Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21442 replies to this topic

#11961 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:33 PM

People like dogs.  They're vulnerable and require human protection.  Haven't you seen John Wick?

Edited by RFS, 23 January 2020 - 02:33 PM.

• sebberry, A Girl is No one and DustMagnet like this

#11962 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

I love dogs. I'm just not sure this incident is a worse crime than the ones I referenced above.

#11963 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:26 AM

“We’re still working with DVBA and various associations on making more consistent coverage, but we’ve had some individual businesses come on board, especially in the last two or three weeks,” said Mirko Filipovic, president of Themis Security Services Ltd. “A good chunk of businesses on the 500-block of Johnson, all the way up to Broad Street, are on board.”

Several businesses on Yates Street have also opted for extra security recently, including Bernstein and Gold, Amelia Lee, Hughes and Patagonia.

Filopovic added that on Friday his company will also be meeting with a group of Broad Street merchants to see if additional contracts can be signed.

https://www.vicnews....flux-of-thefts/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2020 - 07:26 AM.

#11964 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

It's atrocious that businesses, paying the highest property taxes in the city, are forced to hire private security, as a result of CoV policies and priorities.

• sebberry, Hotel Mike, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#11965 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

Last night at around 9PM police shut down Pandora in the 600-block. Three people were arrested by ERT, and a BMW sedan towed away. This all happened in about a 15 minute span.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11966 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

It's atrocious that businesses, paying the highest property taxes in the city, are forced to hire private security, as a result of CoV policies and priorities.

This is super common in San Francisco, who's homeless/crime crisis seems to be the model for Victoria

• sebberry, Daveyboy and A Girl is No one like this

#11967 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:23 PM

So much for "harm reduction".

Victoria Police say officers are responding to a report of an assault with a weapon Friday afternoon. VicPD says the incident happened in the 900-block of Pandora Avenue and one person was found with injuries...

https://www.cheknews...owntown-640121/

#11968 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

So much for "harm reduction".

Do we know any more about this incident, type of weapon etc? Yeah, approach is working well. Housing first... weapons second?

#11969 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

The "humanity" these people once possessed is long gone.

Knifing each other for five bucks, or in some minor disagreement over "taking too big a hit" is simply the new norm on the streets of downtown Victoria.

I think the take away may be that those who crow about how they safely walk the 900 Block of Pandora or the 700 to 900 Block of Johnson, are in reality taking their lives in their hands every time they venture out onto those sidewalks.

With a city government that encourages and indeed promotes such criminal behaviour, and with a series of Provincial and Federal interpretations of the Canadian Charter of Rights that have somewhat unintentionally tied the Police Departments hands as to what it can or can't do with the current situation, I fear it's only a matter of time before downtown Victoria completely loses its soul, which will first result in locals no longer shopping downtown, followed by businesses and their employees seeking to get out of downtown, followed finally by tourism drying up as those tourists realize that, for them, "Victoria" is only the Southern four blocks of Government Street, with the rest of downtown showing boarded up buildings, and crawling with drug addicts and petty criminals 24/7.

.......OK, the above is somewhat of an exaggeration, but whereas such a scenario might have once been considered absolutely impossible in Victoria, it now reads as a distinct possibility coddled and fostered by the repeated re-election of local governments like that of Helps and Isitt, or candidates whose names we don't even know yet, but who share in the belief that it's their mission to treat homeless drug addicts and criminals to a grand lifestyle, with all the rights and respect of any other property owning, hard working, taxpaying resident of the City of Victoria.

• Nparker, Matt R., theboss and 2 others like this

#11970 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

Greater Victoria man killed in Alberta accident was expectant father

Geordie Murray described as ‘wonderful husband, brother son and friend’

A 30-year-old Greater Victoria man killed in a “tragic accident” in Alberta on Thursday leaves behind a pregnant wife and a devastated community of friends and family.

https://www.vicnews....pectant-father/

i've read the article twice.  how did he die?

then i read this:

Alberta RCMP say a B.C. man has died in a shooting incident at a rural area in Rocky View County Thursday afternoon.

Officials say they responded to a scene, in a rural area near Highway 567 and Range Road 280, between Airdrie and Beiseker, at about 3 p.m. on Jan. 23.

When they arrived, they discovered a man suffering from a gunshot wound.

Despite first-aid administered by RCMP officers, the victim, a 30-year-old man from Saanich, B.C., died at the scene.

https://calgary.ctvn...lgary-1.4782231

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2020 - 08:39 AM.

#11971 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

Tenessa Nikirk has been found guilty of dangerous driving causing bodily harm to an 11-year-old Leila Bui. 

Edited by pennymurphy2000, 27 January 2020 - 12:17 PM.

#11972 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

And just how do you suggest solving that concern?

It seems clear to me:  (a) more police are needed (= higher taxes), and, (b) finding some means of discouraging the annually increasing influx of vagrants into our region (leading to lower taxes).  I suppose it's still politically incorrect (and perhaps morally repugnant) to pay for their bus ticket to another city in a distant province.

I strongly disagree with the theme of providing additional 'shelters' for the homeless (as imo, the word gets out that life here is 'free', so it invites more of them from outside our region to come out here and enjoy our moderate climate and lax policies; only moments are likely to pass before the lack of shelter space despite increases, is just as pressing). 

