• LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Add it to the ever-growing list!

#8482 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,653 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

It's a serious point, though. The GVCC campaigned very hard for the "yes" vote. They event sent out pamphlets that depicted a bridge with rail right before Victorians went to the polls. They later retracted the material (after the vote) and issued a correction, but it was too late.

In a way Victorians were bamboozled over the bridge, and the GVCC, together with then cycling advocate councillor Luton, campaigned very hard to persuade voters. Years later, here we are.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8483 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

^ I think you mean Luton.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8484 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,653 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

Luton! Yes. I've corrected the post.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8485 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

^actually, since you raised it, cyclists are to blame for the bridge. It was the central reason refurbishment was a problem.

Wow, that is some serious revisionist history. The central reason was, we were told, it was not possible to refurbish and was in imminent danger of collapse due to rust.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#8486 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Anyway the bridge will probably never be completed at this point. How long has this thing been under construction now? 

#8487 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

Wow, that is some serious revisionist history. The central reason was, we were told, it was not possible to refurbish and was in imminent danger of collapse due to rust.

That is simply not true. It was possible to refurbish it and it was never stated by the CoV that it could not be done. It was simply going to be cheaper and we would get a bridge with more modalities and could survive a 9.0 earthquake.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,653 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

That's right. Refurbishment was always an option.

Know it all.

#8489 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

^And that, my friends, is a crime.

Oh, right, crime. Here's some:

The public gallery at the Victoria courthouse was overflowing on Monday to hear Joshua Tyler Bredo's guilty plea to manslaughter and an explanation of why he killed a young Revelstoke musician in August 2011. -

[...]

Bredo was panicked about Levesque leaving and telling his friends and employer about his lies. He grabbed a hammer and struc k Levesque three times on the head. The hammer broke in two. Levesque's scalp was bleeding profusely. He was still trying to leave, making it to the apartment door. The men struggled and Levesque managed to open the door a crack. He said "Let me go. Just let me go" and "Help me. Help me," according to the statement. Bredo pulled Levesque back into the living room. Levesque fell unconscious to the floor. In a panic, Bredo went into the kitchen and grabbed a large kitchen knife and used it on his own arm, stomach and head. He picked up Levesque and placed him face down on the couch. He took the kitchen knife and placed it on the floor close to Levesque's right hand, then lay on the floor close to the hammer head. Bredo called 911 and said his friend had attacked him. Police initially believed Bredo was the victim.                                                                                                          - See more at: http://www.princegeo...h.oXiFIYOu.dpuf

Edited by Rob Randall, 06 June 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#8490 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

What a horrifying story, made so much worse by Bredo claiming to be the victim.

#8491 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,653 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

The closure of the 800-block of Johnson up until just a few moments ago may have stemmed from a gun shot, according to CTV via CFAX. VicPD have not yet confirmed the exact nature of the incident.

One person commented on VV's Facebook that he saw a van parked in the block with a broken window. A passerby mentioned that there was possibly a gun involved in whatever incident had transpired.

Know it all.

#8492 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,884 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

The closure of the 800-block of Johnson up until just a few moments ago may have stemmed from a gun shot...

I am sure it is pure coincidence this is in the vicinity of the CCH..

• pennymurphy2000, On the Level, kafkaesque and 1 other like this

#8493 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

What a horrifying story, made so much worse by Bredo claiming to be the victim.

I suspect we have no idea what really went on in the apartment.  Only one guy lived to tell a story, and the crown simply agreed to accept it.  He was previously charged with sexual assault in the incident.  The reason for the mistrial has yet to be published due to a ban, but I expect can come out now.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 June 2017 - 04:01 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8494 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

Given everything I've read about Joshua Bredo, Joshua Baba, whatever else he's decided to call himself during his years of lying and manipulating, I don't think he has any credibility at all.

• jonny likes this

#8495 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,653 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

A man is in custody following a pellet gun dischard that injured a woman.

Victoria, BC – A man is in custody and a woman was medically treated after a pellet gun was fired from a multi-residential building in the 800-block of Johnson Street and struck a passing vehicle.
Officers quickly responded to the 800-block of Johnson Street at about 3:10 p.m. after a female motorist called 911 to report that the window of her car had blown out and that she had been injured. When they arrived they discovered the woman suffering from non-life-threatening injuries and a window of her vehicle damaged. Officers locked down the block and began their investigation.
Evidence consistent with a pellet gun having been fired was discovered on scene. Officers were able to pinpoint a suite in a nearby multi-residential building from where the pellets were likely fired. They attended the suite and after a brief negotiation with a male resident inside, took him into custody.
The woman injured in this incident was treated on scene by BC Ambulance paramedics.
Our investigation is ongoing at this time, and updates will be issued when available. Anyone with information about this incident who has not yet done so is asked to call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers , please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1- (800) 222-8477.
-30-
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#8496 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Given everything I've read about Joshua Bredo, Joshua Baba, whatever else he's decided to call himself during his years of lying and manipulating, I don't think he has any credibility at all.

He has been sentenced to 9 years.  So he's out in 2.  3 years probation to follow.

#8497 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

A man is in custody following a pellet gun dischard that injured a woman.

Victoria, BC – A man is in custody and a woman was medically treated after a pellet gun was fired from a multi-residential building in the 800-block of Johnson Street and struck a passing vehicle.
Officers quickly responded to the 800-block of Johnson Street at about 3:10 p.m. after a female motorist called 911 to report that the window of her car had blown out and that she had been injured. When they arrived they discovered the woman suffering from non-life-threatening injuries and a window of her vehicle damaged. Officers locked down the block and began their investigation.
Evidence consistent with a pellet gun having been fired was discovered on scene. Officers were able to pinpoint a suite in a nearby multi-residential building from where the pellets were likely fired. They attended the suite and after a brief negotiation with a male resident inside, took him into custody.
The woman injured in this incident was treated on scene by BC Ambulance paramedics.
Our investigation is ongoing at this time, and updates will be issued when available. Anyone with information about this incident who has not yet done so is asked to call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers , please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1- (800) 222-8477.
-30-

Oh ya, those guys in 834 Johnson are rowdy.

No-eviction policy, so I suppose that's good for the shooter.  Shooting someone out your window might get you evicted from a lesser place.  The guy was desperate maybe.  Or when they told him 844 had a legal"shooting gallery" for illicit drugs, he mistook the info.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 June 2017 - 04:17 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#8498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,653 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

I think you meant 844 (834 is the Chard condo tower). I guess we'll know soon enough which building police stormed.

Know it all.

#8499 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

It's a sad commentary on the 800 block of Johnson that as soon as I read the article, I assumed that it was the CCH building, and one of its desperate inhabitants...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8500 aastra

aastra
  • 20,782 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

The central reason was, we were told, it was not possible to refurbish and was in imminent danger of collapse due to rust.

That is simply not true. It was possible to refurbish it and it was never stated by the CoV that it could not be done. It was simply going to be cheaper...

The correct answer is "C". Refurbishment would have been cheaper but it also would have required a lengthy closure that surely would have killed every last downtown business. Maybe we've forgotten how they ramped up the fear **rn about that? Thus, refurbishment was effectively off the table right from the start, because -- as everybody knows -- a slightly inconvenienced driver is a driver that gets fed up and takes his business somewhere else. Especially those big-spending JSB-using drivers from the vast southern neighbourhoods of Esquimalt.

• jonny and Awaiting Juno like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users