74 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

Your persistence has convinced me.

Now look at the amazing zoomable detail in this stereoscopic Government Street photo...from the California archives.

I wish our archives had such great imagery instead of those lousy .gifs.
:/

#75 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

Victoria: Birthplace of the license plate
UPI

A Canadian man said Guinness World Records officially certified a license plate he owns as the oldest vehicle license plate in the world.

John Roberts of Esquimalt, British Columbia, said the No. 6 license plate was issued in Victoria, B.C., in 1884, 18 years before the first cars came to Victoria

[...]

http://www.upi.com/O...34831287605260/

#76 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

A few seconds of colour footage of the harbour and Thunderbird Park from the 1951 Royal visit to Victoria. Skip to the 30 minute mark.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/royal_journey

#77 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

and

http://maps.google.c...cbp=12,315,,0,5

#78 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

^Great find!

#79 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

So the Tudor isn't genuine? Darn.

#80 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

and

http://maps.google.c...cbp=12,315,,0,5

Sure cleans up nice...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users