UNDER CONSTRUCTION
TELUS Ocean
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 767 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
The Apex Site property on Douglas Street at Humboldt Street in downtown Victoria, also known as the 'Budget Lo... (view full profile)
Learn more about TELUS Ocean on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] TELUS Ocean - Apex Site | TELUS and Aryze Developments

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#461 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:38 PM

If the City had put the property on the open market then arguably they would have received a lot more money. 

Perhaps, but at the time of the disposition program only six bids emerged. I'm fairly confident the Telus proposal was the most exciting for the City, having seen some of the other bids.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#462 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:40 PM

I'd swear I saw the Telus float plane leaving the inner harbour an hour ago.

It's known to visit town  :wave:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#463 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:47 PM

Perhaps, but at the time of the disposition program only six bids emerged. I'm fairly confident the Telus proposal was the most exciting for the City, having seen some of the other bids.

The DRA's contention seems to be that while Telus won the competition, the design has since changed so dramatically it no longer is the same vison. I wonder if it's fair to the other competitors. 

#464 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:56 PM

I would be inclined to think that the Aryze version is going to be far more architecturally forward than a Jawl proposal.

I wish we could have seen the proposals, or could see them. There's no reason for secrecy now that the decision has been made.

Know it all.

#465 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:17 AM

That is because only a few firms were asked to bid. Did you know the lot was available for sale and how to make an offer? Did you know whatever price you bid the City would offset by $2M to allow for "remediation"?

Edited by spanky123, 10 March 2021 - 07:24 AM.

#466 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 07:24 AM

The DRA's contention seems to be that while Telus won the competition, the design has since changed so dramatically it no longer is the same vison. I wonder if it's fair to the other competitors. 

That is generally how it works. 

#467 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:44 AM

That is because only a few firms were asked to bid. Did you know the lot was available for sale and how to make an offer? Did you know whatever price you bid the City would offset by $2M to allow for "remediation"?

The City had issued an RFEI seeking bids for the land. Only six bids emerged.

Know it all.

#468 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:55 AM

The City had issued an RFEI seeking bids for the land. Only six bids emerged.

Sure but who goes looking at the CoV website for an RFEI? Would only be firms told of the process. REITs and offshore private equity would have been very interested I would assume and would have paid top dollar.

#469 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:59 AM

Everybody in the industry knew about this, including Telus. It wasn't a secret by any means. I also don't think this is a particularly exciting piece of land. In the time that the RFEI came and went, the winner was selected, etc, developers turned over a few dozens land deals in the city centre without the rigamarole of a bidding process.

Know it all.

#470 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:33 AM

As I went by, I noticed there is a big sign on the south part of the property, explaining Telus' "vision" for the site.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#471 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:47 AM

Everybody in the industry knew about this, including Telus. It wasn't a secret by any means. I also don't think this is a particularly exciting piece of land. In the time that the RFEI came and went, the winner was selected, etc, developers turned over a few dozens land deals in the city centre without the rigamarole of a bidding process.

Doesn't matter to me what developers do with their own land. I am only concerned with a level of Government selling a public asset and maximizing the value received.

If my math is correct, the land sold for $39 per buildable sq ft. ($8.1M less the $2M 'remediation' benefit).

Edited by spanky123, 10 March 2021 - 11:51 AM.

• 4th_READING_AND_APPROVAL likes this

#472 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,597 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:59 AM

Sounds about right.

Had the City held on to it for another five years, it might have sold then (future tense) for $15 million. Such is life, I guess.

Know it all.

#473 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 12:48 PM

Sounds about right.

Had the City held on to it for another five years, it might have sold then (future tense) for $15 million. Such is life, I guess.

Hmm. I seem to recall that when the City was purchasing the firehall airspace parcel they told us $90 a sq ft was a great deal!

#474 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:46 PM

your valuation is wrong, there is PSF buildable lift above OCP density that is above the $8.1m

Also, the City didn't want residential here, they wanted jobs and innovation.

Wanting this to be sold for residential is such a short term thinking. An equivalent residential building would generate $500,000 a year in Ptax whereas the proposed building will do $1.7m per year. Multiply that by 50 years and the potential $5m bump on initial sale is chump change.

Edited by PPPdev, 10 March 2021 - 01:48 PM.

#475 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:08 AM

Being discussed now. Mayor is opposing staff recommendation to tweak the proposal and bring it back to COTW later, and is instead introducing a motion to have it go to public hearing ASAP. Alto agrees ... and delivers a speech about turning Victoria from a small town into a big city.

Charlayne Thornton-Joe introduced a motion to have the Heritage Advisory Panel review the effects on the surrounding area (Empress, Crystal Garden, Church of Our Lord), referencing concerns by Marin Segger, but that motion failed 4-5.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 11 March 2021 - 12:15 PM.

#476 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:19 AM

I like Charlayne and Martin but heritage impact has little to do with this particular site. I'm glad the motion failed. 

#477 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:28 PM

Majority voted against the recommended referral back to staff, and instead agreed with the mayor and voted 5-4 to send the project directly to public hearing. Helps, Alto, Andrew, Loveday and Potts in favour; Dubow, Isitt, Thornton-Joe and Young opposed.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#478 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:30 PM

Majority voted against the recommended referral back to staff, and instead agreed with the mayor and voted 5-4 to send the project directly to public hearing. Helps, Alto, Andrew, Loveday and Potts in favour; Dubow, Isitt, Thornton-Joe and Young opposed.

The Mayor has too much invested in this project to let public discourse get in the way of approval. I am surprised that she even bothered to get input from staff or the community in the first place. Seems like a waste of time and money.

#479 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the update Jaques.  The fact that Dubow, Isitt, Thorton-Joe, and Young voted the same way (while Stephen Andrew aligned himself with Loveday and Potts) just shows that individual council votes don't always follow (perceived) 'left-right' expectations...

• Jacques Cadé likes this

#480 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:40 PM

An unusual vote in unusual times, perhaps. Many of those who voted in favour said they wanted to show confidence in downtown and didn't want further delay. Those who voted against liked the project generally but thought it needed further refinement.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users