The tax burden of shelter building now, will I think prove trivial compared to the tax burden from foreseeable consequences of boosting our vagrant population and dealing with a much bigger population of them.

jbw

ps.  A couple of weeks ago I spotted one a character, presumably a vagrant (but possibly an 'activist') starting to set up a tent in the middle of the sidewalk outside the 711 at Douglas & Humboldt.  I immediately phoned it in to the non-emergency line at our Police station (they weren't quite sure there was an issue) but I pushed for my report being passed along, presumably to those on patrol to have a word with him (as he was gone without trace when I passed by a couple of hours later).  My thinking was:  he's easily stopped while setting it up, but once it's finished, he then has a 'quasi-home', which could prove much more difficult to contend with. [[besides, I dislike sidewalk obstructions on general principle]]

#11973 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:39 PM

And just how do you suggest solving that concern?...

Try to get citizens to vote more sensibly in the next municipal election. I admit that's a long-shot.

• spanky123, sebberry, Greg and 4 others like this

#11974 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

anybody else feel the media leaves us with lots of questions? even if they do not know the answers (from friends or family or police or residents) why not at least make it clear as a reporter you at least asked the questions.

Geordie Murray, 30, has been identified as the Saanich man who died last week in a rural area northeast of Calgary.

An online fundraising page set up for his pregnant wife, Shauna, said he died “in a tragic accident while in Alberta with dear friends.”

Police in Rocky View County said they responded to a call and found a man with a gunshot wound, and couldn’t save him despite administering first aid.

More than $20,000 of the page’s $50,000 goal had been raised by late afternoon Monday.

https://www.timescol...fied-1.24062637

i'll help:

what was the nature of his visit to the calgary area?

what type of gun was responsible?

who was with him at the time and what were they doing?

last week:

Officials say they responded to a scene, in a rural area near Highway 567 and Range Road 280, between Airdrie and Beiseker, at about 3 p.m. on Jan. 23.

When they arrived, they discovered a man suffering from a gunshot wound.

Despite first-aid administered by RCMP officers, the victim, a 30-year-old man from Saanich, B.C., died at the scene.

STARS Air Ambulance told CTV News Thursday night they were called to respond to the incident, but had been called off by RCMP before the helicopter landed.

An autopsy will take place in Calgary Friday.

The name of the victim has not been released.

Beiseker RCMP are continuing to investigate, but believe the incident is isolated and the victim did not take his own life.

Officials are working to determine if he was shot intentionally or accidentally.

No further details are expected to be released.

https://calgary.ctvn...lgary-1.4782231

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 January 2020 - 07:14 PM.

#11975 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:45 AM

Tenessa Nikirk has been found guilty of dangerous driving causing bodily harm to an 11-year-old Leila Bui.

Defense claimed she did not see the girl. Prosecutors claimed she was driving erratically, tailgated other vehicles, and was texting behind the wheel prior to the collision with the girl.

Her behaviour is all too common on our roads, especially among young drivers.

I have little sympathy for young drivers getting slapped with higher insurance rates. They’re high for a reason. I really hope the rates will keep some of the worst drivers off the roads completely and give some young people who find them too high an opportunity to reflect on why that is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11976 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:29 AM

Chemainus ice cream store’s bear statue stolen  

Owners say they may close shop as a result

The owner of a Chemainus ice cream shop said she is “tired and done” after the theft of a custom carved bear from in front of the shop. Kathy Berscheid-Yeager runs Baby Bear’s Ice Cream Shoppe with her husband Ward Yeager, and caught a thief on security footage early Monday morning stealing the 130 pound statue of the titular baby bear. The statue was part of a family of cone-holding custom-carved bears on display in front of the store and was a popular photo op for locals and tourists for 14 years. Berscheid-Yeager told Black Press it is only the latest in a wave of increased thefts. “There’ll be a lot of little kids that’ll be disappointed because they come all the time to shake the bear’s hand or give him a hug,” Ward Yeager told CHEK.

may close the shop as a result?  that's a bit weak.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 January 2020 - 06:30 AM.

#11977 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:40 AM

^ Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

#11978 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:06 AM

Defense claimed she did not see the girl. Prosecutors claimed she was driving erratically, tailgated other vehicles, and was texting behind the wheel prior to the collision with the girl.

Her behaviour is all too common on our roads, especially among young drivers.

I have little sympathy for young drivers getting slapped with higher insurance rates. They’re high for a reason. I really hope the rates will keep some of the worst drivers off the roads completely and give some young people who find them too high an opportunity to reflect on why that is.

Yup, too much aggression on the roads.  Yet the enforcement response is always speed traps and cell phones at intersections.  Last night I watched a car turning left from Ravine onto Carey almost take out a cyclist (riding on the sidewalk, mind you) after failing to signal.  The driver then tailgated all the way through the construction zone with an open lane to the left and failed to signal twice more when exiting the highway or turning up Six Mile Road.  

I'm not in favor of younger drivers facing higher insurance rates.  Sure, jack them up after an at-fault crash, but let's not penalize the ones who are good drivers.  I started driving at 18 and haven't had one ticket or crash.  Let's not paint all younger drivers with the same brush.

• Midnightly likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11979 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

Oh for sure, I'm not saying all young drivers are bad. But all young/new drivers share one thing in common whether they like it or not: inexperience.

You don't get to play in the Superbowl because you've learned how to throw a football and are a good sport on the team, is what I'm saying.

Know it all.

#11980 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

There is a reason I waited until my mid-20s to get a licence. I was self-aware enough to know I was an idiot and would end up with ridiculous insurance rates.

Too many rush in (especially in Alberta where you can get your L at 14) and then become dependent on a car for their entire adult lives. Nothing like an IKEA trip via public transit to build character... though I could've done without the three kilometer hike with a bookcase on my back at the end.

• Matt R. likes this

~ Jasmine ~

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Matt R., pontcanna